Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [andrewintown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewintown wrote:
Agree with all above.
Do it, be prepared for hot/wet/bad weather and take the advice of the guys from the bike shop as to whether you should go or come back another day.
I did it in a 1 day mission - flew in from Kauai, rented a car, drove to Maui Cyclery, got a bike, up, down, drive to aiport, hamburger+beers, fly back to Kauai. ~8 hours on Maui all up.
4 hrs up 1hr40 down based on cycling (commuting) ~200k a week.
Vest+armwarmers+2 waterbottles and some powerbar things... wore fingerless gloves but could have done with fingers.
Carry some money for food & drink along the way.
Carry a garmin for the mandatory FB/Strava/whatever posts

...carry a credit card, too! The ranger station at 7000 ft absolutely requires a CC to pay the $12 bike entrance fee.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Via Waipoli and Skyline. Units are in kms. It's about 10% shorter than the regular climb... so it's extra steep! I think it could be done on a road bike... I'm going to try!

I rode the fire road for maybe a mile or so past the top of Waipoli so get an idea of where it went. If you make it up there on a road bike I'm going to be so pissed off and jealous that I don't know what I'll do! :-)

Please post about it when you give it a try. I'd love to know if it's possible.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just watched some videos of Mamane Trail. Yeah... don't think it's possible on a road bike.
But... adding another couple miles contuining down Waipoli to where it meets Skyline and then take Skyline straight to the top might be doable.
I would have to be perfect weather. Any precipitation would make ascending impossible and descending back down dangerous as hell.
The plan would be to descend on the paved route once I reached the summit.

I'll be in Maui last week of March... so maybe attempt on March 30 or so? I'll document it here if I do.
I'm going to go purchase a compact crank now...
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [trigeeky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it twice, once good weather once not. #1 advice is bring a credit card to get into the park, they don't take cash!

The bad weather time it was pouring and 38 degrees after 7000ft. I had a rainshell and threw on winter gloves for the descent. Pedaled the descent hard while braking to keep warm. If you are freezing, the good thing is you'll be baking in Maui soon enough.

I rented a basic tarmac from west Maui cycles, affordable and worked well. Depending on how strong you are might want their Roubaix which has more gearing. I was 3:22 up, 1:00 down starting in Paia. I did 3 bottles and refilled at visitor center and was fine.

Have fun it's a great ride and people at the top think you're the coolest thing on sliced bread for riding up.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntc wrote:
I've done it twice, once good weather once not. #1 advice is bring a credit card to get into the park, they don't take cash!

HUGELY important point that I forgot. Very important.

Thanks for catching that.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ntc - 1hr down!? Wow, that's ~30mph avg downhill including the switch backs - impressive!

Thanks ntc@ and dfroelich@ for the credit card tip. I could have easily forgotten that! I know many park entrances that accept cash only but never heard cc-only.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling to Halaekala Summit in Maui, Hawaii! [trigeeky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always a chance of rain...be prepared.
Quote Reply

Prev Next