Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Austin area- any places to ride hill repeats?
Quote | Reply
I may be in the Austin area for a few months for work, and wanted to know if you Austin locals can advise if there are any hills in the Austin area to ride hill repeats.

I currently live in the SF bay area (Danville), so I've been spoiled with Mt. Diablo in my backyard. Thanks in advance for any local intel.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin area- any places to ride hill repeats? [hamachijohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jester Blvd off 2222. .5 mile climb starting off at 5% and you'll hit 15-16% in the middle to the end.
Last edited by: atxtri1: Oct 10, 18 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved to Austin from Livermore back in February, so we rode similar terrain. Big difference here is shorter steeper grades in town. More akin to the steeper sections of Diablo or Morgan Territory from Livermore side.

My favorite route is Stratford-Redbud-Westlake-Terrace Mountain. This is in town and starts under MOPAC at the pedestrian bridge.

A bit further out is Courtside, which starts just past the rod iron bridge on 360.
Last edited by: Bat City UGA: Oct 10, 18 8:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long of a climb are you looking for?

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Austin area- any places to ride hill repeats? [atxtri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atxtri1 wrote:
Jester Blvd off 2222. .5 mile climb starting off at 5% and you'll hit 15-16% in the middle to the end.

This. There used to be a race called King of Jester. I never got to do it. I'm not local but visit often from S.A.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hamachijohn wrote:
I may be in the Austin area for a few months for work, and wanted to know if you Austin locals can advise if there are any hills in the Austin area to ride hill repeats.

I currently live in the SF bay area (Danville), so I've been spoiled with Mt. Diablo in my backyard. Thanks in advance for any local intel.

Hey John, I used to live in East Bay and wouldn't be surprised if we have ridden together. Nothing like Diablo around here unless you drive a few hours west. There are some good climbs though, good enough for Lawson Craddock and the local pros.

You want to go to the NW Hills - specifically Mesa Dr., Farwest Dr., and Ladera Norte. I live at the top of Ladera and these are the best climbs in the area, two of them even have bike lanes.

Mesa Dr Strava Segment

FarWest Strava Segment

Ladera Norte Strava Segment

Hit me up if you want to ride them.

Quote | Reply
Tour das Hugel is in a few weeks... look it up. That'll get you acquainted with every hill in the area real quick!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone,
Thanks for all your responses. My riding buddy (who climbs hills often) yesterday was jeering that he'd continue getting stronger on the hills while I ride the flats in Austin... Guess I can prove him wrong now. If my work does take me to Austin, look forward to meeting you all locals and transplants! Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin area- any places to ride hill repeats? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Any chance I get a detailed route description or Strava/Garmin route?
Looks like I will be there in January, with a possibility of being a permanent job.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin area- any places to ride hill repeats? [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever I can get. Longer the better, but will try anything. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The longest climb in ATX is from the bottom of Emma Long (right on the shore of the Colorado River) up to the intersection of Pearce and City Park Road. It's not a straight climb with a few false flats but it is very tough in sections and moderately tough in others. If I recall, it was a 10-15min climb depending on the power we rode it at. There are not many other climbs here that take more than a couple minutes. Out west, there is a few long grinding climbs (3-5% grade) that take well over 20min, if you want that kind of effort.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Austin area- any places to ride hill repeats? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the details. Looks like I'm gonna be doing a lot of hill repeats... a lot. Thank you.

CPT Chaos wrote:
The longest climb in ATX is from the bottom of Emma Long (right on the shore of the Colorado River) up to the intersection of Pearce and City Park Road. It's not a straight climb with a few false flats but it is very tough in sections and moderately tough in others. If I recall, it was a 10-15min climb depending on the power we rode it at. There are not many other climbs here that take more than a couple minutes. Out west, there is a few long grinding climbs (3-5% grade) that take well over 20min, if you want that kind of effort.
Quote Reply