Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thomas De Gendt: Tour of Lombardy then 1000K ride home to Belgium
Quote | Reply
This is kind of cool in the biking as a "lifestyle category".

For those of us who have done a substantial amount of bike touring or biked to/from camps or back home from races, it is cool to see that Thomas DeGendt is going to race the Tour of Lombardy next Saturday and then ride back to Belgium from Northern Italy. I liked his bike setup:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...lombardy-to-belgium/

very light weight and steamlined for a 6 day self supported trip. What type of an underseat bag is this:

So basically for this trip, I am guessing he wears his bike clothing daily and hand washes it in the shower at the hotel at nite and squeezes it as dry as possible inside his towel after showering. So it fit it all in:

Biking gear:

1. Leg and arm warmers
  2. thin rain jacket and vest that can take almost no space
  3. Rest of bike gear is on the body

Clothing
  1. Lightweight warm top for evenings/social
  2. Lightweight long pants that take up no room
  3. a few sets of underwear, also hand wash
  4. T shirt (maybe 2)
  5. Flipflops or thin running shoes that take no space
  6. Socks

Life support items

1. wallet
  2. phone and chargers
  3. razor, tooth brush, tooth paste
  4. passport (need to get thru Switzerland?)

This seems like a great set up to ride to a training camp, do the camp and ride home and all self supported. I am a fan of streamlined logistics and doing things minimalist with "less stuff". Looks like Thomas has it nailed down. Very impressive.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 6, 18 18:39
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas De Gendt: Tour of Lombardy then 1000K ride home to Belgium [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Classic de Gendt. Arrange a six day breakaway on his own where he is constantly attacking himself. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Thomas De Gendt: Tour of Lombardy then 1000K ride home to Belgium [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Classic de Gendt. Arrange a six day breakaway on his own where he is constantly attacking himself. ;)

...and no team cars for Nibali style sticky bottles either!!!!

Seriously though, after a long season you'd think these guys had enough, but no deGendt needs to do a final 1000 km breakaway! I love that analogy. I roughly rode the same route on a bike tour in 1985 from Nice to Genoa, to Milan, over the Alps through Switzerland and made my way up to Amsterdam for 4 days of crazy partying in a part of Amsterdam that I would not recommend for my 22 year old son to go party at LOL.
Quote Reply