Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [erik2021] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am considering the Roval 321 disc wheel; would a switch from the stock CLX wheel to the 321 per default require adjustment to the rear derailleur? I am asking to understand how easy it would be to switch back and forth between the wheels post purchase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
erik2021 wrote:
I am considering the Roval 321 disc wheel; would a switch from the stock CLX wheel to the 321 per default require adjustment to the rear derailleur? I am asking to understand how easy it would be to switch back and forth between the wheels post purchase.

No Issues assuming you are swapping the entire cassette/freehub (the easiest way). You would only need a derailleur adjustment if you change gearing or drivetrains

Where adjustment becomes more "tricky" is if you are sharing wheels with another bike, because your disc brake rotor-to caliper position becomes a point to pay attention to and different bikes are going to have different pad wear (or maybe even rotor size)
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For avoidance of doubt, do you mean I use 1x hub/cassette for both wheels, or that each wheel keeps its hub/cassette coming on and off the bike? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have race wheel recommendations for the Shiv Disc? I have been running 60/88's and they have been great but looking to buy a race set. I know generic recommendations based on other bikes but curious if there are specific wheels that are advantageous because of the unique design elements

For instance, is it better to go wider or thinner for the front wheel with the wide gap of the fork blades? Is a tri spoke more advantageous in this design? For the rear, does the sail add any advantage to using a disc wheel vs a deep dish wheel? Is there any other advantages that I haven't considered?

Thanks.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Last edited by: theyellowcarguy: Apr 4, 23 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feels like passing your competition as they slow down to grab/drop bottles from aid stations.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what's the latest now with this bike model ? Is it being deleted, being replaced or merely continuing as it was ?
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: Jun 28, 23 6:11
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized has largely exited the triathlon market and they no longer manufacture the Shiv. If you want one, try Facebook, eBay or ST classifieds.

They have quirks but once you figure ‘em out it’s easy.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Sparkystiltskin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sparkystiltskin wrote:
They have quirks but once you figure ‘em out it’s easy.

What quirks have you found?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doing my best to dig up the past....

road cyclist here getting back into tri's for the first time in over a decade. could use some insight from folks that have fooled around or owned one of these things.

shiv finder has me almost directly in between sizes - as in, just a 0.25in difference in shin measurement moves me from XS frame to a SM frame.

1) 5'7" and the last tri fit i did (quite a few years ago) had my x,y at 452,505. seems from previous posts that since these figures are within the range of both sizes, that i should pick based on saddle height. is that accurate?
2) saddle height is ~685mm. from a quick eyeball test, that ain't gonna be enough for the hydration fin to work on the SM frame. would this justify sizing down to the XS frame? just looks like a very small bike so having a hard time with that.
3) if i stuck with the SM size, am i able to simply lop off the top of the reservoir so that it will fit underneath the saddle and still be used? i know i'll lose capacity and am ok with it. would i be able to purchase an XS bladder for the newly cut reservoir? or do the dimension of the top change?
4) was planning to run Zipp 303 and 404 FC wheels (the new ones) with 28s. these are pirelli's labeled as 28s for whatever it's worth. will those fit? think erik2021's question is similar to mine because the plan is simply to swap wheels used for road cycling and other bikes onto this one.

thanks in advance for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [rossdude5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rossdude5 wrote:

road cyclist here getting back into tri's for the first time in over a decade. could use some insight from folks that have fooled around or owned one of these things.

shiv finder has me almost directly in between sizes - as in, just a 0.25in difference in shin measurement moves me from XS frame to a SM frame.

1) 5'7" and the last tri fit i did (quite a few years ago) had my x,y at 452,505. seems from previous posts that since these figures are within the range of both sizes, that i should pick based on saddle height. is that accurate?
2) saddle height is ~685mm. from a quick eyeball test, that ain't gonna be enough for the hydration fin to work on the SM frame. would this justify sizing down to the XS frame? just looks like a very small bike so having a hard time with that.
3) if i stuck with the SM size, am i able to simply lop off the top of the reservoir so that it will fit underneath the saddle and still be used? i know i'll lose capacity and am ok with it. would i be able to purchase an XS bladder for the newly cut reservoir? or do the dimension of the top change?
4) was planning to run Zipp 303 and 404 FC wheels (the new ones) with 28s. these are pirelli's labeled as 28s for whatever it's worth. will those fit? think erik2021's question is similar to mine because the plan is simply to swap wheels used for road cycling and other bikes onto this one.

