Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Possible to go from Mop to fop [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During a two year span in my peak fitness day (2011,2012), I ran a stand-alone Sub 1:29 half marathon in the Spring, and Sub 3:28 full marathon in the Fall. And in the same 2 years I was running those times, I blew up during both Summer marathons at IMLP and IMLOU. I attribute it to lack of lack of Critical Bike volume and Nutrition.

Your Bike volume should be 5X times your Run volume!! Here's a good article: http://kropelnicki.com/mastering-the-im-run/

Also, gastro issues on the Run may be from too much protein and fat in your Race Day nutrition. Pro Cody Beals told us in a recent thread, he's 100% carbohydrates for his Ironman nutrition. I usually have a Bonk Bar, Cliff bar or something similar on my Bike which contain protein and fats, albeit small amounts. But I found those amounts are enough to shut down my gastro-system. I recently went all liquid/ all carb for nutrition at AC 70.3, and I tied my 2nd fastest 70.3 time (out of 15 total 70.3's).

The key is to have enough Swim volume that you finish an Ironman Swim feeling relatively fresh. And likewise for the Bike. It's all about hitting Critical Volume in all three disciplines proportionally; and mastering a nutrition plan in training that you can translate verbatim to Race Day.

And as many posters have said, your coach should be able to identify improved strategies for you!!
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Oct 7, 18 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: Possible to go from Mop to fop [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:

I wasn't spectacular, but was good enough. Syracuse 70.3 in 2014 (33:44/2:28:38/1:38:50/4:45:25) was my final race before doing my big run block. I wasn't walking my runs before my run block (thought I did walk up the huge hill on my second lap in Syracuse), but I just wasn't very fast. Challenge Quassy in 2015 (31:14/2:42:51/1:24:23/4:41:22) was my first race after my run block.

I certainly agree that people need to be willing to make the changes and sacrifices to achieve their full potential, and it can be hard to make those sacrifices when the results aren't guaranteed. But I feel like I was in a similar situation to the OP, and the run block approach worked for me (I'm actually planning on doing another run block November - January to see if I can bump my triathlon speed up again).

9 OA with 3/40 AG at Quassy HIM in 2015 is FOP. (Age 25-29)
111 OA with 18/193 AG at Syracuse 70.3 in 2014 is close to FOP (Age 25-29)

2 comments:
-you picked your parents wisely

-you haven't finished improving (get a coach)

Dale
Quote Reply
Re: Possible to go from Mop to fop [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Daniel Clarke wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:
So just did my 3rd ironman and the run was once again my nemesis.

I had the legs but some really bad gastro distress kept me Doing the IM shuffle.

My coaches plan was on point this year, felt strong and well prepared

The thing is that I am just not getting any faster.

Is it a genetic thing or does everyone have the potential?

I was a MOP athletes who was able to jump to the FOP. Sure genetics play a role, but when I was a BOP/MOP athlete I was regularly told I just didn’t have the proper genetics to be faster (I’m definitely not as slight as most FOP athletes). I had the same issue as you, my swim and bike were okay, but my run just wasn’t good enough to be FOP. I decided to take 8 months off triathlon and train purely as a runner with a group of runners. This was the best decision I made. Focusing on one sport I was able to make massive improvements in my run.

I’ve made this recommendation to a number of friends lacking the speed to KQ but they’re all afraid their swim and bike is going to disappear and have never followed through on it. I found my swim and bike came back relatively quickly, and I now had a run that could keep me at the FOP.

This ^^^^^ This is what I need to do, Thanks for all the responses

Read the thread from Desert Dude regarding his Full Ass Run Challenge

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/So_you_want_a_challenge_-_Half_assed_or_Full_on_Ass_You_choose.___Alternate_title:_Do_it_right_or_wasting_your_time._P1051716/

I did exactly what he said here - did a big run block of 5 months where I was running consistently 50+ mpw by the end, with ~60 being the max week.
The end result was that my run, which was decent prior, became a weapon.
I increased my V.Dot by 2 full points. Permanently.

I still couldn't swim fast (and still can't), but spent the rest of every race from T1 chasing down people on the bike & run, often into AG podium territory, and occasionally some top 5-6 OA finishes at smaller Halfs.

Now - it may or may not address the gut issues on the run (that's likely more nutrition &/or perhaps over-biking causing gastric distress), but you'll have a much higher ceiling on your run speed, so even at a reduced % of that speed, you'll be a LOT faster than you are now.

Put bike & swim into maintenance mode (if that, I generally do zero swimming all winter).
A short trainer ride or 2 a week is enough to hold onto the majority of your bike fitness, which will come back very quickly in the Spring once you ramp it back up again.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Oct 7, 18 11:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next