Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Simple questions about the IM Texas course
Quote | Reply
I'm considering IM Texas 2019 and have a few questions about the course. I have read through previous posts and have not found the answers I'm looking for.

Before we start: Yes, yes, I know, flat, lots of drafting. Thanks.

Swim: Starts pretty early in the morning. Is it still pretty dark? I believe it's generally non-wetsuit, is that right? Is it right on the cusp or is a wetsuit unlikely (I'd actually prefer no wetsuit from a competition point of view, but I get pretty cold in luke warm water). If it's almost certainly non-wetsuit it would be nice to know a while in advance so I can decide if I want a swim skin or not.

Bike: Flat, I know. I have heard mention of expansion cracks. Does that mean there are road cracks every 10-20 meters the whole length of the toll road, ba-bump...ba-bump...ba-bump? I would think that would get annoying after five hours. How is the road surface (other than potential expansion cracks)? Smooth/rough asphalt, concrete, what? Gets pretty crowded on the second lap, right?

Run: Again, flat. I know in the past the course was entirely/almost entirely concrete (ugh). Is that still the case? Any shade on the run?

Thanks very much.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple questions about the IM Texas course [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim will start in daylight. It's certainly dark for the various morning procedures, but by the time the gun goes off there is going to be plenty of daylight.

It's about a 50/50 shot on wetsuits, especially with the slightly earlier date in April. It was wetsuit-legal this year, but I believe in 2017 it was not.

The road surface on the bike, at least on the Hardy Toll Road is impeccable. A large portion of the absurd speeds people were pulling, aside from the pelotons, was simply due to the amazingly smooth road surface. Yes there were some expansion joints, but nothing like every 20m or whatever. There were some. Not a lot. Surface is concrete. And yea that second lap was super crowded. But that's literally every IM course that has more than one lap of something.

Run course is like 80% concrete. There is one hill you have to climb off the waterway up a grass path up to the road surface that you do three times. A short portion is on asphalt road. But the vast majority is on a concrete pathway. Be prepared for HEAT. Also the second lap is going to be a bit crowded, but nothing like the absurdity of the third lap. If you are a front packer you very well might find yourself skipping aid stations on the third lap just to avoid the shitshow.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple questions about the IM Texas course [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

You know, we should start a 'Course Wiki', kind of a clearinghouse for basic information about a variety of races. What do you think, Slowman?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind a flat course. I'll caution you though, if you are looking for any sort of distraction on the bike course (ie a view of anything interesting) this is not the race for you. It's 112 miles of concrete with some billboards along the way. It's pretty terrible when I compare it to other IM races I've done.

I'm there to race and all, but would prefer to not be riding on a highway through suburbia.

I raced in 2017 and will never return unless that bike course is changed because it is just flat out boring.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

You know, we should start a 'Course Wiki', kind of a clearinghouse for basic information about a variety of races. What do you think, Slowman?

Best idea I’ve heard on this forum in a long time!
Quote Reply