Recommendations from posts in here in the past have always been to size up. You get a bigger reservoir and you'll have more clearance for your knees (they can sometimes hit the bars) and reach on the front end.

Yes you can cut the reservoir, you just use the same bladder it'll work and you won't lose much or any capacity. You can also run the forward offset seatpost for a little more clearance too if you are able with your fit.

I'd be surprised if 28s won't fit. I have plenty of clearance with my 25s but you won't know until you try. I've heard some people have fit them okay at a standstill but during movement/weight/flexing it can rub the reservoir some.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rossdude5 wrote:

i wanted to run 28mm G5000TR on swiss side wheels on my medium shiv. the frame clearance is fine but the reservoir doesn't quite follow the same curve - it tightens up on the wheel higher up so it rubs on any slight bump. really annoying
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the input. guess i'll give the SM a go.

if i run the same bladder but the foil it sits inside of is missing an inch or so from the top, does it create folds/kinks that make it hard to use while riding? assumed if i cut it, i'd have to use the next size smaller bladder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rossdude5 wrote:
thanks for the input. guess i'll give the SM a go.

if i run the same bladder but the foil it sits inside of is missing an inch or so from the top, does it create folds/kinks that make it hard to use while riding? assumed if i cut it, i'd have to use the next size smaller bladder.

Afaik the bladder's aren't exchangeable so you don't have the option to downsize. I can't speak from experience but others have said they've cut the reservoir and not had an issue with the bladder usage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a FYI there is also a shiv disc owners group on facebook. There is some good content there you can search or double post your questions there for some second opinions. It's a little more active than this thread sometimes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there any cons if I will race in Ironman WC in Nice without the fin ? I want to enlight my Shiv and I will not use the bladder for hydration
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
Is there any cons if I will race in Ironman WC in Nice without the fin ? I want to enlight my Shiv and I will not use the bladder for hydration

In theory an aero deficit, however I’ve ridden without it multiple times and never noticed a difference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:

In theory an aero deficit, however I’ve ridden without it multiple times and never noticed a difference.

Do you find a little less stability downhill with the wind? Like large blades fork could keep much wind respect the rear? The fin give the bike much stability with the wind?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
theyellowcarguy wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:

Do you find a little less stability downhill with the wind? Like large blades fork could keep much wind respect the rear? The fin give the bike much stability with the wind?

Not sure, I’ve only ridden on flat without it. I noticed no crosswind difference, it still handled fine for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Shiv gets new paintworks: https://www.specialized.com/...?color=430654-274934

Specialized doing the bare minimum to keep it away from retirement.
Last edited by: erik2021: Apr 21, 24 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting - the USA site doesn’t even have the Shiv Tri available - interesting that it seems to be somewhat alive.

Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
theyellowcarguy wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:

Bear in mind by not using the hydration storage, you'll then see the centre of pressure acting on the bike move a long way forward which would make the bike less stable in crosswind and alter its handling at speed.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:
theyellowcarguy wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:

Bear in mind by not using the hydration storage, you'll then see the centre of pressure acting on the bike move a long way forward which would make the bike less stable in crosswind and alter its handling at speed.

infact in the descent to Nice my Shiv without the hydration storage was so instable .. It’s not a bike for Ironman Nice
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Interesting - the USA site doesn’t even have the Shiv Tri available - interesting that it seems to be somewhat alive.

They sold tens of tens of them so makes sense to keep it alive after five years.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recently joined the above mentioned Shiv group on Facebook and saw a third colour scheme posted by a French speaking member, as well as evidence of stock in Japan.
Quote Reply

Prev Next