Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Understanding Security Cameras
Quote | Reply
I'm feeling the need for security cameras around the house. Lately my community has had an uptick in property thefts and although I realize security cameras won't necessarily stop crime it will at least discourage it. Which systems are better? Some say Arlo wireless, what would the limits be with that type of system? Also, I'm curious what the limits of the wired systems, what's the maximum cable run?

Pros & cons of both types of systems would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Understanding Security Cameras [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just install some fake security cameras. I think they are about $5 each.
Quote Reply
Re: Understanding Security Cameras [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are only good for pointing at your neighbors bedroom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Arlo wireless security cameras. You're limited to about 100' from the base station. They work very well but they are pricey. The motion sensor is quite sensitive so you get a lot of false alarms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out wyze cameras.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Understanding Security Cameras [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most homeowners can't afford cameras nice enough to positively ID a person well enough to catch them after they already invaded your privacy and probably still stole some things.

Given that........get fakes.

Seriously. Most consumer level home cameras aren't good unless you're staring the person in the face from like 5 feet away.

If you WERE going to get only ONE nicer camera that can see things, put it where you can go back through coverage and get every single license plate that passes by your home. I've had a cop tell us that all the real camera stuff for homes is crap. For retail they do it so people don't steal cash on the job or for shop lifting prosecution.

Otherwise, monitored security system and passive things like eliminating sliding glass doors and picture windows without reinforced framing, reinforce your doors, sharp/pokey bushes under windows, etc.....
Quote Reply
Re: Understanding Security Cameras [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got an eight camera set from Swann. The cameras are surprisingly good. The problem I found when I began installing was unless you have cameras at every corner it's easy to miss someone, so I went with eight cameras, which covered all access points plus one in the garage. I also recommend wired, which there are two types. One type of wired powers the cameras through the existing cabling from the DVR unit, the second type requires a separate power source. I have an outlet in my attic, but went with the DVR powered for easier installation. Ultimately I went with a professional install, for my house at least, this was not a one-man job. The kit I bought didn't have near enough cable to begin with, plus the installers switched out the cheesy ass OEM cables with some seriously stout stuff.

The remote software (SwannView Plus) leaves a little to be desired, it loads incredibly slow. But it provides a little peace of mind when traveling.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Arlos and they work very well. They do beg the question though, and then what? I have crystal clear videos of two guys trying my car doors in my driveway over the last couple of months and of a young woman stealing an Amazon package from my door step. 2 of the 3 concealed their faces and I don't recognize any of them.

The most use we get out of our cameras is checking how long our dog walker is out for.

EDIT to add - I have to wonder if some of the above commenters have actually tried to use modern cameras. The quality is incredible. One of the door tryers was looking at his phone and I can pause the video and tell which app he was looking at (Spotify). The quality is fantastic and they (Arlos at least) are very easy to use.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: Bretom: Oct 15, 18 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: Understanding Security Cameras [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The goal is to provide peace of mind. After having a couple of bikes stolen out of our garage, I put in a Swann 8 camera NVR system. We have one camera inside the garage, so if someone were to come in we would have a recording of them, and if it were someone known to us (such as the neighbor I'm 90% sure stole them) we could ID them easily. It's also good for those "did I close the garage door" questions. The other 7 can show when someone is on the property, a package arrives, etc. You wouldn't necessarily get a great portrait but if you place them well you could certainly identify someone you know....which is all you need since most thefts are by someone you know, and if it's not someone known to you or the police they aren't going to catch them even if you have a perfect photo. Capturing a license plate is very hard, but you can get car model, color, and maybe driver description. The NVR type with PoE could theoretically be put on a UPS and you would record even if the house power were cut...which on my house takes nothing more than walking up and throwing a switch on the side of the garage.

We have a couple of wireless cameras indoors that are good for monitoring the baby sitters and kids.
Quote Reply