Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Good article about Colby Pearce and his masters hour record.... Some VERY interesting points... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
w/r to his training:

Last week, Velonews podcast on the Hour. With Colby Pearce.

His statement, he's mainly a Vo2max training guy. 80/20 and so. But of course VN is very pro 80/20 and they always steer the interviews in this direction. Whatever, but he said he considers threshold training only as icing on the cake during peaking.

Now this interview:

PEZ: Tell us about your preparation for the ride.
I have had it in my head all year. The last two years I have been an event ambassador for Haute Route Rockies, and this year I used the event (in late June) to springboard my fitness in preparation for the hour. Over the summer I did a lot of long intervals up our front range canyons, and a lot of aero bar time at Boulder Valley Velodrome. I did several workouts that were focused on 10KM intervals, building up to a 5 x 10KM format on the track. Those make you tough, especially when the CO wind comes out. She loves me and wanted me to be strong, so she hammered me with wind to help me train harder.

June-September would make a long peaking period, at least to my understanding.
Quote Reply
Re: Good article about Colby Pearce and his masters hour record.... Some VERY interesting points... [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i still have that article somewhere - lowest drag recorded on a cyclist at that time, riding a Lotus with mavic clip-ons (from memory). Missy Giove in the tunnel too

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Good article about Colby Pearce and his masters hour record.... Some VERY interesting points... [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undies wrote:
i still have that article somewhere - lowest drag recorded on a cyclist at that time, riding a Lotus with mavic clip-ons (from memory). Missy Giove in the tunnel too
Lotus 110 with HED CX + disc, Look Ergostem and chopped Mavic 351 bars, Descente SeiRyu suit and Bell Vortex helmet is 4.48lb (30mph, tare removed?) the A&M record at the time. "Raising the bars by 8cm increased the drag to 4.9lb" according to the article I have. Intermediate step of road stem ilo Ergostem gave 4.6lb drag. Interesting data for those who say Jonathan Castroviejo is too low for his own good.
Quote Reply
Re: Good article about Colby Pearce and his masters hour record.... Some VERY interesting points... [dontswimdontrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea if he is too low or not, but I have an ergostem and like to test for various heights. 12cm drop was slower for me, then 16-20cm were fastest, then 24cm was slower again. If you go past the point where you are reducing your frontal area, then you are definitely getting slower and frankly, 24cm was brutal--I have never been so happy to find out that a position was slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Good article about Colby Pearce and his masters hour record.... Some VERY interesting points... [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met up with a rider randomly when two roads merged one year--we got talking & he seemed pretty fit. We just chatted back & forth. Just like any nice enough guy on our social ride. By the end of the day that was my first & only experience with Colby Pierce. I know he said he was a track guy & raced professionally. I think he was more impressed I never heard of him than had I been falling all over him with fan-like questions. I don't really follow a lot of cycling pros like many on this forum...so...ya, just another fast dude who turned out to be pretty down to earth when I rode for about an hour with him. Good for Colby--awesome record!
Quote Reply
Re: Good article about Colby Pearce and his masters hour record.... Some VERY interesting points... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colby just won the bronze medal in the 45-49 Individual Pursuit at Master's Worlds in LA. It is live streamed, but you will be able to find tonight's stream later this evening when they upload it.

https://www.mastersworldsla.com/livecoverage

Scroll to about 5 hours in to find the IP finals.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next