Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Truing a slight wobble in my rear wheel - is this an easy fix?
Quote | Reply
I have a quick truing question for you wheel-building gurus. The rear wheel of my road bike (a Roval CL40) has had a very slight wobble for a little while now; I don't recall any particular incident that might have caused it, I can't feel it as I'm riding along at all and it's not getting any noticeably worse, I just thought it might be a good idea to address it before it gets any worse.

So this afternoon I took the tyre off to take a closer look and it appears as though the rim deviates a tiny bit laterally (towards the drive-side) at opposite positions of the rim (let's say 12- and 6-o' clock) and a tiny bit vertically (i.e. out of "roundness") at 3- and 9-o' clock.

So logically it sounds like the whole rim has a tiny bit of a pringle-shape going on. As I mentioned above, these are only really minor deviations, so I'm hoping it can be trued out fairly easily, I'm just wondering whether this is a textbook problem and how I might best go about correcting it? Should I just go about correcting the vertical hop first and then the lateral wobble, or is there a better way of doing this? Is there an easier way to correct both issues at once, seeing as the four points that need truing all seem related to each other.

I've built and trued wheelsets before, so I have a good grasp of the basics, but those were just cheap wheels for my beater and winter bikes, I'm a bit more reticent about diving in on a expensive, low-spoke count wheel! Just for reference, it's a carbon rim, disc-hub with 24 spokes, 16 drive-side, 8 non-drive side.

Thanks!
Quote Reply