Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Finally got to .17 CdA with MorfTech bars [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I only communicated with Frank through email. But from that it was clear that he was a guy with a great sense of humor and a cleverness and passion for what he did. I am very sad for his family. I'm guessing from his early prototype videos he had at least one young kid. That's heartbreaking.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got to .17 CdA with MorfTech bars [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard third or fourth van something about running into a truck/bus. I haven’t seen anything on the news or in the local papers though which is weird.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got to .17 CdA with MorfTech bars [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

Ok. I think I might have this figured out.

I did a test the last two days on the indoor trainer. For reference, my FTP on this device is around 260 watts. So I did a fair effort, but nowhere near max.

Trial #1 Mantis Position
Elevation: 2200 feet
Temp: 70 deg. (no fan)
Avg Power: 240 (erg mode)
Duration: 40 minutes
Avg. HR: 141

Trial #2: 10 deg aerobars (same drop &etc. as Trial 1)
Elevation: 2200 feet
Temp: 70 deg. (no fan)
Avg Power: 240 (erg mode)
Duration: 40 minutes
Avg. HR: 140

So really no difference. That contrasts with the limited tests I've done outdoors, where I have felt like there's about a 10-15 watt power difference.

I have a theory, but am interested in what you guys think is going on....

Hint #1:

Here's a photo of my t-shirt after the workout:

Hint #2

rruff wrote:
I don't lose power in mantis. Mantis is quite the fad in UK TTs now and I doubt they are losing power either.

The most important part of this thread is what is written on the T Shirt (OK I am biased as I have two close family members who went there for their MSc)....OK back to morph
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got to .17 CdA with MorfTech bars [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I heard third or fourth van something about running into a truck/bus. I haven’t seen anything on the news or in the local papers though which is weird.

I met Frank when he was traveling through Tucson and got to try his Morf-Tech bar in a poorly lit parking lot at a park at night. It was an awesome experience. He had like 3 TT bikes neatly lined up in the back of a minivan/SUV.

There is no information online about the circumstances of his sudden death. There might be a lawsuit, open police investigation, etc, and maybe some sorts of a gag order?

I hope we find out eventually. Houston roads are amongst the deadliest in the country.

Condolences to Frank's family and friends.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got to .17 CdA with MorfTech bars [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like the family has set up a trust to help with the children's education:

https://www.legacy.com/...35725&fhid=10720
Last edited by: brianwchan: Feb 4, 19 15:30
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got to .17 CdA with MorfTech bars [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Springett was killed last week after crashing his bicycle into a school bus"

The idea that an experienced cyclist like Frank would crash into a 13-ton bright yellow high viz object baffles me. Most school bus vs. bike crashes are due to the school bus driver failing to yield.

https://abc13.com/triathlete-remembered-after-fatal-bicycle-crash-involving-bus/5122425/

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got to .17 CdA with MorfTech bars [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the ST main page will dig into this and cover it more? I hope so.

While we have never tried his bars, it seems like Frank's invention was a significant and practical contribution to the sport and to the state of the art.

Definitely worthy of some detailed Slowtwitch coverage of what happened, and perhaps an idea of where things will go from here.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Finally got to .17 CdA with MorfTech bars [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, there is a major lack of info on this. The news reports make it sound like he was at fault (he crashed into a bus), but no details are given.
Quote Reply

Prev Next