Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions for BarryP running experts
Quote | Reply
First of all thank you to Slowtwitch for introducing me to this program, I love it and love running as a result of it, and have already improved my fitness over the course of a slow (10% weekly mileage) ramp from 20 to 40 miles per week. I have some questions however:

1. I have been using heart rate to regulate my effort and have been using the formula of 180-age to estimate my "easy" heart rate, which puts me at 155 beats per minute (25 years old). This has worked fine for me, I have no problem with day to day recovery at this pace. But am I running too fast/hard? Especially as the temperatures drop and my body is no longer fighting the heat, I dont want to be pushing it.

2. Is there any difference between running 4/4/4/8/8/12 versus 5/5/5/5/8/12 all easy running, no tempo work. So same weekly mileage but split up differently... I ask because it may be easier for me to fit in 5 mile runs during the work week versus another 8 mile run.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for BarryP running experts [firsttimetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. you are running easy so you don't get injured, ie to much stress on your legs. if the pace you are running doesn't leave your legs smashed, and you're fine to run the next day with no effect from the run the day before you are good to go.

2. that is fine imo.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for BarryP running experts [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) I agree with Sean and I'd also add that I don't care about HR or pace and only run by perceived effort.
Easy is supposed to be very easy. For me, most of the times, it ends up being around 1-1:20 min per km slower than my HIM pace, but again, I don't really use that as a gauge.

2) The purpose of Barry's plan is to help you build your mileage through frequency, so yes, I'd say it's ok.
Quote Reply