Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
marcag wrote:
"Other athletes, pros and experts on the app include: Taylor Spivey, Nino Schurter, Vincent Luis, Dan Loran, Jonny Brownlee, Dr. Dan Plews, Katie Zaferes, Tim Don, Mario Mola, Emma Pallant-Browne, Tim O’Donnell, Laura Siddall, Ben Kanute, Rudy Von Berg, Paula Findlay, Joe Skipper, Ben Hoffman, Sam Appleton, Chelsea Sodaro, Craig Alexander, Mark Allen, Reece Barclay, Emma Frodeno, Tommy Zaferes, Eric Lagerstrom and Talbot Cox."

I wonder if they have it in the contract that they're not allowed to answer questions outside the app? I'm assuming no, which means they're getting paid per question rather than per month?

Like, this shows you how little money there is in triathlon.

Also, paying $15 a month to be told to eat almost no carbs and lots of fat, that cracks me up. I wonder why anybody is still treating Plews seriously.

I have no idea how the app works. Looking at the web site, it sounds (to me) like there are organized Q&A sessions where the athlete is invited and the public asks questions, rather than I wake one morning and ask Jan what he's having for breakfast today.

Maybe they pay the athletes for the Q&A session ?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Oct 27, 21 5:50
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Iden isn't on the list of people for the app. And Jan has replaced the link for his sgrail race with an any questions link. I think the slow response is for changeover is probably the people who do their own social stuff and actually don't know their way around their profile.

I think what's telling are Jan's German fans writing paragraphs in German telling him this is a horrible idea.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avoiding crashes, handling safely and descending fast are one of the skills you might need. Sounds like you never rode a bike for real, so you might want to start with clipping in and out of the bike tho...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
marcag wrote:

I have no idea how the app works. Looking at the web site, it sounds (to me) like there are organized Q&A sessions where the athlete is invited and the public asks questions, rather than I wake one morning and ask Jan what he's having for breakfast today.

Maybe they pay the athletes for the Q&A session ?

Interesting! I understood the app as you wake up one morning and ask Jan to stop everything he's doing to answer a banal question - as I presume most of the questions will be.

It 's also interesting to note that some of the athletes' Instagram profiles published on Greg Bennett's podcast site don't have links to this app on their Instagram accounts, so I presume they don't want to be associated with this business model anymore. For example Talbot, Gustav Iden, Jonny Brownlee, Paula Findley to name a few.

Moreover, the first month is now free and the app is only $7.49 per month - this shows me that the launch was a flop. I still wouldn't pay $7.49, not as long as we have Slowtwitch!

Well, in the meantime, I am really enjoying Lionel over on Discord, way more than I thought I would. He is having full on conversations. I can't believe that it is free.
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

"Other athletes, pros and experts on the app include: Taylor Spivey, Nino Schurter, Vincent Luis, Dan Loran, Jonny Brownlee, Dr. Dan Plews, Katie Zaferes, Tim Don, Mario Mola, Emma Pallant-Browne, Tim O’Donnell, Laura Siddall, Ben Kanute, Rudy Von Berg, Paula Findlay, Joe Skipper, Ben Hoffman, Sam Appleton, Chelsea Sodaro, Craig Alexander, Mark Allen, Reece Barclay, Emma Frodeno, Tommy Zaferes, Eric Lagerstrom and Talbot Cox."

Does anyone remember the "Which of these is not like the other," questions in grade school?

Example: Which of these is not like the others: Banana, Apple, Orange, football?
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
marcag wrote:

Does anyone remember the "Which of these is not like the other," questions in grade school?

Example: Which of these is not like the others: Banana, Apple, Orange, football?

Oh I was playing the who on this list took Bahrain Money game: Frodeno, Luis, Hoffman, Kanute, Appleton, Don. . .

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Oct 27, 21 8:40
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [LucasScridelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading comprehension bro?

LucasScridelli wrote:
Avoiding crashes, handling safely and descending fast are one of the skills you might need. Sounds like you never rode a bike for real, so you might want to start with clipping in and out of the bike tho...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Well Iden isn't on the list of people for the app. And Jan has replaced the link for his sgrail race with an any questions link. I think the slow response is for changeover is probably the people who do their own social stuff and actually don't know their way around their profile.

