Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do (sleeved) trisuits cause run overheating
Quote | Reply
Sleeved trisuits are becoming basically standard now - esp amongst the pros.

They generally seem to test faster in the tunnel so saving warts on bike.

But is the harder to measure downside that they might contribute to subsequent run overheating and negate any gains on the bike anyway by reducing run performance?

I couldn’t find much science on this. But think about it. Runners don’t run in tight tight tops (singlets etc). Looser fit allows more ventilation and core cooling. Think about what marathon runners wear.

Overheating core must slow one down. Would a two piece with shirt changed in
T2 be a better option.

Thoughts ?
Quote Reply
Re: Do (sleeved) trisuits cause run overheating [johovishta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it makes sense, and I did just that at Maryland last weekend. Was able to get out of the bike top while I was running to grab my run gear bag. Maybe took and extra 10 seconds to put the run top on after I got my shoes on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idk. Might be annecdotal but Kipchoge beat the WR with arm sleeves on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not noticed a difference in the last 4 seasons racing with a sleeved suit vs. sleeveless. I have raced in some hot and sunny conditions too. You could also say that it keeps body cooler since the sun cannot heat up the skin and burn it and the extra fabric can create a cooling effect when wet. But I have zero evidence to back that up!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've never run in a t-shirt?

I did all my hot weather running this summer in a de soto full sleeve skincooler shirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals isn't quite buying into the sleeved suits yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johovishta wrote:
Sleeved trisuits are becoming basically standard now - esp amongst the pros.

They generally seem to test faster in the tunnel so saving warts on bike.

But is the harder to measure downside that they might contribute to subsequent run overheating and negate any gains on the bike anyway by reducing run performance?

I couldn’t find much science on this. But think about it. Runners don’t run in tight tight tops (singlets etc). Looser fit allows more ventilation and core cooling. Think about what marathon runners wear.

Overheating core must slow one down. Would a two piece with shirt changed in
T2 be a better option.

Thoughts ?

First if they save "warts" on the bike I'm all for it......I really don't want warts.

However since very little heat is lost from your arms I doubt that sleeved tri-suits retain heat under the sleeves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only speak to Wyn Republic’s suit cuz it’s the pnly sleeved suit I’ve worn. I live in the southeast US where summer heat is ridiculous. I’m also a bigger guy (6’2” and 185#) so I was worried about overheating with a sleeved suit. I gotta say, the sleeved suit from WR is the coolest suit I’ve ever worn even with sleeves. It felt awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Do (sleeved) trisuits cause run overheating [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I have not noticed a difference in the last 4 seasons racing with a sleeved suit vs. sleeveless. I have raced in some hot and sunny conditions too. You could also say that it keeps body cooler since the sun cannot heat up the skin and burn it and the extra fabric can create a cooling effect when wet. But I have zero evidence to back that up!

+1

I sunburn easy (except arms, legs, face) when I would wear the Stealth tri top by Castelli I don't burn and don't wear any sunscreen.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s always interesting to look at the choices pros make and armchair if they were the right choices.

Open marathons tend to be held in the morning with cooler temperatures, elite runners have very little upper body mass, and more elite runners are using arm coolers.

There was an article here on ST that covered the negative effects of solar radiation on athletic performance.

Having the proper fabric snug against your skin should be better in the right conditions. Dry, sunny or hot vs. cloudy or humid.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On hot days I have always felt better in a compression shirt with arm coolers.

I hate running in a drenched loose tank top. Much prefer the cooling I get from a tight fitting sleeved shirt.
Quote Reply
Re: Do (sleeved) trisuits cause run overheating [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anecdote ≠ Evidence
Quote Reply
Re: Do (sleeved) trisuits cause run overheating [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another +1. Also, I would venture to say the "cooling" effect is extremely dependent on the materials used to make the suit. I have a black LG Course M-2 and have no issues with overheating. I feel less hot in it than I do a sleeveless suit. I doubt the cheaper materials would provide the same benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Do (sleeved) trisuits cause run overheating [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good point. There are a ton of cheap options out there that undercut the top brands.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1 experience, but I find I am cooler using a sleeved suit than when I went sleeveless. The only logical explanation I can come up with is that it covers more skin, thus less to burn, and I can keep more fabric wet, therefore providing more cooling effect. I definitely find I am much more comfortable from a heat-shedding perspective with the sleeved suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Do (sleeved) trisuits cause run overheating [Travis Newton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Patrick Lange is!

Hope your foot is doing better! (Chris)
Quote Reply
Re: Do (sleeved) trisuits cause run overheating [Travis Newton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure he did a lot of testing to see which suit is fastest on him. Thomas did testing too that said rear zip sleeveless is fastest for them. It's faster for some but not for others.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced in a sleeved suit this year, first full I have done in sleeves. My best time to date. It was hot, not as hot as others I have done but the course had no shade and I burn very quickly. I enjoyed the sun protection the sleeves afford and didn't feel like I was cooking. I do a lot of my summer running with DeSoto skin cooler tops as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course you could at sun protection by changing bike too to a more loose fitting shirt with more ventilation for the run....

Sun protection plus ventilation ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does for me but I'm 5'9" 170lbs. If I was 130lbs, maybe not.
Quote Reply