Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me that would be $6k max, depending on how much we had already used this year for our out of pocket max. So no not 100k.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
This is why I don’t understand why ERs aren’t require to have non-emergency staff/clinic at the hospital. You stub your toe and came to the ER, that’s great we have a GP that will be with you. It may take 2 hours because there are 4 people who also stubbed their toe in front of you but you aren’t going to be seeing emergency staff.

Certain ERs (Level I trauma centers) are required to have emergency staff on standby (on call) to cover severe trauma/emergencies. This staff includes trauma surgeons, neurosurgeons, ortho, etc...

Besides that, most of the staff in most ERs are called "emergency medicine docs" but they may be a family practice doc, or internal medicine doc, who happens to practice in the ER. Today, many ER docs are residency trained in emergency medicine but most stuff that comes in to the ER is not true emergency medicine. A lot of it is primary care medicine that happens to take place inside an ER. Also, many ERs now use nurse practitioners or physician assistants to help with a lot of the non-urgent care in the ER.

Sure, but you still get billed as an ER visit. I’m saying if you have a junk reason you get to go to the non-emergency department and if it takes 4 hours to get to you it takes 4 hours you shouldn’t have come to the hospital for your stubbed toe.

Currently, you could see the janitor and they would still bill as an ER visit.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
H- wrote:
How many Canadians in the US for healthcare are required to fit the definition of flocking?

If you asked Trump's supporters in Kentucky if they've run into a Canadian in the doctors office, or seen Canadian plates in hospital or clinic lot, how many would say yes?

Are you worried that Trump is trying to build support for building a northern wall?

The closest figures I can find is 42,000 Canadians took healthcare in the USA, but consider for example I know a Canadian woman in a hospital in Boston this very moment because she got sick while visiting not because she crossed the border to get a procedure done so we can't assume all these visits were to get procedures done to avoid a waiting line in Canada. The article I posted listed 1.4 million Americans as receiving healthcare outside the USA. No mention of that by Trump.

Maine seems chock full of Canadians living here or visiting. I would hope those folks don't count as it would skew the data.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
By mentioning back surgery, you're choosing the worst possible example. Low back surgery has around a 25% success rate and in many cases it can make the condition much worse. I know a guy who spent $33 K for back surgery in Florida and the operation was not successful. He was told by two orthopedic surgeons in Canada that he shouldn't get surgery in the first place, but he didn't listen. I think there probably is a % of Canadians going to the USA who are like him. The clinics in the USA are for profit so are much more likely to accept patients for back surgery as long as they've got the ability to pay.

I was going to say for many patients any thing that lessens the chance they are going to have back surgery is probably a good thing :)
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
eye3md wrote:
I was at a coffee shop in Whistler and met a guy with a fresh surgical scar on his knee. Started talking with him and found out he's been living the "ski bum" dream for twenty years (he's in his 40's). His comment to me was "took me four months to get my surgery but at least mine was free. Where you live, this would've costs too much damn money".

I'm not an expert on the Canadian healthcare system, nor the US system but:

- my wife had knee surgery and she got in within a week for the first one and two weeks for the second one. Maybe it's an isolated case having to wait a few months for elective surgery (in Canada)? I don't know if this is always the case or not so I'm asking for others' experience with this?

- it bothers me when someone believes they are getting something "for free". As I told this guy, "it's not free, someone is paying for it". Same as when I worked in ERs. The Medicaid patients didn't pay a dime for their care. Some would come in to the ER 30-40 times a month for care that most of us would simply take Tylenol for, and wait it out. It didn't cost them anything so they had zero concern about using the resources. I asked a few why they didn't just let it run its course and the reply was always "why should I doc, when I can come here for free".

- regardless of how I felt about his "free" comment, I was envious of the fact that this guy, a Canadian citizen, was able to get his surgery done and did not seem to have any worries about the financial consequences to his life or family. I don't know what the answer is for coverage of all American citizens but it really bothers me when I see an adult, with a job, and they have no insurance so healthcare is a huge concern to them financially. Single payer is not the answer......I work with the Veterans Administration now and it can be a bureaucratic nightmare.......but I don't know what is the best solution. It's very complex.

To my understanding, the #1 cause for bankruptcy in the USA is inability to pay medical bills. That's a non issue in Canada.

