Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unusally bad (weather) year for US events?
Quote | Reply
I can't remember a year when so many US Ironman events were affected by weather events; it was bad enough here in Europe with the summer heat-wave, but I'm struggling to think of a 140.6 Ironman in the US that hasn't been affected by something this year?

Which events went ahead as planned?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
I can't remember a year when so many US Ironman events were affected by weather events; it was bad enough here in Europe with the summer heat-wave, but I'm struggling to think of a 140.6 Ironman in the US that hasn't been affected by something this year?

Which events went ahead as planned?

It wasn't just IM events. Both the USAT Sprint National Championships (NDL @ Cleveland, DL @ Bradenton) had the swim cancelled. We're sending our 18 best Sprint Duathletes to the Triathlon World Championships.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
climate change? Not pink

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Maryland went as planned. September and October can be very rainy.
Rivers (like the Ohio and Tennessee) will flood now just like they did hundreds of years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had to slightly modify the bike course at Maryland due to high water, but still got the almost full distance (I had 111 miles). Weather was absolutely perfect on race day, though a bit warm when I was running.
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
climate change? Not pink
Yup, welcome to the new normal ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the issues some events seem to have almost annually, I do wonder if some of them are in poorly chosen locations.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, Maryland was very good after a few years of poor conditions one way or another. Kona conditions appeared way better than normal. Weather is just hit and miss. Something we all need to be able to get used to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder and Whistler went off as planned, although both were unusually warm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 years ago when I was new to the sport and started tracking friends doing IM the races never appeared to be impacted by weather. It was something you wouldn't even have considered beforehand, that the course would have to be changed at the last minute or the swim cancelled. Nowadays the chance of having a standard 140.6 distance is maybe 50/50 at best - which very much sucks for first timers. I have done (only) 6 IM's but luckily for me none of them had distances modified or partially cancelled.
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, swimming in rivers isn't ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What US IM (too many 70.3 to pay attention to) has never been effected/altered by weather?

IM WI?
IM AZ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations humans for destroying the natural balance of an entire planet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Shoulders swim in Chicago cancelled due to weather (only 2nd time in history)
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Big Shoulders swim in Chicago cancelled due to weather (only 2nd time in history)

2nd time in 3 years, though.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:

Regardless of one's thoughts on climate change, there is a difference between weather and climate. This is about weather in a normally volatile time of the year, which just so happens to have occurred in 2 consecutive years. This isn't a trend yet, at best it's a blip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
I believe Maryland went as planned. September and October can be very rainy.
Rivers (like the Ohio and Tennessee) will flood now just like they did hundreds of years ago.

While they CAN be very rainy, depending on the whims of tropical systems, over time September and October are two of the drier months of the year, and typically low flow on the Ohio and Tennessee.

This year was quite unusual over a fairly large area.
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
What US IM (too many 70.3 to pay attention to) has never been effected/altered by weather?

IM WI?
IM AZ?
Isn't IMAZ in November because of weather? E.g, it used to be held in March and was pummeled by wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:

IM WI?
IM AZ?
Isn't IMAZ in November because of weather? E.g, it used to be held in March and was pummeled by wind.

Well, IMAZ can still be windy and/or rainy in November. I think the question, though, is whether the event ever had a canceled swim or shortened bike or run leg due to weather, and I believe the answer is no. In 2015, though, they'd had a lot of rain before the event that caused some runoff into Tempe Town Lake, and as I had some stomach issues after the swim I wondered about the water quality that year.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't think any portion of IMAZ was ever canx or cut short, but when I did it in 2010 we were lucky to have the swim. Here's how the lake looked not too many weeks before the race.

Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced it that year - had no idea it had been that bad!
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [RJSuperfreaky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The global climate drives weather patterns and those weather patterns have been increasing in extremes and volatility for decades. As far as scientists are concerned it's absolutely a trend and very likely has multiple anthropogenic causal factors. We've been fucking it up for generations and now we are starting to see the ramifications.

RJSuperfreaky wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:

Regardless of one's thoughts on climate change, there is a difference between weather and climate. This is about weather in a normally volatile time of the year, which just so happens to have occurred in 2 consecutive years. This isn't a trend yet, at best it's a blip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
With the issues some events seem to have almost annually, I do wonder if some of them are in poorly chosen locations.

I think WTC used to put an awful lot of thought into when and where a race was. It had to be a good place to race and the time of year mattered with an eye towards the weather.

Now I think they put a lot of thought into how many people are within a day's drive and then hopefully they can make a passable course and run the race at the time of year that people will like and sign up.

In North America we went from 1 to 2 to 6 and now to 12 along with a couple dozen+ 1/2's. You used to get Graham Fraser and the entire experienced IM crew setting up a course. Now you get a local RD who has franchised the name.

When you go through that kind of change you are going to put yourself in a position where more things interfere with race day.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Santa Rosa and Texas went as planned this year, as well as the aforementioned Whistler and Boulder. Whistler could have been bad, the fires/smoke around here (throughout the PNW) were really bad in mid August.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Unusally bad (weather) year for US events? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
The global climate drives weather patterns and those weather patterns have been increasing in extremes and volatility for decades. As far as scientists are concerned it's absolutely a trend and very likely has multiple anthropogenic causal factors. We've been fucking it up for generations and now we are starting to see the ramifications.

RJSuperfreaky wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:

And then there are known, and there could very likely be many unknown yet to be discovered, positive feedback loops. This is going to get worse faster than the most pessimistic predictions.

We need to cut carbon emissions pronto. And then start planting trees, or maybe bamboo because it grows very fast, letting them grow, then burying it underground, and we need to keep doing it until CO2 returns to normal. That's basically like putting all those carbon atoms in oil and coal back where we found them.
Quote Reply