Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Tri Bike - New(ish) Felt B14 vs Used Felt DA4
Quote | Reply
Been using my road bike for tris, but it's time now for a dedicated tri bike. Target is to be at $2K or less purchase price (not including pedals, power meter, race wheels, etc). Based on that price range, and my fit size needs, I found myself converging on the Felt B14, which has a list price right at $2K. Certainly not a "sexy" tri bike choice, but seems to be a good solution for me, as it handles well, is OK from a speed perspective, includes Ultegra, and is relatively adjustable and easy to maintain. (If any of you disagree strongly with the above assessment, please chime in. Would love to hear your input!)

So my plan was to monitor the local and on-line sources, to hopefully find a dealer closeout (shave a couple hundred off the price) or a late model, low mileage used one (if I could shave off even a couple more hundred). However, I recently came across a used 2014 Felt DA4 that is being offered at a price that seems like a really good deal. Of course, would need to validate the bike's condition and list of installed components which I would definitely do. For now, though, let's assume the bike is really in very good condition, with no crashes/major repairs.

If I understand correctly, once you get past the cockpit and fork, the B14 and DA4 are the same frame. DA4 has the integrated front end, whereas the B14 has a "traditional" front end. One person's input to me was that "... basically, the DA4 is a 'superbike' (integrated) version of the B14 ...". Also, it looks like there are some differences in the stock components between that DA4 and the B14, but (at least to my novice assessment), they don't seem all that significant. So, it seems to me, the DA4 is at least every bit as good a tri bike solution for me as the B14 (and my fitter confirmed that both are fine from fit perspective).

Given that -- and assuming the 2014 DA4 is still in very good condition -- since the 2014 DA4 is priced somewhat lower than I would expect to pay for the B14 (even assuming closeout or used), I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason not to buy the DA4. I guess the only thing I can come up with is if being a model that is 4 years old is that significant a reduction in the useful life of the bike. Is a 4 year old tri bike really that old in "bike years"? Are there other factors that I'm not considering that would tilt the scale back toward purchase of the new B14 (or a used one that is only a year or two old)?

How's my logic above? Just trying to make sure I'm not failing to take into consideration some import aspect. Any feedback or experiences with similar decision processes is much appreciated.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike - New(ish) Felt B14 vs Used Felt DA4 [Mongo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last yr I had a NP3. For fit reasons I went back to a DA new / old stock. So my opinion is no.
Old P3 and P4 still considered fast bikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As per Kileyjays super bike test either bike with a good front end and nice wheels will be fast, if your position is the same. I like the geometry of both bikes. I think the DA looks nicer but the condition and quality of the spec is probably a bigger deal breaker.
I'm biased as the DA geometry suits me well. Although I ride a P4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm perhaps biased as I have a 2012 DA1 and I have no plans on changing it any time soon but I would definitely go for the DA4 over the B14. It's a solid bike and very fast. With the bayonet fork, it's a bit twitchy at low speed but solid once you're moving. And I think a much better looking bike than the B14, even if they share everything behind the fork. The one thing I'll say is the rear brake breaks my heart ever time I need to adjust it. I now train and race on HED Jet 9 plus so I don't need to adjust it much. I think the B14 has a more standard brake like I have on the Felt AR, so if you train on different wheels than you race on, keep that in mind as the B14 would be easier to adjust. That being said, I'd still take a DA any day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had both a B series and currently have a DA. Been toying with the idea of getting a new bike but after Kileys test and talking with him and many others there’s no point. My only gripe with the DA is I still need to get a bit longer and I am maxed out on reach with the bayonet stem. So for me having a B series might be better since I’d be able to get a longer stem if needed. But I’m working out other ways to get that extra reach. But if you fit on either I’d go with the DA for sure.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I think you might be able to do better on the price. I just sold a B12 in pretty much perfect condition with dura ace for 1200. Second, how familiar are you with your fit? The B series is probably going to be easier to adjust since it's less integrated (maybe not, but I am under the impression the DA required a specific stem). I know I needed to increase from a 90 to a 120 mm stem and it was nice to pick up something cheap that fit perfectly.

If your fit is dialed in and you aren't going to be adjusting, I'd look to the DA.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike - New(ish) Felt B14 vs Used Felt DA4 [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
First, I think you might be able to do better on the price. I just sold a B12 in pretty much perfect condition with dura ace for 1200. Second, how familiar are you with your fit? The B series is probably going to be easier to adjust since it's less integrated (maybe not, but I am under the impression the DA required a specific stem). I know I needed to increase from a 90 to a 120 mm stem and it was nice to pick up something cheap that fit perfectly.

If your fit is dialed in and you aren't going to be adjusting, I'd look to the DA.

The DA is pretty adjustable if you want one of Felts fixed flat stems or I think they list them a zero degree rise then you only have a couple options but they also come with a ton of adjustable stems in different lengths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 DA4. It's a difficult bike to work on.

I feel that it's the fastest bike per watt for me as well, better than my newer P2.

I'm probably going to pull it off the shelf and start riding it again.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike - New(ish) Felt B14 vs Used Felt DA4 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you find makes it difficult to work on? You also commented that an IA16 is much more difficult to work on than a P3. Is it only the rear brake? I have an IA, and I find it no different to work on than any other bike I have ever maintained.
Quote Reply
Re: First Tri Bike - New(ish) Felt B14 vs Used Felt DA4 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The integrated rear brake on the DA doesn't work well with the stock brake lever. I had to go to the DuraAce lever to have effective braking. The levers on the IA seem to work better. It's probably a better brake design. I don't own an IA so I don't have extensive experience with one.

As I remember, the front end on the IA is easier to work on than the DA. The IA I worked on had nearly the same type of stem as a normal steering tube uses. It was just shaped differently. The DA has a special integrated block that bolts on top of the fork and clamps to the top of the steerer tube. They make a fixed stem and an adjustable stem, both work well but it's not as simple of a bearing preload setup on the DA.

With that said I still like my DA but I have a lot of experience working on it.
Quote Reply