If I can find the paper, I will post it here, but the research into medical bills being the number one cause of bankruptcy was apparently a very faulty study with questions skewed in such a way to manipulate the answers. I will see if I can find the analysis

I believe what they did was say that any bankruptcy that had medical debt no matter the size of that debt was medical debt related. So if you had a $25 medical debt and you went bankrupt it was medical related. I will look for the article when I get home also.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
eye3md wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
This is why I don’t understand why ERs aren’t require to have non-emergency staff/clinic at the hospital. You stub your toe and came to the ER, that’s great we have a GP that will be with you. It may take 2 hours because there are 4 people who also stubbed their toe in front of you but you aren’t going to be seeing emergency staff.

Certain ERs (Level I trauma centers) are required to have emergency staff on standby (on call) to cover severe trauma/emergencies. This staff includes trauma surgeons, neurosurgeons, ortho, etc...

Besides that, most of the staff in most ERs are called "emergency medicine docs" but they may be a family practice doc, or internal medicine doc, who happens to practice in the ER. Today, many ER docs are residency trained in emergency medicine but most stuff that comes in to the ER is not true emergency medicine. A lot of it is primary care medicine that happens to take place inside an ER. Also, many ERs now use nurse practitioners or physician assistants to help with a lot of the non-urgent care in the ER.

Sure, but you still get billed as an ER visit. I’m saying if you have a junk reason you get to go to the non-emergency department and if it takes 4 hours to get to you it takes 4 hours you shouldn’t have come to the hospital for your stubbed toe.

Currently, you could see the janitor and they would still bill as an ER visit.

True, but that would require changing the mindset of the patient population that comes to the ER. If you go into the ER, you have to be seen. Pretty much every ER is worried about an EMTALA violation. The majority of patients come to the ER for non-emergent stuff that should not be seen in the ER to start with. Plus, if they are Medicaid then the patient will be paying zero to very little out of pocket, meaning it will not matter (to them) if they are seen in a primary care doc's office or the ER.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
I had (at the time) what I consider to be “not that great” insurance, when I had shoulder surgery in 2016 (Dec).

My surgery cost me $3200. Now, hike my taxes, over my working career, and what would that cost me (to fund govt run healthcare)?

Oh. I got an MRI on Thursday and my ortho did my surgery the next Wednesday.

Besides protecting me from foreign adversaries, I can’t think of another thing the government does better than the private sector.

Seems like you're both confused about who is "really good at" healthcare in the US. Medicare is popular with people covered by it - and they're the old sick ones. It has lower admin costs than commercial insurers. And from a provider perspective, Medicare is only slightly worse than commercial insurance. To the point where simply moving everyone to Medicare would NOT be a money losing proposition to hospitals. We could simply cut about a 1/3 of our finance staff and be A-OK.

And yes, you probably would save some money too.

What is profit margin or roi in private sector? How many middlemen/brokers?

How much is malpractice insurance relative to service? What percentage written off to indigents/bad debt.

Is there better way practically than fee for service?
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
SailorSam wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
I had (at the time) what I consider to be “not that great” insurance, when I had shoulder surgery in 2016 (Dec).

My surgery cost me $3200. Now, hike my taxes, over my working career, and what would that cost me (to fund govt run healthcare)?

Oh. I got an MRI on Thursday and my ortho did my surgery the next Wednesday.

Besides protecting me from foreign adversaries, I can’t think of another thing the government does better than the private sector.

Seems like you're both confused about who is "really good at" healthcare in the US. Medicare is popular with people covered by it - and they're the old sick ones. It has lower admin costs than commercial insurers. And from a provider perspective, Medicare is only slightly worse than commercial insurance. To the point where simply moving everyone to Medicare would NOT be a money losing proposition to hospitals. We could simply cut about a 1/3 of our finance staff and be A-OK.

And yes, you probably would save some money too.

1. What is profit margin or roi in private sector? How many middlemen/brokers?

2. How much is malpractice insurance relative to service? What percentage written off to indigents/bad debt.

3. Is there better way practically than fee for service?

I took the liberty of numbering your post to answer in chunks.

on #1 - are you asking about private insurance or private healthcare providers? Private insurance is very profitable. Just check out the public financials of any of the large insurers. I'll save you the search - Anthem posted 22.9 billion in gross revenue (premiums etc.) with 17.9 billion in cost of revenue last quarter alone. I.e., their "gross margin" was almost 23%. Net net, after paying for all of their costs they still managed a 4.6% net income margin. Multiply everything by 4 for annual figures. Last year they had almost 13billion in SG&A expenses...or 14% of revenues. Medicare, for comparison (and taking care of SICKER patients) is somewhere around 2% for admin I think. In other words - almost 20% of everything you pay for in healthcare is going to administration & profit at insurance companies. Woooo hoooo - market based solutions!

