Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my fit
Quote | Reply
I’ve ran this bike fit all season, initial fit from tad hughes in houston. Only thing I changed was recently added tilt to my aero bars and im much more comfortable in my arms and shoulders now.

I finished up my season yesterday with a 2nd best in age group bike split out of 29 (I’m excited so I’m gonna brag!) and 4th overall. 2nd place was on 0:01:15 faster overall.

Finally got some good shots on the bike that looks good for critiquing, so I’m curious everyone’s opinion.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a video?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i do not. i guess that’s a bit more beneficial than static shots huh.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Just sticking my caliper on the screen, I can see that your highest point is solidly under two wheel heights. So it's no surprise that you're pretty fast.

I would try a tailed helmet that connects a little better with the hump in the middle of your thoracic vertabrae. Just get a used LG or Giro Advantage. For $50 or so it's worth a try.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd bring the saddle forward 5-10 mm. Saddle needs to drop a tiny bit I think, but bringing the saddle forward may do the trick.

Edit:

Actually leave the saddle where it is fore-aft. Just drop the saddle 5 mm.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Oct 22, 18 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no you were right... I'd be interested to see what bringing him forward and adding reach would do. For long course, I'd also be curious to see how he reacted to different saddles than the one he's using.

that said, he's so far inside the box right now that any changes, even small ones, should be done in person with immediate feedback on how it feels, not to mention any potential aero gains would likely need to be tested.

trentnix wrote:
I'd bring the saddle forward 5-10 mm. Saddle needs to drop a tiny bit I think, but bringing the saddle forward may do the trick.

Edit:

Actually leave the saddle where it is fore-aft. Just drop the saddle 5 mm.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 22, 18 14:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit looks great.

Total aside, and apologies to derail, but I hadn't fully appreciated how much the tactical fares the rear wheel with that cut out. Am I right that the cut out actually wraps around the sides of the tyre, and overlaps (for want of a better word) the sidewalls almost?

Any issues with clearance? Wider tyres on? Debris?

Horizontal dropouts? (which I'm fine with)

As I'm writing this I'm thinking this is probably asked and answered in the Premierbike thread, but my ass is too lazy to go look at midnight..
Last edited by: knighty76: Oct 22, 18 16:31
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Total aside, and apologies to derail, but I hadn't fully appreciated how much the tactical fares the rear wheel with that cut out. Am I right that the cut out actually wraps around the sides of the tyre, and overlaps (for want of a better word) the sidewalls almost?

Any issues with clearance? Wider tyres on? Debris?

Horizontal dropouts? (which I'm fine with)
1. yes!

2. ive stuck with the "factory" size tire that comes with the bike. i havnt dabbled with anything else. i havnt had the first issue with debris or anything.

3. horizontal. i prefer a bottom drop out, but ive gotten used to the horizontal.

overall the premier is a fantastic bike. im very happy with it.

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
no you were right... I'd be interested to see what bringing him forward and adding reach would do. For long course, I'd also be curious to see how he reacted to different saddles than the one he's using.

eric,

im interested to know your reasoning on looking at different saddles.

i tested a few different saddles at the fitter and landed on the ever popular ism saddle. at around an hour (with no chamios butter) i get some pretty good chafing going on between the boys and my inner thigh. i tend to move around on the saddle some to try and get comfortable. with butter its not much of an issue, but in reality you cant rely on that after a swim.

i tested out the fizik tritone during initial fit process. i really wanted to like that saddle but you perch way out on the front of that sucker and it just digs into your perineum. ive been thinking about renting one again for a longer term test and see if i can get used to it as it would eliminate the issue im running into.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't get me wrong, your position is fine... it was just the first instinct that popped into my head (and one other fitter) when I saw the two static pictures. You seem ever so slightly "slack". I'd like to see how you reacted to being more forward, from all three aspects of a fit... comfort, power, and aerodynamics.

Regarding saddle, you're describing a quite common situation regarding the ISM. I'd use Body Glide instead of butter as it's thicker and will last longer after a swim. As for the Mistica, I don't seem to have a problem personally with any soft tissue contact as I'm contacting pubic bone on the two ends of the Mistica.

It's an art form how to properly sit on a saddle, for each saddle. Each one has its own optimal contact point, for *each* one of your position changes. I'd give it another try.

damon.lebeouf wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

eric,

im interested to know your reasoning on looking at different saddles.

i tested a few different saddles at the fitter and landed on the ever popular ism saddle. at around an hour (with no chamios butter) i get some pretty good chafing going on between the boys and my inner thigh. i tend to move around on the saddle some to try and get comfortable. with butter its not much of an issue, but in reality you cant rely on that after a swim.

i tested out the fizik tritone during initial fit process. i really wanted to like that saddle but you perch way out on the front of that sucker and it just digs into your perineum. ive been thinking about renting one again for a longer term test and see if i can get used to it as it would eliminate the issue im running into.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply