Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Republican Candidate for Gov. in CA has an interesting take [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're going into conspiracy mode that asset seizure is the only tool to ameliorate income inequality. It's not. There are plenty of tools.

I never said asset seizure would be used for income inequality. Taxes are. (13.1% top end in CA). I said asset seizure would be used for Wealth seizure.

And that is the problem with Wealth Redistribution. There are many people in CA that are on paper worth over a $1 million, but make about $100K a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Candidate for Gov. in CA has an interesting take [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hold similar views. If you're an adult making minimum wage you've made some horrible choices. According to the Brookings Institution if you graduate high school, work full time and wait to have children until you're married you have a very, very low chance of not attaining a middle class life.

Unfortunately, many poor children come from families that do not give them the kind of support that middle-class children receive. As a result, these children enter kindergarten far behind their more peers and, on average, never catch up and even fall further behind. In addition to the education deficit, poor children are more likely to make bad decisions that lead them to drop out of school, become teen parents, join gangs and break the law.

It's a crappy cycle.
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Candidate for Gov. in CA has an interesting take [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
market solutions that could raise wages (lower taxes, deregulation, etc., leading to more jobs).

So how's that working out?

Corporate tax cuts, corporate profits at all time highs, wage growth is stagnant (except I am sure bonuses for top executives went up).
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Candidate for Gov. in CA has an interesting take [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
Say what?

“The economy has grown. And it has obviously helped people at the top. And everyone is working, the unemployment rate is pretty low. But people can’t make it here.”— John Cox, the Republican candidate for governor in California, discussing some of the challenges he expects to face if he is elected.

Here's some ideas to help out with inequality:

1.) Discourage single motherhood.
2.) Encourage marriage
3.) Raise property taxes.
4.) Outlaw lotteries.
5.) Reduce regulation/bureaucracy related to increasing housing stock.
6.) Provide some form of school choice.
Last edited by: SH: Oct 13, 18 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Candidate for Gov. in CA has an interesting take [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I've got a blended view on this.

Sure, I think people aren't paid a living wage, but the jobs they're doing have abundant demand at a low skill level. That abundant demand (due to low education standards), drives the wage down. Companies aren't charities. One company like McDonalds can't decide to charitably pay more when they have the same obligations to profit and shareholders as a high-skill and high-wage company like big-pharma is. Big pharma pays that due to the demand and supply at that skill level.

If you want to get at it truly, you need to prep people leaving HS for real life. People that are not going to college, likely never will, and will be a burden on society otherwise.

Unfortunately, Corporate profits are not as simple as sales vs lowest workers wage. It might be more telling to look at the top and CEO pay etc...

A counter example to your above story, Costco. Somehow they pay their employees and provide H.C. I believe and yet still turn a profit. I have no clue what there upper management pay is like compared to others, maybe they have found another place to cut costs.

McDonalds CEO made $15.4 million last year per this article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170413-story.html) How much could they have raised the wages of the workers in the stores if instead the CEO made only $10.4 million. (I know its further complicated by the fact they are not all owned by corporate). (oops that was 2016 --- $21.8 million in 2017 https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/...18-million-last-year

Also from the managers at the 2 McDonalds I have talked with, the move to kiosk's is requiring them to hire 1 to 2 more employees. So those who think they are doing that to cut low wage employees might want to look into it some more.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Oct 13, 18 17:44
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Candidate for Gov. in CA has an interesting take [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:
Because the only way to redistribute wealth is to seize assets.

Unionized work forces seem to work

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Candidate for Gov. in CA has an interesting take [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Since the majority of peoples wealth is in Homes and Stocks, how does a unionized work force redistribute wealth?
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Candidate for Gov. in CA has an interesting take [Cavechild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavechild wrote:

Since the majority of peoples wealth is in Homes and Stocks, how does a unionized work force redistribute wealth?

Unionized work force -> higher wages -> lower corporate profits -> lower stock prices. At least that's the standard thinking.

Higher wages for a unionized work force accrue to the lower and middle classes, lower stock prices impact the upper class and upper middle class.

If you want to call that wealth distribution it's your call!
Quote Reply
Re: Republican Candidate for Gov. in CA has an interesting take [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ceo pay has nothing to do with other employee salaries in big companies.

If he made 5 million less and ignoring the franchise and who works under who issues the employees would make $13.33 a year more. There are 375k McDonald’s employees.

Where the money is most likely going is the stacks of middle management in organizations.

You’re paying someone to manage 10 people. Then you a director to manage a couple managers, then a managing director to manage a couple directors. In some cases it may make sense but my guess is most times it doesn’t.
Quote Reply

Prev Next