Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ugh. My A-race just got cancelled with 4 days to go
Quote | Reply
US Open Tri. Rockwall, Tx.

http://www.usopen-triathlon.com/

Apparently over a financial dispute between the RD and the city.
Quote Reply
Re: Ugh. My A-race just got cancelled with 4 days to go [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That stinks - sorry to hear
Quote Reply
Re: Ugh. My A-race just got cancelled with 4 days to go [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, thanks. This taper week has been kicking ass...so, I was pretty stoked to push hard on Sunday and see what I could pull-off. I think I had an outside chance at a podium (M50-54), if things went well.

It was pretty much the last event of the year in the 4 state area. I don't really have the time to travel for an away race right now, anyway. But, the ONLY thing I found is in Galveston (7 hours from home) and its NEXT weekend.

This race was local for me...so, I could wake up in my own bed and drive 20 minutes to the transition area.

The bright side is that the weather looks like its going to suck on Sunday---cold(er), rainy, and windy. I guess I can sleep in, and have hot cocoa by the fire instead of putting on a wetsuit at 6am and swimming into 20mph northern winds.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 10, 18 15:14
Quote Reply
Re: Ugh. My A-race just got cancelled with 4 days to go [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is worse than getting sick before your A-race. At least when that happens you feel like crap and don't want to get out of bed. I would definitely recommend you use your fitness to do SOMETHING over the next week or so. Even if it is informal, like you go out and hammer a track distance or ride a 40K effort and put it on Strava. All that energy needs to go somewhere and you will gain some satisfaction from it. A couple of years ago my son had a horrible XC race at California Southern Section finals. I told him we should just keep training like he was going to state and then run a 5K on the track. We did and he had a great run (16:12 5K, 15:37 at the 3-mile mark) and finished the season on a more positive note. No one was there but him and I, but it launched his off-season training in a very positive way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dallas athletes racing has monster tri in Keller 21 oct and if you do well in age group you’ll also qualify for their “best of the best” early November in Denton. And oilman half is early November on lake Conroe. I haven’t lived in Texas in over 2 years and those races still exist with just a little bit of googles to confirm so us pro NOT end of the season for a four state region. I even found you something in the Dallas area
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah Pacific Sports haven't they cx'd races at the last minute before over funding or permits?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I got in a car accident on my way to the last race of my season. I sorted everything out and the next day I did a self supported race. The times meant nothing, but I figured I should flog myself for the heck of it - see if I could hold the numbers I was targeting for the race.

At the very least you should go chase some Strava segments with your fitness.

PS - hope you get a refund
Quote Reply
Re: Ugh. My A-race just got cancelled with 4 days to go [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This press release reads very oddly that’s for sure. I’d guess there is a bit more to the story.

Should have been paid back in June but cancels race week, hmmm

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Ugh. My A-race just got cancelled with 4 days to go [xterratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xterratri wrote:
Dallas athletes racing has monster tri in Keller 21 oct and if you do well in age group you’ll also qualify for their “best of the best” early November in Denton. And oilman half is early November on lake Conroe. I haven’t lived in Texas in over 2 years and those races still exist with just a little bit of googles to confirm so us pro NOT end of the season for a four state region. I even found you something in the Dallas area

Ok fair. I was specifically looking for oly distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For reasons that baffle me, that’s a consistently harder distance to find. Doesn’t help you out now but my favorite oly is lavaman waikoloa.
Quote Reply
Re: Ugh. My A-race just got cancelled with 4 days to go [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Ah Pacific Sports haven't they cx'd races at the last minute before over funding or permits?

So I've heard. I've been told they cx'd Brooklyn tri two years on a row and refunded no one at something like $400 a pop.

Hell of a business model if you can make it work.

I always wanted to figure out the no customers/no vendors business model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Galveston race is the Bayou City Tri series - Kemah race I can highly recommend it. Great organization that puts on a very good event - and for the Olympic distance you get on a boat and they go out to the middle of the bay and you jump off the boat for a straight shot swim back to shore. There will be fast athletes competing so you get a good race - only drawback is because of the boat start it is a time trial start so you can’t race against other people during the race, you just have to put your best effort out there and then see where you end up in the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
US Open Tri. Rockwall, Tx.

http://www.usopen-triathlon.com/

Apparently over a financial dispute between the RD and the city.

I’m a bit confused by their press release. The city pays THEM to run the race? Is that typical? I thought generally an RD had to pay a city for permits, police, etc.

Re: Ugh. My A-race just got cancelled with 4 days to go [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is the race. Good to know it's recommended. I watched some race video earlier. Looks like a blast!

I can't make it work this year. But, I think that will be my A race target for next year. Sounds cool. I've got an RV, so we can make a weekend of it... Just not in the cards in 2018.
Quote Reply