Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something else I remembered: Plastic baggies in the shoes (put your feet inside them). Easier to get them off by removing your feet from the shoes than when I needed to (single track).
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I’d worry about your nutrition plan if it involved a lot of liquid calories. You won’t be sweating and it will be easy to overdrink or not be able to get all your calories in.

^This!! You'll need to ease up on your fluid intake for sure. I typically make it to T2 before taking a leak, but when it's cold, my body tries to "unhydrate". At IMFL 2014 I stopped 4 times during the bike, and at the first stop just 10 miles in, it seemed like I could have read "War and Peace" while bringing a port-a-loo to nearly overflow levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help everyone! I thought I would give an update on what I did to keep warm after soliciting this advice...

Before the pro-panel on Friday I talked with Jonathan Shearon, who was speaking on the panel and asked him about the cold. First, he said he was gonna wear his arm warmers on the swim if it was gonna rain because they were gonna be wet regardless. He also said he was cutting up a space blanket to place under his kit, similar to the trash bag strategy. He also planned on taping hand warmers (hot hands) to his extensions so he was holding onto something warm, and putting the under his toe warmers. I liked these ideas and decided to try it out on the bike right after the warm up swim on Saturday.

I got a space blanket and put it under my kit before the practice swim and swam with my arm warmers. Saturday was 40 degrees and windy and it was the coldest bike-ride of my life getting out of the water and riding. I immediately went into panic mode realizing that if that is how race day was gonna feel I was gonna DNF the bike so I adjusted my plan...

Race day was 50 degrees, cloudy, and raining the first half of the bike. I did the following:
  • Wore arm and leg warmers on the swim with a space blanket cut up covering under the arm and leg warmers covering calves, thighs, forearms, and upper arms. I left the knees and elbows uncovered for mobility
  • I put more space blanked around my hips
  • I wore two trash bags over my torso, I felt like the trash bags would give me more coverage than a space blanket
  • I taped hot hands to my extensions
  • I wore toe warmers and put hot hands under the toe warmers, but outside the shoe
  • in T1 I put on gloves and a buff over my ears

Overall I was very cold, but not to the point where it effected my riding. My hands did not function well grabbing nutrition from my pockets, but it worked. Once the rain stopped, I was decently comfortable. If I were to change one thing, it would have been to go sock-less. My socks were just wet the whole ride and I feel like that made my feet colder. I wasn't the most aero with all my gear but I think if I didn't have it, I would have been in trouble...

No KQ for me... I had the fastest bike split in the M30-34 AG and ran a marathon PR sub 3:25 off the bike which exceeded my expectations for my run. I ended up in 4th, missing one of the 3 slots in my AG by about 2:30. Much of that 2:30 was probably lost in T2 where I took my time drying my feet and taking off my arm and leg warmers. I always pride myself on a fast transition, but I needed to take my time on Sunday given the weather. This was my second IM in a row one place away from Kona... always a bridesmaid haha. Regardless, I was happy to be on the podium and I will get a slot next time.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [pigpen73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pigpen73 wrote:
great screen name

Hahaha, Pigpen. Outstanding. I feel like the cross section of Type A anal triathletes and deadheads is pretty small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the cross section of a Type A Anal Triathlete and Phish Heads... I've met one other and he was a 70.3 one and done (he showed me his Huge 70.3 mDot tattoo while puffing on a joint).

Congrats on the race though. It was a tough day for a lot of my NorthEast friends including a DNF from hypothermia.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice for a cold(ish) ironman bike? [alexanderzlenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the dnf. Very thought day. Cold feet brought a lot of seasoned athletes down.
Was my third finish at Louisville. Headed out west now. ,,,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
pigpen73 wrote:
great screen name

Hahaha, Pigpen. Outstanding. I feel like the cross section of Type A anal triathletes and deadheads is pretty small.

There are a few of us on here.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply

Prev Next