Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dopers in other sports
Quote | Reply
So, watching Brewers vs Dodgers tonight, I see A-Rod and Braun are still allowed to participate and profit even though they are convicted dopers. Why do some still hate lance, but the baseball crowd is fine with dopers?

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do some still hate lance, but the baseball crowd is fine with dopers?

My guess is that people don't hate Lance for doping, they hate him for the way he treated other cyclists, writers, massage therapists and anyone else who dared raised doubt against him despite the fact that they were right.

Also, they are likely cycling fans and couldn't care less about baseball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a bit different story with those two versus Lance.

How many times did Lance lie? How many people did he take down?

Braun admitted guilt fairly quickly and served his suspension.

Lance waited until after he retired the second time to even think about coming clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of people still hate A-Rod! Not just for doping, but he was never a very likable guy.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 19, 18 21:22
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually Bruan and Lance have very similiar "stories".

Braun failed a drug test and threw the tester under the bus. Every chance he could for 1 year he threw MLB and the tester's integrity under the bus. He got off on a technicality, and then not 2 years later was busted in an investigation for being part of an drug doping ring. He was then and only then suspended. He actually received an longer sentence than normal because of his comments disparaging the testing program and the tester (conduct detrimental to baseball for the disparaging comments of MLB and the tester). He went so far as to get players to support him against the tester and accused the tester of being anti-Semite.

The only real difference is one sport is held to a higher standard and the other isnt. You can get busted up to what 3 times before it's even an year or 2 suspension. 1st offense in MLB is like 50 games...1st offense in cycling is now 4 years (2 during Lance's reign).

I think for the most part "our" sports (U.S. sports- baseball/football), these guys are our "heros". So it means if your guy is busted, he's the scum of the earth, but if my guy gets busted, it wasn't his fault..please hurry back and help my team win. But also drug testing really doesn't matter, it's not this honorable thing like it is with WADA. It's just part of the game, if you fail, you fail, you serve your suspension and come back. Sure your "marked" but that seems to be the way we treat U.S. sports dopers. Now you dope in an "olympic" sport (track and field/cycling etc) and your scum of the earth, and how dare you cheat.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 19, 18 21:26
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Braun failed a drug test and threw the tester under the bus. Every chance he could for 1 year he threw MLB and the tester's integrity under the bus. He got off on a technicality, and then not 2 years later was busted in an investigation for being part of an drug doping ring. He was then and only then suspended. He actually received an longer sentence than normal because of his comments disparaging the testing program and the tester (conduct detrimental to baseball for the disparaging comments of MLB and the tester). He went so far as to get players to support him against the tester and accused the tester of being anti-Semite.

The only real difference is one sport is held to a higher standard and the other isnt. You can get busted up to what 3 times before it's even an year or 2 suspension. 1st offense in MLB is like 50 games...1st offense in cycling is now 4 years (2 during Lance's reign).

I think for the most part "our" sports (U.S. sports- baseball/football), these guys are our "heros". So it means if your guy is busted, he's the scum of the earth, but if my guy gets busted, it wasn't his fault..please hurry back and help my team win. But also drug testing really doesn't matter, it's not this honorable thing like it is with WADA. It's just part of the game, if you fail, you fail, you serve your suspension and come back. Sure your "marked" but that seems to be the way we treat U.S. sports dopers. Now you dope in an "olympic" sport (track and field/cycling etc) and your scum of the earth, and how dare you cheat.

Keyword "stories"

But Braun did admit fault and apologized far more quickly then Lance ever did. Yes he did try to work his way around several times but came out with his admissions for more quickly (and during the prime of his career) then Lance did.

Not giving Braun any justification here. Hell I ended my season tickets when this all happened and haven't gone to a game sense.

But yes the punishments are far different from the "big" sports versus the olympic sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the saying goes, if you dont have to test- dont.

Going into Rio Olympics, basketball had this stipulation for WADA testing- NBA players were only allowed to be tested 6 months prior to the Olympics....but IOC wants Lebron and the big bucks those players bring so they bend over and take and basketball gets it's way. But no one gives a shit for track cycling/high jump/curler/downhill skier...bro your getting the drug tester every 3 months and if you fail, your career is now pretty much done.

Follow the money, doping positives are bad for business.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 19, 18 21:46
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
A lot of people still hate A-Rod! Not just for doping, but he was never a very likable guy.

