Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery Boot Questions & User Experiences
Quote | Reply
Looking at possibly gifting my wife some recovery boots this upcoming Christmas. She runs 2 marathons a year so gets in a lot of miles weekly as her training typically is 6 days of running a week.

What are everyones experiences that have them? Do they help or just a gimmick? Anything else you all can provide with advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Boot Questions & User Experiences [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of normatecs. They feel interesting, in that they squeeze your legs pretty tight. But did I notice any improvement in recovery or performance? Nope. Sold them.

Now I have a compex unit that I have started using in recovery mode, and I do think that has reduced the soreness I'd normally get in my legs.

Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Boot Questions & User Experiences [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. What copex unit do you have and how / what routine do you use with it? I will check it out online.

quote SBRcanuck]I had a pair of normatecs. They feel interesting, in that they squeeze your legs pretty tight. But did I notice any improvement in recovery or performance? Nope. Sold them.

Now I have a compex unit that I have started using in recovery mode, and I do think that has reduced the soreness I'd normally get in my legs.

.02[/quote]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have it next to me, but I think I have mostly used the training recovery and active recovery modes.

Compex seems to have good sales on almost all the time, and you can also often find them used here on the forum. Thats how I got mine, on the classified here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had 2 different sets of Normatec boots and also 3 different E-Stim units (both Compex and Globus). I recently picked up the second set of boots, as I wanted to see again if I noticed much after all the threads here stated how much users felt they helped. I did get a great deal on used and they came in pristine condition. I have to say that as much as I want them to help, I also do not notice much change. I think the main thing is that get you to sit still and relax while they are in use, so perhaps that helps more than the actual pulsing. As mentioned above, it does feel good and very strong compression as you use it, but I still am not convinced.
I also have used the e-stim units, though not as regularly as I should. I do feel that has a bit more effect, and IMO it also gives one a lot of options as far as other programs than simply recovery. As many have said, the downside is the pad placement and lead hookup, as well as having to move to stimulate different muscle groups. I do have the split leads, so I can do a number of groups at once which I feel is quite a bit better than only the standard leads. I also have heard to stay away from the wireless leads as they do not seem to work as well.
I'm not sure if this is of much help to you, but I wanted to share my experiences as I have had both types over the last 10+ years. I have not found either to be that silver bullet, and if I had to choose between one or the other, it would be tough. I also think that each individual may have a completely different experience, similar to training methods. What works for one may not be the same for another. I would agree that keep checking for good used units as there have been some great deals I've seen. With the newer Pulse unit, many pros have dumped their older units, many of which are fine. Same with Compex, Globus, etc. I do know Endurance House here in Madison, and a number of other stores offer units to use in their store, which may or may not be a good idea. If you go the route to try them, make sure you do that a few times, as the first experience always feels great, as is evidenced by the sales done at events. During the first use, many are so swayed to have them they walk away with them or order them with a code. Try to take some time and be objective. That said, if you find a great deal, you can usually get your $$ back.....

I hope I offered some help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be a placebo but my legs "feel" better the next morning after using mine. When I use them it is typically for 45mins or so in the evening while I read or watch tv.
Does using it help with athletic performance - don't know, but the medical science and use of these devices has been well documented, for medical reasons not athletics - and having varicose veins in one leg this is supposed to help with that.

I paid $50 for my unit because it is a used medical supply system rather than an upcharged sports model. So if you keep your eyes open you can find deals to try out and see if your wife gets any benefit from the boots. Then if you absolutely feel the need to lighten your wallet check out the Normatec and AirRelax systems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have :

1. Air Relax
2. Normatec
3. Game Ready 2.1 with many attachments

Air Relax and Normatec I pretty much put equal.. maybe slight edge to Normatec for being more portable, but essentially my legs feel pretty much the same after use. I use the Normatec more often now. (they do both help feel less sore)

Game Ready is my go to system when I run or do I tri. The other 2 are pretty much cycling only (I'm mainly a cyclist) I like being able to use the ice since I have a bum left knee that gets sore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a review my 27 year old son wrote.

The Air Relax Recovery boots are the cheaper competitor to the Normetec recovery boots – about $400. I’m going to blast out a few thoughts I have about this.

https://air-relax.com/

The thing has four pressure settings, but you have to set it to the third for it to start feeling like it is doing something. The squeeze from the boots caused a little flare up in my foot with my morton’s neuroma. The easy fix here was using some PVC pipe to protect my left foot from the squeeze.

The Air Relax Recovery Boots feel good. It is a neat habit to be able to go on a hard workout, raise your legs on a reclining chair, and let a machine massage your muscles by squeezing them into recovery. Assuming all things are equal, if I had to choose between using a foam roller or using these recovery boots, sitting down is a lot more fun after a workout than rolling out your legs on the floor. However, after I get my legs squeezed, they don’t feel any worse or better than before I start the session. I would compare these recovery boots to getting a back massage from those electric massage chairs instead of seeing an actual sport massage therapist. It is a possibility that my body is so young that I naturally recover better than older athletes, so I am not seeing any benefits.

I think triathletes are so type-A personality that there has to be a tool or device for everything. I think it is hard for competitive people to realize that the cheaper/easier option is the same (doing nothing) than the more expensive option (air relax or normetec recovery boots). This has got me thinking about what is recovery? What is physiologically happening when I am resting my body that allows me to run faster the next day compared to running again after a workout? I don’t think that squeezing blood ut of my legs is the answer.

Fun experiment. I’m glad I bought them to settle my curiosity. Sold them.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll use the air relax after an evening bike whilst eating dinner, certainly makes the legs feel better & seems to help with running the following morning.

It's similar to putting on some compression, just a bit more active.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use NormaTec boots because I enjoy how they feel, and I find they help me relax so much so that I often fall asleep when wearing them. That leads to time off my feet, as well as naps, that I wouldn't otherwise take, both of which help my recovery. If I were motivated enough to get off my feet and try to nap without the boots I think the effect would be the same, but somehow I'm more motivated to take some down time to relax when I do so with the boots on.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Boot Questions & User Experiences [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
I had a pair of normatecs. They feel interesting, in that they squeeze your legs pretty tight. But did I notice any improvement in recovery or performance? Nope. Sold them.

Funny... I feel exactly opposite of this. I've had a Compex for several years. I used it in recovery mode after hard workouts and thought it might have some effect, but it very well could have been placebo. About 6 months ago I bought a set of Normatec boots, and I haven't used the Compex since then. I used to have a problem with 'restless legs' at night on hard workout days, where I'd have a hard time falling asleep because my legs would just be achy enough to be annoying. On days where I've done a hard workout I'll do a 30-40 min Normatec session right before bedtime, and I can sleep very comfortably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy your wife several massage therapy sessions with a good therapist. She will probably appreciate it more :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't like the sensation they leave my legs in and I certainly feel no better the next day.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery Boot Questions & User Experiences [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all very disappointing for someone who got zero benefit from compex and just bought a set of normatec pulses to see if they'd help!
Quote Reply