Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first 7 miles are kinda in town before getting up onto the queen k. riding in the big group there likely has a lot of accelerations with people jockeying for position, trying not to get dropped. That will have all sorted itself out by the time they catch and then he can just slot in for the rest of the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My rebuttal was more the "conserve where you can". Is Gomez going to be "conserving" by sitting on Amberger who needs to push the bike pace. So sitting on that hot pace is going to be I'd wager harder on him than sitting in a 8-15 "draft" line up. If only Gomez was a worse runner, it'd be a no brainer to go with Amberger, but seeing as he's going to be one of the best, his "conservative" strategy becomes the smart/best strategy for Gomez.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not only Sebi. In the Interview at the Finishline of 70.3 Kraichgau, Frodo was very clear what he thinks of Lange (without saying his name).

Here is the Video

Around 0:35 Frodo says that is very funny how "some others" (so manch einer) can't even shake my hand anymore before the race.
Around 1:35 he directly calls him a "Sucker" (Luscher), then corrects to "Slippery Ground" (Rutschpartie).

Here is probably a good example of what they are talking about (between min 8:50 and 09:10)

Best regards
massi
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [massi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is so interesting.

There are photos from Kona last year of Frodeno full-body-enthusiastically cheering and willing Lange along on the run. Is it because he hates Lionel more than he hates Lange?

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Josh will be pushing, but steady. The group will be frenetic and volatile. Add the Starky factor, more athletes means more variables-riding with Josh may be 'easier.'

Edit: who am I kidding, this is fantasy. One of Gomez's advisors is Macca. Macca, if my mammary is correct, was the last heralded rookie who implemented an aggressive strategy on the bike course, with Hellriegel and Zach in 2002. 10k into the marathon, he was walking.
Last edited by: eganski: Oct 11, 18 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I dont think it's fantasy, I've just never heard of that front 15 "draft pack" as volatile and frantic so much that it's now suddenly an match burning concern vs going with a guy that's going "for broke" off the front.

Of course I'm on the record as saying the bike is Gomez's "weakness" that may likely get called out, and thus to me the "aggressive" strategy to sit in with 1 or maybe 2 other people who are trying to ride strong on the bike because they can't run as well....why.....especially if then they'll only be caught by the front pack anyways.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#BETHERULEBREAKER
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol'ed

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i worry that we're overstating the idea that gomez is 'weak' on the bike - i think it's all relative and historically he's been as strong as he's needed to be. on recent form, at 70.3 WCs, he rode in a lead pack of guns including ali and frodo. a few riders got spit out of that pack but javi didn't.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weak in the bike as in it's far greater risk to go off the front in a breakaway with 1-2 guys who need to push the bike than it is to "sit in" with a group of 15. ETA: And I'll say it, he doesn't have the legs at IM yet to bike off the front and run well. I'll put any wager you want that he cant do both of those things.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 11, 18 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
“ He claims he has been playing unfair games for years.“

Who’s is who in this sentence? Keinle claims Lange plays unfairly? Or, Lange claims Keinle plays unfairly?

And what type of unfair games are we talking about?

Scott

Kienle claims Lange always pushes the edge of the draft zone and does not hold correct distance when there are no referees.

If true I doubt that the minuscule advantage Lange got from pushing the edge of the draft zone explains how he ran down Keinle and every other person for the win.
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
#BETHERULEBREAKER

I also LOL'd
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for the translation!

If Josh does the same thing he did last year and leads the swim and Gomez gets on his feet and they leave the front pack behind, Lange will never see Gomez again.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Weak in the bike as in it's far greater risk to go off the front in a breakaway with 1-2 guys who need to push the bike than it is to "sit in" with a group of 15. ETA: And I'll say it, he doesn't have the legs at IM yet to bike off the front and run well. I'll put any wager you want that he cant do both of those things.

I'd bet this is a bet that will never be resolved!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok let's put parameters on it...

1- Gomez has to go with Amberger the entire time he is off the front

2- He has to run top 3 split

Iron Mike is the one saying his "weakness" is being over inflated by my assessment. I'm willing to say that he doesn't have that bike strength yet to go with the flyers....I assumed that's not really that outlandish of a comment considering Gomez hasn't once shown he can do work on his own/or in small group.....He's perfectly content to "sit in" with the group....I just contend sitting in on Amberger's wheel is going to be *slightly* harder to do than the front group of 15 who's going to be chasing Amberger.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I am not making a bet either way that he can or can't do it (I think he can but not confident enough to put money it). My bet is that we will never find out because he would never try. I'd love to see him try... I just don't see it happening.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not really convinced that Josh is going to go off the front this year. I was really sure he would have company when Frodo was still in the mix, but now just a tiny bit less sure. I do believe that some guys will swim with him, and the more that do, the more there will be. I know that sounds weird, but it is like this. If a couple guys get on, it strings out another 15 ft., and that enables one or two more to grab on, and then on and on. Of course the number of guys that can swim in the 47's or low 48's is not huge, but it is at least 5 to 7, so that could be a good size off the front group.

And we have to keep in mind Josh's awakening in the practice race, going out easy and building. I think he is confused now on what strategy to use, although snapping everyone off early with 500 pace is going to be appealing. But if he is serious about a good place at the end of the day, it would behove him to have a group of 4 to 6 guys to help with pace. If you get Starky, Currie, Gomez, and a couple other very good swimmer/bikers up there, You just might have the firepower and will to set a pace that isn't waiting for the main group, and of course later on the uberbiker group.

But that will be a game day decision for sure, you get out of the water, look around, see how your legs are, then you decide if Starky's pace is ok to sit back on, and occasionally give him a break..It is also the only way Starky gets a fastest bike time, and even then probably not, the chasing mentality is just too strong for a guy like Wurf..
Quote Reply
Re: The Germans have no love for Lange [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way is Amberger confused on his strategy. He knew that before last weekend’s swim results.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next