Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

any hematologists out there?
Quote | Reply
I've never seen a hematologist, have an appointment coming up and welcome any perspective or tips on issues to raise, questions to ask, etc.

I had an annual physical a few weeks ago. The blood work came back with a few abnormal values. They took blood again and got same results. Referred me to a hematologist. I'm 49, male.

Abnormal area values:
white blood cell 3.7 (ref range 3.8-10.5 thousand/uL)
red blood cell 3.92 (4.2-5.8 (million/uL)
MCH 34.2 (27.0-33.0 pg)

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: any hematologists out there? [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a clinical laboratory scientist for 25 years and the numbers are insignificant on face value.

A low WBC count means you don't have an infection and can be normal. A differential of the cells might mean something is amiss, but a low WBC on its own is not something to be worried about.

RBC is low normal and not an issue, eat more red meat. If you want to take iron pills watch out for green poop and constipation.

MCH (Mean corpuscular hemoglobin) is a calculation of Hemoglobin/RBC and because your RBC is low, your MCH is high.

What are the other indices? MCV? MCHC? Total hemoglobin and hematocrit. Actually, I can reverse the equation and get your hemoglobin so I don't need that.

I'd need to see a slide to say if it is clinical or not. Iron studies, b12/fol would be helpful too.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: any hematologists out there? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Adding more data:

MCV 99 (80-100)

MCHC 34.5 32-36)

hematocrit 38.8 (38.5-50)

platelet 170 (140-400)

mpv 10.3 (7.5-12.5)

hemoglobin 13.4 (13.2-17.1)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cancel your appointment with the hematologist and get a new primary doctor.

Ok, don't really do that because I don't know you. But when you go to the hematologist and he tells you you're fine don't go back to your primary doc because he/she is a moron.
Quote Reply
Re: any hematologists out there? [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I'm with you, I feel the physical was a joke and I am planning to find another GP/primary.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spinmeister wrote:
Yeah. I'm with you, I feel the physical was a joke and I am planning to find another GP/primary.

I would have signed that off as normal with barely a glance.

I'm assuming this was a routine screening and you are feeling completely well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Spinmeister wrote:

I would have signed that off as normal with barely a glance.

I'm assuming this was a routine screening and you are feeling completely well.

I would have resulted them as normal without any scrutiny. I wouldn't have even looked at the slide, just let them go.

All the other numbers are perfect. I wouldn't see a hematologist either.

I'M NOT A DOCTOR, BUT I DO SEE THESE NUMBERS A MILLION TIMES A DAY.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I am puzzled as to why the OP is seeing a hematologist.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Oct 6, 18 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
49 may be time for your roto rotor, any chance bleeding?
Quote Reply
Re: any hematologists out there? [chill-out] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, no bleeding that I can discern. No stool sample taken as part of the annual.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Cancel your appointment with the hematologist and get a new primary doctor.

Ok, don't really do that because I don't know you. But when you go to the hematologist and he tells you you're fine don't go back to your primary doc because he/she is a moron.

Not a Dr or anything, but personally, would rather go and get a few more blood draws and find everything is ok, or you got it early, than wait and find out its been bad for a few years.

Whats your history, are you normally in that range, or has it been more normal and made a move this year or slow move over the past few. To me the reason to get it done each year is to establish a baseline. So looking at your numbers without the history is a tough call.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump.

Did you see the Doc?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did see the hematologist.
Another test found wbc was back up.
Conclusion: benign cyclical neutropenia. Harmless fluctuating wbc. 99% of folks stay within the norm ranges. I guess I'm finally a 1 percenter
Other values being tested as well as precaution, no thing expected to be found but hema will contact me if he sees anything of note.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you’re ok. Benign cyclical neutropenia? Now I’m even more confused. Did you have a differential done? Should be benign leukopenia.

I guess I’m just being picky.

Either way I’m glad to hear it’s nothing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could be right, he and I spoke by phone as i was driving home, he got the wbc results quickly, he may have said leuko and I misheard as neutro.
Yes, glad all seems well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now find a new PCP, cuz the one you just saw doesn’t know how to think.
Quote Reply