I think what's telling are Jan's German fans writing paragraphs in German telling him this is a horrible idea.

Hey The StroBro,

got my info from this link: https://www.bennettendurance.com/...-the-anyquestion-app

I particularly mentioned Iden, because he is on the list and mentioned asking questions for free on his Strava account. Jan still has a link for the sgrail albeit not in a thick font. Not sure about the profile bit - Paula Findlay and Eric Lagerstrom are pretty active on social media and they don't have the link up. I'm quite sure they know their way around their profile!

Yes, Germans are very good in being forward. I'm married to one!! One super fan just wanted to see him in his cafe, quite sweet really :-)

Ah, I didn't see that. Thanks for the link! I only saw what Marcag quoted and I thought Gustav's post on strava was "taking the piss" as if he wasn't going to be involved.

Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
marcag wrote:

I had exactly the same thing go through my head. Then I had the stupid song stuck in my head for an hour. Then I youtubed it, then I got stuck on Count Von Count and it went down hill from there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsRjQDrDnY8

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Hammernuts [ In reply to ]
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Hammernuts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammernuts wrote:
This video was made 3 years ago. Why are you saying that it was just made.

Anyway, some people would call an extremely successful person who is also an extraordinary endurance athlete an "inspiration."

But what do I know.
What you don't know is that this is a three year old thread that was resurrected yesterday..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replied to the following statement "Cycling = push on the pedals and steer Do you think "technical" means it has mechanical parts and numbers associated with it?" And I fully disagree, riding different terrains and with more people involve more skills than you think. But if you're e riding straight ahead on flat with no cars nor traffic, nor turns and only smooth tarmac or on zwift then is purely push the pedals....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, I see you are a new poster so it makes sense now - you were replying to a comment from a different poster that I had quoted. That is why the comment was in my post inside a box with another username at the top - I didnt write that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AHA! sorry, my bad as a newbie here....also my bad to comment on a 3 year old thread...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, welcome
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is bent out of joint that a former college runner, who did a 2;21 marathon while working in his post college career and kept up some semblance of fitness afterwards recently quit work and took up tris full time and vaulted to the mid 8 hour range, which is seeminly remarkable compared to the rest of us training or asses off for years and getting no where near those abilities. But very few of us were 2:21 marathon guys either, so while it's not impossible that the guy is doped (in that case he'd be like many 40 somethings in California), its also possible that he's a genetic mutant compared to most of us and if he took up tris in his 20's he'd be like Lionel Sanders (from what I gather he was a faster college runner than Sanders was)

Yup.

2:21 means you HAVE TO have some legit Endurance Capacity and have done a HUGE amount of work to get there. That's not something you do on a whim!

People would ask me regularly, why I was reasonably good at triathlon and achieved a moderate amount of success at it? A 31:00 10K, and 15:00 5K, before I ever got into triathlon was a HUGE reason. Before I did my first triathlon at 21 - I had been running at a high level for 6 years!! I was lucky that I seemed to be a bit of a natural on the bike - but I was always a lousy swimmer!! :-)

The funny thing I find about guys like Ed Baker, and Dev you can relate to this, is people like him made insane amounts of money, in Tech Start-Ups years ago - early-in with some key companies and then out, and now, barely even middle-aged, and they are already essentially retired from any kind of regular job, and doing whatever they want to do. More power to them, I guess! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve, why are you replying to Dev's post from 3 years ago, lol?

Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve, why are you replying to Dev's post from 3 years ago, lol?

That's a great question (AnyQuestion!!) and I am the dummy here! :-)

I did not check the dates, on the original post, and I just assumed since Ed's name had been in the news a good amount this week with the launch of the AnyQuestion App, I thought it was a recent thread!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ed Baker Produced a Video about Ed Baker [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ed stated he had no interest in going pro on Greg Bennett's podcast saying it's not something guys do in their 40's. Interested since he's gone 3:48 and 3:58 in his last couple 70.3's winning by 12 and 9 minutes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next