Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: First Ironman at Louisville Race Report - 1st AG/3rd Amateur [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man! I just read your post in the Louisville weather thread. It sounds like you are due for a perfect weather IM on your next one!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4391866

Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman at Louisville Race Report - 1st AG/3rd Amateur [jsaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredible performance especially for a first IM!

What did you do specifically as protection against the weather?

I was unsure how to deal with it and opted to go with socks, gloves that claimed to be water proof and windproof, and arm warmers, but otherwise stayed with my usual kit. Like you I started up near the front and swam about 14 minutes, and shot out of T1 averaging around 23+. And for the first 15 miles everything felt fine. I was wet but not cold. But right around the first hills my body went from "fine" to "very not fine at all" in a massive hurry. I realized I was in trouble going up Grandma's Hill the first time, and then the descent was terrifying as I couldn't stop shaking to descend safely. I passed the special needs area the first time looking at the EMS crew there and wondering if I should drop out. I pressed on, and after that left turn past the school, when the real rollers started, I realized I was in big trouble. I couldn't pedal much. My hands and feet were numb blocks. I could not get my water bottle out of its cage nor able to unzip my bento to get to my nutrition, let alone try to eat anything.

I went from averaging 23+ on 215 watts to barely making 100 watts and rolling at like 13mph and people started passing me. When the left turn at mile 32 came up and I saw volunteers under a tent I made the call to pull out. Best decision I ever made because I knew full well I was not going to be able to ride another 80 miles in this state.

You stated that you were glad you didn't overdress. I tried to do something similar (not overdress) but I am regretting not trying to find something like a GoreTex jacket to wear. Maybe if I had been able to keep my body dry I wouldn't have been hit so badly with hypothermia. I am a bit smaller than you (148lbs) so maybe that made part of the difference?

Anyway curious if you think anything you did in particular helped against the weather.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman at Louisville Race Report - 1st AG/3rd Amateur [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I didn't do too much to protect myself against the weather. On the bike I just wore my sleeved tri-kit, long cycling socks, thin gloves and had castelli toe covers on my shoes. I didn't want to wear a jacket/tights because aero right?!? In hindsight I don't think I would have changed anything except maybe getting gloves that had more grip on them.

Don't get me wrong, I was definitely cold during parts of it and my left foot did go a little numb, but for the most part I didn't mind the cold/rain. I have a heavy sweat rate so any time the temps are under 70 the weather suits me. For those that are on the "bigger" side I think being able to push more watts on the bike enables more heat to be created and warm the body. That's probably broscience though. I think anyone that was smaller in regards to height/weight probably struggled a lot more than I did on that day.

Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman at Louisville Race Report - 1st AG/3rd Amateur [jsaunders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm always impressed by anyone who can race their first Ironman, there's so much unknown. Great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was 3rd to you at Firmman in September. Looked you up afterwards to see who you were. You absolutely crushed that race, and glad to see you did the same at Louisville. Congratulations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job, congratulations!!!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman at Louisville Race Report - 1st AG/3rd Amateur [wmcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm always impressed by anyone who can race their first Ironman, there's so much unknown. Great race!

Thanks man!

wmcc wrote:
I was 3rd to you at Firmman in September. Looked you up afterwards to see who you were. You absolutely crushed that race, and glad to see you did the same at Louisville. Congratulations.

Thanks! Firmman was an interesting race that's for sure. Windy as hell and cool but we got lucky with no rain! I think I may have swam on your feet the entire swim. I was getting a little motion sick from the rocking of the waves and current and couldn't wait to get out of the water.

Quote:
Great job, congratulations!!!
Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was impressed you could stay on my feet given how choppy the waters were. I was pretty dizzy in transition from the waves, and you took off like a bat out of hell and I basically never saw you again. Have done that Firmman race twice and love it.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman at Louisville Race Report - 1st AG/3rd Amateur [wmcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea it's a shame that this was it's last year. Good, small, local race and a pretty fair course although the run is a little short. The last section on the beach is brutal though!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize this was the last year for Firmman. What happened?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peeing on the run is a Zen moment.

Great job on the race, btw.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman at Louisville Race Report - 1st AG/3rd Amateur [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That gave me a good laugh...but congrats to him...as the Brits would say ....'well done....well done'...

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race company, FIRM, is closing shop and this was the last year of all of their races. It sucks because they offered a lot of sprint/oly distances in MA/RI. I’m not sure if any will get picked up.

Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman at Louisville Race Report - 1st AG/3rd Amateur [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
Peeing on the run is a Zen moment.

Great job on the race, btw.

I can only imagine haha!

Quote Reply

Prev Next