Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jury Duty [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I've been summoned once and got placed for a 2 day trial. Bad thing was I had to go in the first day to see if I was eligible, they decided I was so then I had to call in every weekday for a month to see if my number had been chosen. I called in faithfully for 3.5 weeks, forgot to call in on the last Thursday I was supposed to. Got a voicemail that said I had been chosen and I had 30 minutes to show up or be in trouble.

I ended up swaying half of the jury toward the not guilty side so we ended up with a mis-trial. I had a feeling the guy was guilty (felony DUI) but the state did such a shit job of providing any evidence whatsoever that I didn't think we could convict him based on the evidence provided. The cop didn't do any field tests, no blood tests, just "thought the guy was drunk" and the prosecutor decided we should just take the cops word for it.

The prosecutor met us out in the hallway afterward to ask us why we didn't convict, I had fun telling him he did a shit job.
Quote Reply
Re: Jury Duty [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just made it through day one. Didn't get called yet but have to go back tomorrow in case the lawyers dismiss any of the jurors that got picked. Judge said it's going to be a 4 week criminal case. Going to claim a hardship if I get picked. Own a small business and being out for 4 weeks wouldn't be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Jury Duty [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Duffy wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Next time, when you get the letter saying you have jury duty just send them a letter saying you are a single parent and cannot make it.

Been working for me for almost 30 years.

Lying to the court. How honorable.

You’re such a good person.

No, but I've never lied to the court. Never committed perjury.

Good for you.

Your lucky around here, if you did that all it would do is get a police officer to visit you for skipping out on Jury duty.

Personally wish I would get picked more often. Only been called once and then didn't even get called into a Court room.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Jury Duty [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Duffy wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Duffy wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Next time, when you get the letter saying you have jury duty just send them a letter saying you are a single parent and cannot make it.

Been working for me for almost 30 years.

Lying to the court. How honorable.

You’re such a good person.

No, but I've never lied to the court. Never committed perjury.

Good for you.

Your lucky around here, if you did that all it would do is get a police officer to visit you for skipping out on Jury duty.

Personally wish I would get picked more often. Only been called once and then didn't even get called into a Court room.

I just pay off the local cops around here with free drugs.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Jury Duty [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been called but not selected in the US.

i was on a jury when i lived in the UK. There was no selection process - just 13 of us called (12 + 1 reserve in case one of us recognized the defendant or something). 3 days i will never forget and i am glad i had the opportunity to do it once.

with all the discussion in this thread on illegal/undocumented immigrants .......my wife and i were each called for jury duty in the US before we were citizens so i don't know what they were using as a mailing list. Needless to say we declined.
Quote Reply

Prev Next