Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I went to set up facebook live it asked for credit card info- no idea where I was either- obviously a different link- the Red Bull link seems to work well though...

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Crazy that the only option is to stream on Facebook, For some reason when I stream on FB and try to mirror to apple tv it freezes up on me every time.

You would think amazon prime would stream it since they sponsor it.

. rant over

Hate facebook and never use it. Annoying that forced to use it to watch ironman.

But also surprising that only 50k people around the entire world are watching ironman at any given time. thought that would have been more globally...
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry should have added advertised in there.....me too lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I’m watching it now (Facebook watch app on iPhone—> chrome cast —-> tv ). Seems to be working fine

Same here. I know people like to complain about the coverage of this race, but I think back to years ago watching the feed on my laptop. I thought Macca was wearing a pink kit until I saw pictures after the race and realized it was actually red. Bad quality, buffering, etc. Then I upgraded to sending the feed from laptop to the TV, but had cables all over the place and spent 10-15 minutes getting everything set up and working. Today, I just opened FB, found the race and chrome casted it. Easy.

I've never heard of the FB watch app. I went through the FB app on my iphone. Is there a reason to have the FB watch app over the FB app?
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Hey WTC you can hire me to fix your mess. Jesus. First they had an invalid SSL cert (*Akamai CDN cert but cert SAN didn't have ironman.com) then after whitelisting ironman.com to ignore SSL error got some generic Apache Tomcat error and page wouldn't open.And now it finally opened but geolocation has me outside of USA. It won't let me stream. I'm in Seattle and all 4 major geolocation services are reporting my correct location. Who do they use?!

Disappointing but not surprising.

I live in Tampa and IM Live says we are in Europe and blocked. Directs me to FaceFuxk which says I have no I internet connection (currently running at 400 mbps). Go to NBC Sports and directed back FaceSuck. Patience out. More fun to read the bitching instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FB watch is part of the FB app on iOS, but it’s a separate app on XBox. Somewhat confusingly, I don’t think it has anything to do with Apple Watch. Go figure.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Crazy that the only option is to stream on Facebook, For some reason when I stream on FB and try to mirror to apple tv it freezes up on me every time.

. rant over

Dont watch then. Simple.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part 1 was working OK for me, but part 2 is a total fail. Red Bull stream is working great, though!
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep- Part II ........ total mess!
Good job IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
Hey WTC you can hire me to fix your mess. Jesus. First they had an invalid SSL cert (*Akamai CDN cert but cert SAN didn't have ironman.com) then after whitelisting ironman.com to ignore SSL error got some generic Apache Tomcat error and page wouldn't open.And now it finally opened but geolocation has me outside of USA. It won't let me stream. I'm in Seattle and all 4 major geolocation services are reporting my correct location. Who do they use?!

Disappointing but not surprising.

I live in Tampa and IM Live says we are in Europe and blocked. Directs me to FaceFuxk which says I have no I internet connection (currently running at 400 mbps). Go to NBC Sports and directed back FaceSuck. Patience out. More fun to read the bitching instead.

Watching from Europe and no problem, although red bull stream works better than fb stream.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
I’m watching it now (Facebook watch app on iPhone—> chrome cast —-> tv ). Seems to be working fine

Same here. I know people like to complain about the coverage of this race, but I think back to years ago watching the feed on my laptop. I thought Macca was wearing a pink kit until I saw pictures after the race and realized it was actually red. Bad quality, buffering, etc. Then I upgraded to sending the feed from laptop to the TV, but had cables all over the place and spent 10-15 minutes getting everything set up and working. Today, I just opened FB, found the race and chrome casted it. Easy.

I've never heard of the FB watch app. I went through the FB app on my iphone. Is there a reason to have the FB watch app over the FB app?

Well we know most people on here just like to complain. I found the Facebook feed fine. Anyone remember having to wait months to see the race?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on what I'd read of previous IM events streaming, I was expecting the worst.

I have to say the coverage was great for me - good resolution and no dropouts. Probably the best interaction I've had with Facebook for a good 5 years or so!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost posted this same post yesterday. The number of times the coverage froze was unbearable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon doesn’t own the rights, at least not this yr.
NBCsports.com also streamed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BungleJapan wrote:
Based on what I'd read of previous IM events streaming, I was expecting the worst.

I have to say the coverage was great for me - good resolution and no dropouts. Probably the best interaction I've had with Facebook for a good 5 years or so!

