Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
dunno wrote:
BryanD wrote:
They are very slow helmets

I just googled and couldnā€™t find anything-do you have any links to tests?

Or because Rudy give them away for free to increase their results in the Kona count?

LG was giving away helmets too....
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
Ummm...the Canyon and Scott are definitely super bikes. The admittedly long-in-the-tooth Trek is still pretty much a super bike, especially with the latest version mods. So is the Felt IA, especially the new one with the deep fork, and disc brakes.

I guess I meant 'spaceship' bikes, i.e. with non-traditional frame designs. Most of the top end pros seem to ride traditional, triangle frame type bikes, at least based on the photos.

It would be cool to see a pro field bike count.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Slow Poke wrote:
kiwi. wrote:
dunno wrote:
BryanD wrote:
They are very slow helmets

I just googled and couldnā€™t find anything-do you have any links to tests?

Or because Rudy give them away for free to increase their results in the Kona count?

BINGO! They gave them away to folks a few years ago to athletes and asked that they wear them during the race. Most participants at Kona are returning athletes so it makes sense that Rudy always has a strong showing.

Sorta like Cervelo. While they make great bikes, their dominance at the bike counts are likely due to athletes who bring the same gear over and over as opposed to actual new sales.

Absolutely.

Cervelo and Rudy place the way they do due to historical sales/marketing rather than current trends
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:

Absolutely.

Cervelo and Rudy place the way they do due to historical sales/marketing rather than current trends

How many years ago did Rudy give away some helmets? From what I can gather it was 2012? Id find it hard to believe all those people are the same ones competing now AND still wearing the same helmet....
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
I donā€™t see who would want that groupset. Itā€™s not wireless in reality. You lose 1 wire from Di2. I certainly wouldnā€™t go with FSA over Shimano if all Iā€™m losing is 1 wire.

GTN on youtube had a quick overview of Michelles bike and they mentioned the TT setup uses a 'blip box' similar to the tap set up so 'wireless' as you say actually means '1 less than Di2 and way more than eTap'

Not a chance would I risk having it unless I could carry around a spare with me just incase!
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone no what extension and elbow pads Lucy Charles is using?
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without having to think very hard I can come up with 4 pros on P5x:
FVL, McNamee, Cheetham, Cunnama

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undies wrote:
Without having to think very hard I can come up with 4 pros on P5x:
FVL, McNamee, Cheetham, Cunnama

1/4 of that quartet had a good race...does anyone have any thoughts as to why?
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they just arent as fast...cant put that on the bike or even their position really.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
they just arent as fast...cant put that on the bike or even their position really.

But to have your worst day at Kona (time wise) on the fastest day in history - why would that be? Just having a bad day or something more fundamental? When injury or sickness aren't the reason. I've never raced Kona so I am asking out of curiosity.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Anyone no what extension and elbow pads Lucy Charles is using?

Not sure about extensions but the pads are these https://www.revolverwheels.co.uk/...re-tribar-arm-rests/
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Thanks to the thread sponsor TriRig.com for the content. Full gallery can be viewed here:
https://www.tririg.com/...nman_Hawaii_Race_Day

Tririg makes a fantastic front brake. You could head over to their site to support.

Seat too high award goes to Lucy Charles, unanimously

I'm no bike fitter but it looks like she has the wrong size frame. Her seat post is a low as it can go without her rear bottle holder hitting her water tank/sail/rear lunch box/cargo trunk thingie.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or she has the wrong size water sail attached to the right size frame. If she put on a smaller bladder reservoir, or trimmed it down, she would be able to fit the bottle under the saddle.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no bike fitter but it looks like she has the wrong size frame. //

That is just an optical illusion, caused by the fairing on the back. It actually looks like a smallish frame for her, the fairing seems to be the problem, I think? Not sure if they are adjustable or not, someone who knows this bike can chime in. But she has plenty of seat post showing, actually too much showing..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getting a bigger bike is the first thing she needs to do

monty wrote:
I'm no bike fitter but it looks like she has the wrong size frame. //

That is just an optical illusion, caused by the fairing on the back. It actually looks like a smallish frame for her, the fairing seems to be the problem, I think? Not sure if they are adjustable or not, someone who knows this bike can chime in. But she has plenty of seat post showing, actually too much showing..(-;

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you get the water out of that giant new water tank on the Spesh?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! šŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
rruff wrote:
TriRig wrote:
https://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2018_10_Ironman_Hawaii_Race_Day

Great photos!

Is this an optical illusion, or does Lionel have some huge tires on his bike? Also, anyone know the model?

Tires Grand Prix 4000 II 23mm...

All details about is bike setup can be found here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf9UCWL31sU

Lionel looks like he is 2 inches further back relative to the bottom bracket on this set up vs previous years. I think this would stress his lower back and hamstrings more and that guy has already said his hamstrings are not that flexible. All of this would affect his run and maybe he rode slower off the same power because he sat up more for this position and keep in mind he had less drafty air that he got off Wurf last year vs this year.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Kyle, is that you?

Andrew, did Specialized "lose" the race for Lucy?

It looks like her frame cannot allow for the saddle go lower and she could easily be 3-4 cm lower, generate a lot more power, get to T2 faster and have more hamstring, calf and lower back glycogen reserves left for the run.

I think you told me back in 2006 or so, that most riders can go 1 inch lower or more off their optimal position and not lose any power, and even gain power if what they think is their optimal position is way too high. I would love to see a test done on Lucy on a trainer at incrementally lower positions in 1 cm increments.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing that struck me while looking at pics was how far forward Heather was on that awful bike, confirmed in both tririg pics and ST's article so she likely wasn't just moving around. Is that a bad thing? Perhaps in a cross-wind that handles better with more weight in the front?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Yep thatā€™s why I run 20mm SuperSonics. They blow out to 25mm on + rims and look perfect from aero perspective.

Excellent tire/wheel choice.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Notice anything interesting about Michelle Vā€™s groupo? šŸ˜€

Maurice

I really like what Vision has done with the brake levers.
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Yep thatā€™s why I run 20mm SuperSonics. They blow out to 25mm on + rims and look perfect from aero perspective.

I had 25mm GP4000S that blew out to ~28mm so I went down to 23. There was barely any room left in the P3 cutout
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. this frame size is already very short ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: The annual Cheers and Jeers re Pro Bike Fits and Setup in Kona [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Sean H wrote:

I had 25mm GP4000S that blew out to ~28mm so I went down to 23. There was barely any room left in the P3 cutout

Continentals tend to run big to begin with and the Jet+ rims make them even bigger. Seanā€™s wheel/tire combo is the fastest Iā€™m aware of from an aero+crr perspective.
Quote Reply

Prev Next