Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona !
Quote | Reply
Well, not seeing too much discussions about Bart, so leaving a thread.

Probably not much Belgian here, so a french will do it :-)

Great perf for Bart.
Silver medal, with a sub 8 time.

Make sense for me. Why ?

Recently i found (do not remember where, maybe on this forum) a picture of a board showing best VO2 Max performances measured in a pro lab (I think in the Nederland).

Bart was on the board (Belgium next to Nederland), with a result of 6,75 w/kg. Don't know exact VO2 Max procedure used by this lab (initial watts, watt increment value, delay between increments, ...). In France I know there is at least 10 different methods used, depending the lab (only talking about officially certified labs), each method giving slightly different results.

What is relatively independent from method variation is comparaison to others.

Bart was just next Steven Kruijswijk (not a typo) 6,83 w/kg. This guy was winning Giro last year (or year before ?), just stopped 1 or 2 day before the end by a massive crash.

And also just below Rohan Dennis 7, 04 w/kg. The guy was Hour Record holder, World Champion in Team Pursuit, one of the best performer in individual pursuit (pushing Bobridge to its world record), and is current TT world Champ. And probably capable of winning grand tours.

I was wandering why, with such physical capabilities, Bart results were not that visible at world level.

Now it is done !

In a typical ST note, i would say he can probably improve its bike position for further aero gains :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that the cyclocross rider Bart Aernouts or a different one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think someone could have made some good money betting on bart this year! i wonder if anyone was even giving odds?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Doubtful, because the former cyclocrosser was never at the true top level. He wasn't going to beat Nys, Wellens, Albert, Groenendaal etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Doubtful, because the former cyclocrosser was never at the true top level. He wasn't going to beat Nys, Wellens, Albert, Groenendaal etc...

That's what I was thinking and he's retired now so probably fairly old.

I looked up pictures of the triathlete and it's a different guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bart's swim has been a bit of an achilles heel, which results in him having to come back on the bike and run (where he is really strong). I'm a Belgian but to be honest, I did not expect him within the top 10.. Amazing race by a fellow countryman!
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Benv wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

That's what I was thinking and he's retired now so probably fairly old.

I looked up pictures of the triathlete and it's a different guy.
Those were the numbers of the cyclocrosser Bart Aernouts, a different one. He was part of the Rabobank Continental Team together with Rohan Dennis.
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bart's swim has been a bit of an achilles heel..."

Duathletes unite! But seriously, when I saw him in the group w/TO and Currie, I wanted him to run down Lange just because of his duathlon pedigree. Fast dude. Great race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely the cyclocross Bart, not the triathlete.

He seems to be quiet and is always under the radar, despite some stellar performances. He has:
- 3x top 10 at 70.3 worlds (2012, 2014, 2015 – didn't race 16-18)
- Before this year, 3x top 10 at Kona (2013, 2014, 2016).
- Also has a few other turns at both world champs with top 15 (Kona 2012 + 2017, 70.3 2013).

Bart has one of the best track records in the field!

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Last edited by: Staer: Oct 15, 18 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Bart was on the board (Belgium next to Nederland), with a result of 6,75 w/kg. ...
I was wandering why, with such physical capabilities, Bart results were not that visible at world level.
In a typical ST note, i would say he can probably improve its bike position for further aero gains :-)

Unless they're adding Mt. Kilauea to the bike course, W/CdA is the metric of performance. The w/kg # is great, but not necessarily relevant here.

To answer your last question--some athletes have a very visible presence in social media and carefully chronicle their successes. Others don't. Maybe that's why there's less chatter about him? No doubt BA has a massive, well-tuned engine, and he deserves huge credit for an all-time performance. I think you're seeing that credit, but he will be overshadowed because someone else one-up'd him. But if he keeps up this level big results will follow, and everyone will clearly be sending the love his way.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most thrilling, in fact the only thrilling moment in Saturday's race was when Aernouts only was 1:40 back on Lange at the turning point in the Energy Lab.
A shame for Aernouts that the gap increased than a bit.
Probably Lange could have gone even faster, I don't know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, I think Aernouts' performance is being massively overlooked, this was definitely a break-through day for him. He is very deserving of his own thread. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a 54 min swim no less... You hear that Lionel Sanders? 54!!!

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
.... W/CdA is the metric of performance. .

And Daniela showed it!
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep showed that being back on the swim is no reason to quit
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He raced an amazing race! I kept watching through the night praying he could hold on to 2nd place in the marathon. Proud that, from a small country of 11mi people, we can celebrate a 2nd place in the pro WC, 2x AG wins and all 71/71 Kona athletes finishing the race (if im not mistaken).

Even though he's not a social media triathlon celeb, he's not too bad at giving interviews if you ask me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaglrQgOknE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been following Bart for a few years. He has always had a great run in Kona, and I believe he has had the fastest a couple times.

Saw him name on the list and I'll admit I wrote him off. Didn't think he would be able to do it anymore as he usually comes from the back on the run. Too many runners now, too deep of a field.

And he totally had me eat crow.

Bart finally achieved a race he has been aiming for for so long. I hope we get to see more of Bart at the front in Kona again.
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Definitely the cyclocross Bart, not the triathlete.

He seems to be quiet and is always under the radar, despite some stellar performances. He has:
- 3x top 10 at 70.3 worlds (2012, 2014, 2015 – didn't race 16-18)
- Before this year, 3x top 10 at Kona (2013, 2014, 2016).
- Also has a few other turns at both world champs with top 15 (Kona 2012 + 2017, 70.3 2013).

Bart has one of the best track records in the field!
Not to forget he won Challenge Roth in 2017.
Quote Reply
Re: Bart Aernouts : also sub 8 in Kona ! [trisomemari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Lanzarote as well last year, and France in 2014 when he also finished top-10 in WC 70.3, WC Kona and WC Maui Xterra. I knew about the Lanza-Roth double but just saw the other stats on wikipedia because I wanted to double check the facts.

So not too shabby, but always has to come back after the swim as a former top duathlete. Strange that this year when everyone was saying it benefitted the runners staying in a pack, that he kept his cool and slowly worked his way to the front. If the conditions were worse he could have maybe had a bigger head start in the run compared to Lange. But next year will be different anyway, and what is nice is that he at least recognizes that. No Lionel second place syndrome here.
Quote Reply