Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a general reply to this thread. Daniela, according to wikipedia, is 3 cm shorter than Patrick Lange and 1 kilo lighter. That's it between our two champions. So comparing his bike split in the train vs hers solo, and keeping in mind the delta in watts per kilo between them (his should be higher on account of being a man) and given that his aero position at the surface does not seems any better than hers, then the delta in bike splits between them seems reasonable.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying that if she had more trains and less jellyfish bites then she could've gone even faster?
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also just a general reply, but doesn't Daniella always ride a much faster 2nd half to the bike each year? What was her times last year for each bike segment compared to the pro men and other pro females?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In his blog Wurf said he backed off heaps as he wasn't gaping the group as much as he needed due to the calm conditions and domestique.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In his blog Wurf said he backed off heaps as he wasn't gaping the group as much as he needed due to the calm conditions and domestique. //

I'm going to call utter bullshit on this. First of all, he saw the chase group for like what, 1 minute at most? SO in that one minute he was able to ascertain that they rode that way for more than that minute, how was that?? Of course he has since watched the race looked at the commentaries, and has since overplayed that opinion on what he though he was thinking during the race. And I did not get that is why he slowed down, it seemed that he was just feeling that it was time to start thinking about the run, with his 7 minutes in hand.

It's ok that he has his opinion of how the race played out, there is just no way he could have surmised any of it during the brief turnaround where they saw each other once, for a few seconds. I liked his recap, and I figured he had come to have a great race, one that most would not have expected from him. Unfortunately he had the race everyone did expect of him, so back to the drawing board. Honestly, he may just be a victim of the Kona heat, and that is a hard one to overcome after hour 7 out there...
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His essay is so long he should have some sources cited or someish: http://cameronwurf.blogspot.com/

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's ok that he has his opinion of how the race played out, there is just no way he could have surmised any of it during the brief turnaround where they saw each other once, for a few seconds.

------

You are correct, but that wasn't the only info that he used to come up with that conclusion. All the pros get time splits from either officials or their "camp" along the way. I saw 2 times on the way out officials giving splits to the leaders on a clipboard. And I guranteed you anything, at the turn around someone in his camp was relaying him quick info as they were riding 12 mph and with the special needs area. Then when he saw it for himself, that was the 3rd piece of info to make that logical conclusion. So no it wasn't just that 20s of seeing the "teamwork"....it was understanding the splits and relayed info that all athletes get from their camp during the race that allowed him to see it for himself and say "well done boys, game on". "
I couldn't help but admire what they had managed to do, it was really really clever. Keep the fastest runner on your team as close to the front as possible and let him loose. The Brownlee's mastered this tactic in London, i just never thought I'd see it happen in an Ironman. Well gloves where off, it was just as i imagined it would be, me v's the german's. "

Why did he say 20 miles to go he "shut it down"? From time gaps he is given throughout the race..... "As the miles ticked down i noticed the gaps weren't blowing out as they usually would with how quickly i was going."

(Wurf's comments in bold/underline)

ETA: no pro in 2018 is riding "blind" and only getting info based on what they see from the race. They are all the time getting info within the race.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 19, 18 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah he’s an ex pro cyclist, he’s getting splits and knows how to play the game when things aren’t happening. What i thought was good was that he didn’t get pissed that were riding as a group, he thought it was a smart tactic for the conditions.

I think he generally looks at average speed, not power, you can see he dropped the power at the backend while maintaining his average speed of over 43kph. As in i think he has a split in mind that he needs to have a chance of winning.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Oct 20, 18 0:20
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - I thought Wurf might have eased it off to run better. He really wants to run well off the bike, and honestly looked decent when he was out there.

When Ryf got to Hawi, Sutton tweeted something to the effect of Daniela was about to unleash her sting on the race - so it was absolutely the plan to crush the back half of the bike course. That's what they had trained for. Race execution at it's finest.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Are you saying that if she had more trains and less jellyfish bites then she could've gone even faster?

LOL....she would have outbiked Wurf, who as we know trains with Sky :-).

I am in the camp of first assuming that everyone we see is pushing the grey zone of pharma enhancements to the limit just like they all push the edge of the draft zone. I THINK we as fans are literally in an omerta mode that pro triathlon is filled with choirboys vs pro cycling, track of swimming. In my mind, all of these athletes are pushing the grey zone where they are trying to get away with as much as possible without geting popped. I am just asssuming that Ryf, Charles, Lange, Frodo, Sanders.....everyone is on anything that could be available to the Chinese swim team. Astana, Sky, Jamaican sprinters, the New York Yankees or the New England Patriots of Juventus.

Having gotten that out of the way, I can then watch sport for sport and hope the anti doping police keep the clamp on all the glatiators so they keep the competion inside a tight grey zone box and don't engage in the likes of the UCI endorsed free for all that started in 1991 and continued till roughly 2012 or therabouts. So I will just need to assume that Ryf is as clean as everyone else. You guys choose what that means. The speculation is all speculation until athletes get popped. In the mean time, I need to watch sport, like I need to breath oxygen, even if my oxygen comes with pollution, I'll still breath it rather than die!

I personally think that in the spectum of cleaner to dirty pro triathletes (again whatever that means), Ryf likely is on the cleaner side, in that she has the ultimate physiology for long course Ironman racing with is largely a different one from ITU racing.
Quote Reply
Re: How is this possible (D. Ryf last 70k in Kona) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
His essay is so long he should have some sources cited or someish: http://cameronwurf.blogspot.com/

His blog on an 8 hour race was too long? For someone who likes endurance sports u seem to have a short attention span...
Quote Reply

Prev Next