I thought it was because he slept with Madonna.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

x2 on this as the core reason: Now you dope in an "olympic" sport (track and field/cycling etc) and your scum of the earth, and how dare you cheat

Why do you think the NHL is reluctant to participate in the Olympics. The under the table deal is that if you bust a hockey player, make it a non NHLer like someone playing third line on the Latvian team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a newsflash for you - I grew up playing baseball at a high level in the late 90's and early 00's. I was told outright by a coach to make it I'd have to get on the gear...it was extremely rare to find anyone playing at a high level who wasn't on one thing or another

ETA: obviously I chose not to, and one of the reasons I didn't go any further. I pretty much had a line put through my name as soon as I said I'd never touch anything
Last edited by: rock: Oct 20, 18 3:29
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, same as most cyclist.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I recall MLB is not a signatory to the WADA code just like the NFL. They make their own rules and only started to take the testing somewhat seriously after the backlash of the steroid era.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that there are differences in cultures between sports, and I don't think you can overlook the amount of money in some of these team sports, but I think it's possible that a large amount of the difference is due to a differing public perception of certain sports. Rightly or wrongly Endurance Sports such as cycling, triathlon, running, etc arse seen as having much more of an advantage when one takes performance enhancing drugs. Many team or skilled sports, it seems as though people often give athletes a pass, saying that drugs don't help you with I hand coordination quickness or just skill. And yes, as with almost anything the public is inconsistent take for example the homerun record in baseball where many of the numbers are seen as extremely tainted by PED use.

Kyle
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Why do some still hate lance, but the baseball crowd is fine with dopers?

My guess is that people don't hate Lance for doping, they hate him for the way he treated other cyclists, writers, massage therapists and anyone else who dared raised doubt against him despite the fact that they were right.
Braun threw the guy who administered the failed drug test under the bus. A-Rod threatened to sue MLB (IIRC).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

Is this the same Ryan Braun who failed a drug test, then attacked the test administrator and got the test thrown out on made-up technicalities?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
As far as I recall MLB is not a signatory to the WADA code just like the NFL. They make their own rules and only started to take the testing somewhat seriously after the backlash of the steroid era.

Correct, they are not part of WADA. They want their sport to be juiced to the gills to maximize the heroics and the show, but they have to put on a veil of anti drug PR just so what happens to Rock who posted above does not get down to the little league level which it would if it became an outright free for all. Johnny's dad (who plays first base in the 10 year old league and is leading the league in RBIs) who did not make it past high school ball and had grandiose visions of a personal MLB break through will now lace his son's nutritional consumption with every stupid advantage he can give Johnny since everyone on the Dodgers or Red Sox is on the same stuff.

So given that MLB knows this stuff is dangerous for pros, but they want the pros to accept the danger to maximize their wallet thickness, they don't want Johnny on the same stuff yet, because if Johnny dies, gets cancer, or something stupid, its blood on their hands since they condoned the free for all....and they don't make revenue off Johnny (yet), so its a risk they don't want to be linked to in some class action law suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
907Tri wrote:

Is this the same Ryan Braun who failed a drug test, then attacked the test administrator and got the test thrown out on made-up technicalities?

The same braun who was still awarded the MVP after the positive test over Matt Kemp.

At least in WADA sanctioned organizations when someone gets busted they get a significant suspension usually 2 years. MLB 50 games and NFL 4 games

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

x2 on this as the core reason: Now you dope in an "olympic" sport (track and field/cycling etc) and your scum of the earth, and how dare you cheat

Why do you think the NHL is reluctant to participate in the Olympics. The under the table deal is that if you bust a hockey player, make it a non NHLer like someone playing third line on the Latvian team.

Where the h did you hear this garbage? This is 100% not why the NHL doesn't want to compete in the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Feb 2012:
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/sports/baseball/braun-wins-appeal-on-positive-drug-test-and-will-avoid-suspension.html

From July 2013:
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/sports/baseball/braun-comes-clean-but-damage-is-done.html

2011 popped drug test, and even though drug tester followed protocol, Braun fought (on the grounds that the 2 days the sample spent in the fridge had been tampered with, even though ZERO evidence was found) and won. Drug testing officials voted 2-1 in Braun's favor, effectively discrediting their own processes. I'm not a baseball fan, but I am a Packers fan, so I've been cheering on the Brewers this postseason, but every time this guy steps up to the plate, I think "doper." I say that about LA, too, but he's not a pro anymore and, in my opinion, has served his time - both legally and ethically and in relation to the public eye.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Dopers in other sports [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did bust a bunch of NHL players who got banned and couldn't play international... 2 years each

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Berard

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Théodore

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply