Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

POTUS adding more Justices to S.C. (Take 2)
Quote | Reply
Since my last attempt was hijacked by a couple of folks talking about the circuit and blah blah blah, Thought I would try again.

I think this came up here before, there is nothing that says there shall be 9 members of the supreme court. Is there any mechanism to stop a POTUS from nominating a bunch more? If your side controls things, you could get 20 more justices appointed?

Im guessing there is some mechanism and some smart Slowtwicher will have the answer, otherwise it could become a real $hit show fast.

From what I got out of my original thread, 9 was established in the late 1800's . It seems congress sets the limit, but not sure if its by vote or simple agreement.

Wondering can a POTUS just start nominating candidates and the Senate approve, and then we have more?

Someone else commented about the left losing there mind, not sure why. I just like to understand odd or weird processes and things people think are fact that are not and what the truth is.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: POTUS adding more Justices to S.C. (Take 2) [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The senate is the mechanism for this.

Elections have consequences.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
there is nothing that says there shall be 9 members of the supreme court.

Nothing other than the Judiciary Act of 1869. E..g "the law."
Quote Reply
Re: POTUS adding more Justices to S.C. (Take 2) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
there is nothing that says there shall be 9 members of the supreme court.

Nothing other than the Judiciary Act of 1869. E..g "the law."

Yeah, wasn't clear in my OP take 2.. I copied the OP then added comments gleaned from the other post.

But that was my original question, as in a previous thread here, someone mentioned in passing that the Const. does not establish the court to have 9.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
[ Const. does not establish the court to have 9.

But what *is* in the Constitution is that Congress is granted the power to make laws governing all things that either aren't enumerated powers granted to another branch or exceed the limits of the Bill of Rights.

And Congress made the law saying it's 9. So it's 9. I think it'd be unambiguously illegal for a President to try to unilaterally violate that law.

Edit: And in the case it was attempted, the lawsuit went the Supreme Court, I find it *very* unlikely that SCOTUS would strike down the Judicial Act of 1869. They're loathe to stomp on Congress unless absolutely necessary (see ObamaCare). And stomping on Congress' regulation of their own court would be a direct attempt to alter the separation of powers. I don't ever see the # of justices changing without Congress passing a law.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 13, 18 17:01
Quote Reply
Re: POTUS adding more Justices to S.C. (Take 2) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
[ Const. does not establish the court to have 9.

But what *is* in the Constitution is that Congress is granted the power to make laws governing all things that either aren't enumerated powers granted to another branch or exceed the limits of the Bill of Rights.

And Congress made the law saying it's 9. So it's 9. I think it'd be unambiguously illegal for a President to try to unilaterally violate that law.

Edit: And in the case it was attempted, the lawsuit went the Supreme Court, I find it *very* unlikely that SCOTUS would strike down the Judicial Act of 1869. They're loathe to stomp on Congress unless absolutely necessary (see ObamaCare). And stomping on Congress' regulation of their own court would be a direct attempt to alter the separation of powers. I don't ever see the # of justices changing without Congress passing a law.

Did you come here for an argument, you seem to be trying really hard to get one going, with someone who agrees with everything you have said, and again will.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

Did you come here for an argument, you seem to be trying really hard to get one going, with someone who agrees with everything you have said, and again will.

Not really an argument. In the OP you pose the question:" Is there any mechanism to stop a POTUS from nominating a bunch more?"

My answer is: Yes. Federal law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.” US Constitution, Article III, Section 1.

“He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.” US Constitution, Article II, Section 2, Clause 2.

That’s all there is except for Article I which refers to a Chief Justice who shall preside over impeachment trial of POTUS.

We have understood this to mean that Congress establishes the number of SCOTUS Justices beyond the Chief Justice. I suppose one could argue that number of SCOTUS Justices is wholly dependent upon the number appointed by POTUS and approved by the Sensate regardless of what legislation Congress enacts. But to change the number at this time would likely require an act of Congress or a SCOTUS decision finding the 1869 act unconstitutional.
Quote Reply