#2 - malpractice is expensive but honestly not all that much. Just looked over to my other screen. One of our subsidiaries has 17 docs. Malpractice was 700K for the year. 40K/per physician (some of this is for the facility too...nurses etc....but I spread over the doctor population). We pay physicians 10x that amount in salaries & bennies on average. Real bad debt writeoffs are about 3% of net revenue. True indigents who are not totally homeless and paperwork free have Medicaid. Medicaid does pay less than cost but the pieces we writeoff for that are not considered bad debts. They're contractual adjustments. I'm not chasing that right now - point is that if everyone paid Medicare rates, we'd be breaking even.

#3 - some form of pop health management or other. A hybrid system where care is managed by feds based on acuity with a paralel PRIVATE system that's fee for service. Something like every other developed nation has. Hard to do here when half the population believes complete fables about 'market based solutions' and the other half ignores that extremely powerful players are happy with the way things are (insurance companies, physicians, med schools, pharmaceuticals, equipment and durable medical goods manufacturers). To a lesser degree, even hospitals do alright this way. It's a stupidly complicated system that rewards administrators like me at the expense of nurses who scoop up shit all day but that's where we're at.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My younger sister has been nurse for about 3 years...in surgical suite and you are right she doesn't make squat, works long hours and on call fairly frequently. She once shared the markup on biologicals it was incredible.

Imagine how much we could save if all those at trump rallies would lose a few pounds.

Thanks for info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
So that's what Trump told his faithful base in Kentucky to prove that government healthcare is "bad, bad, bad". Did some research and 1.4% of Canadians did seek healthcare outside of our country, but the stats aren't clear as to how many actually went to the USA as other countries would have been involved. I know people who have gone to Mexico for example to get a quick $150. MRI. They certainly won't spend ten times that in the USA. These stats would also likely include CDN tourists travelling abroad and needing healthcare where they were visiting as well as people with dual citizenship (legal in Canada) seeking healthcare in their other country. What the Donald failed to mention to his base bubba's was the large amount of Americans who seek healthcare outside the USA.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/...Care-Year-Should-You

But that's par for the course. Just ad another Trump fib to the list of the 4000+ documented untruths he's told.

Honest question: how is Canada going to deal with reduced revenues and increased expenditures as its population ages (fyi, Canada has a much larger demographic problem than the U.S.)

https://www.macleans.ca/...-government-coffers/

How long will Alberta continue to subsidize the rest of the country before its residents say "enough" and declare independence (which is legal and comparatively simple in Canada)? That doesn't seem like an outlandish proposition either, given the wild rise the Wild Rose Party has seen.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
So that's what Trump told his faithful base in Kentucky to prove that government healthcare is "bad, bad, bad". Did some research and 1.4% of Canadians did seek healthcare outside of our country, but the stats aren't clear as to how many actually went to the USA as other countries would have been involved. I know people who have gone to Mexico for example to get a quick $150. MRI. They certainly won't spend ten times that in the USA. These stats would also likely include CDN tourists travelling abroad and needing healthcare where they were visiting as well as people with dual citizenship (legal in Canada) seeking healthcare in their other country. What the Donald failed to mention to his base bubba's was the large amount of Americans who seek healthcare outside the USA.

But that's par for the course. Just ad another Trump fib to the list of the 4000+ documented untruths he's told.

Honest question: how is Canada going to deal with reduced revenues and increased expenditures as its population ages (fyi, Canada has a much larger demographic problem than the U.S.)

How long will Alberta continue to subsidize the rest of the country before its residents say "enough" and declare independence (which is legal and comparatively simple in Canada)? That doesn't seem like an outlandish proposition either, given the wild rise the Wild Rose Party has seen.

Boy you didn't even wait a day before dipping into that wacky tabacky did you?
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't smoke and I don't drink. Never have and never will.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess Canadians are all flocking to the USA for healthcare.... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

The wildrose party was only around for nine years before they merged with the conservatives. In the last election they had less than 25% of the vote. IMO their extreme right wing views reached their maximum number of voters before people left for the conservatives. Including 9 elected MLAs who crossed the floor.

As to your revenue vs expenditures question, I have no idea. I'd think we'd raise more revenue via taxes, increase immigration, and cut expenditures.

And I really don't see many people seriously talking about Alberta leaving Canada despite the unfair equalization payments. We'd rather change the equalization calculations and criteria to be more fair to all .
Quote Reply

Prev Next