Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Live Coverage Feedback [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't watch the coverage, but tried following the race via the twitter feeds and such throughout the day. My biggest gripe the past few years is the need for some sort of real-time tracking of the athletes...not waiting for splits and how far behind they are by somebody on a twitter feed. I'm curious how I can watch my friends run 11 minute miles in the Chicago marathon in real time, but can't get real time of pro-athletes in the biggest race in the sport. I want a real time leader board with how far each person is from the lead.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Live Coverage Feedback [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with a lot of your points. It seems like at every moment where there *could* have been some tension/excitement building, it wasn't picked up on. I hate to say it, but the drama of Kona is how the sport is going to start picking up more and more of those casual watchers as opposed to us die-hard Slowtwitchers. I'm guessing in the edited version they will really focus on the Ryf jellyfish sting and all of the *adversity* she had to overcome.

A lot of people have commented "yeah but it was better than every other year, so don't complain". But let's remember that Wanda bought WTC for $650 million, and the production value of their world championships event should correspond to an organization of that size and revenue. As other people have mentioned, even having things like real-time athlete trackers doesn't seem to be that difficult, and would help the commentators have a more accurate picture of how the race is unfolding. Yes, I am very fortunate that I got to watch 9 hours of coverage from my laptop halfway across the world, but I also think that's to be expected in today's day and age.

I'm just trying to view this from a non-endemic sponsor perspective like Amazon. It's been very tough to find any specific details about what they paid for the title sponsor slot, but I'm guessing that it's approaching 8-figures, and I just wonder if after watching that livestream they are left scratching their heads with the quality of the production. It will be interesting seeing how much the NBC edited version brings up Amazon and the various swim/bike/run course sponsors. And whether or not future non-endemic sponsors are drawn to or move away from WTC (because this Amazon deal is only for one year).

The Gram: @agyenis
My latest story on Swimswam: More than a title
Quote Reply

Prev Next