Same here. Excellent coverage. One 5 second buffer between Part 1 and Part 2. That was it. The other 9.5 hrs I had 1080i and surround sound 100% of the time. Zero buffering. Zero pixelation. Zero issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:

. rant over

You should try being a Boxing/MMA/Football (Soccer) fan.

There's pay per view Boxing Chanel in the UK you have to pay for on top of the Sky (PPV) package already, if that's not enough the really big fights GGG v Canelo the other week you have to pay for extra on top.

We're lucky really to be able to watch the big Tri main event with little more than a Facebook profile, personally I'd love every big sporting main event to be done this way, save me a fortune having to go the pub.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
https://www.redbull.com/za-en/Watch-the-IROMMAN-World-Championship-2018-Kona-Kailua-LIVE

Superb. Thanks for the link. There's no way on earth I was going to join Facebook just to watch the WCs.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had no problem with watching via facebook, and then air playing it to the TV via apple tv. the picture quality was good. I missed most of the bike, since I was out of the house, but the rest was fine. They need to get rid of Welchie... But otherwise the coverage was OK. I prefered the RedBull TV coverage last year, because I could play that directly off appleTV and not have to use my phone, but it wasn't the end of the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't have to use your phone this year, there is an app for apple tv called facebook watch, just download it and you can watch directly on the tv.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we're moving in the right direction...

2014 - Watched NBC broadcast in December. Excellent quality, no drops, good yet full of hyperbole commentary by non athletes and only 2 hour coverage of the pros and a few sob stories. Wasn't a serious athlete yet so no training to be had.

2015 - Watched live in person. Excellent HD quality. Had no clue how the pro race was advancing. Watched the swim start from what seemed like a mile away then headed over to Palani hill to watch athletes mash up it in the big ring and attempt to downshift. Later volunteered as Bike Catcher on the pier then over to the finish line for next 10 hours where I got to finally see how the pro race went and to cheer on the age groupers. Long day- felt like I ran the race and felt okay no to get in any training.

2016 - Watched feed from Ironman website. Could only watch on computer or laptop and feed was highly compressed, pixelated and remained frozen most of the time. The live updates in text form on the right kept it interesting about the pro race. but thew in the towel and went for a long run.

2017 - Downloaded Redbull app to LG 65" HDTV. Couldn't get app to launch for a couple hours. Finally launches and picture is pixelated with lots of buffering and frozen screen. App kept resetting as TV runs out of memory. Decide to go on long bike ride outside on beautiful fall day in Colorado.

2018 - Cast Ironman now Feed via Facebook Watch to LG 65" HDTV from LG Android phone. Perfect clear HD picture and I'm able to post comments about the action on Facebook app. As the bike got going had to drive across town to winterize my RV. Was able to listen to the action while driving with my phone still streaming the FB feed connected to the stereo via bluetooth. Once at RV connected phone to 40" Westinghouse HDTV via USB-C to HDMI connector with theater-like surround sound throughout. Then it was back home and up again on the 65" LG where I remained flopped out on the couch the rest of the day due to worsening cold symptoms I caught the day prior. Only gap in coverage I had the entire day was when they switched to Part 2 and I was indisposed under the RV for a couple minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
There's no way on earth I was going to join Facebook just to watch the WCs.

but you don't have to join to watch--just go to their page, no log in required. People keep saying this without even trying the link first to see they didn't have to join
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The screen froze a few times for us (we streamed from FB live and casted to the tv), didn’t think the quality was so great.

Watched it through the Red bull website last year on my phone and thought the quality was better.

Why don’t they just put it on live through the IM website instead and get one of the sponsors to pay for it with their logo on the screen?

Also we get that Red Bull sponsors a lot of the athletes inc Ryf .. I wanted to throw that stupid trucker hat away when the crown kept falling off her head during post race interviews.
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:

but you don't have to join to watch--just go to their page, no log in required. People keep saying this without even trying the link first to see they didn't have to join

I tried that a couple of times and it kept locking without a login. Maybe it was just me, or that the laptop thought I was my wife (who has an account)

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
iamuwere wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:

I tried that a couple of times and it kept locking without a login. Maybe it was just me, or that the laptop thought I was my wife (who has an account)

Mine kept gakking when using Firefox. Switched to Chrome and it worked like a charm (while not logged in to an account)
Quote Reply
Re: Forced to view WC on facebook [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:
iamuwere wrote:
GrimOopNorth wrote:

Mine kept gakking when using Firefox. Switched to Chrome and it worked like a charm (while not logged in to an account)

Funny that Facebook likes a Google product, given the latest news about google+

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply

Prev Next