Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specific Bike comparison... help please!
Quote | Reply
Hey guys n giris,
I've been happily learning from this forum for a while now so thanks for your help!!!

I am aware the 'which bike' question has been asked a million time but I genuinely cannot find a comparison which I am guessing is because the 2 bikes are normally in different price categories. If anyone of you experienced folk can help I will be forever grateful!!!

I currently have a 2016 caad12 105 10sp and it has been great to learn about cycling and to get a good base fitness. In 2019 I will be going for my first 70.3 and full distance so have been advised by many to get a tt bike now so I can get used to the position to make it a worthwhile investment. At my LBS they are getting all their new 2019 versions in so I can grab (what I hope is) a great price.

Because of this I can either take the 2017 colour Felt IA16 105 at 2250 euros or the 2018 Cervelo P3 ultegra mechanical at 2500 euros.

I know the cervelo fits already as I had a fit when it was full price but couldn't bring myself to spend the money. They have both possible sizes in the IA also so let's presume they both fit. Races and training is a combination of hills and flats as well as really windy and super calm so I guess it's an all rounder I'm looking for!

What would you experienced folk recommend and are those prices good?! Or should I just stick to my caad for first long season.

Thanks in advance and happy racing!
Quote Reply
Re: Specific Bike comparison... help please! [busa65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt IA16, hands down. First, it is probably faster than the P3. Second, the 2017 color is stunning (if you like red, and I do). Third, It has better storage. The P3 has dirty cable routing and the exposed rear brake, which detracts from looks and performance. The Ultegra is nice, but it is very easy to upgrade that in the future.

That is an amazing price for the P3. And, the P3 has been a performance rock since it was introduced in 2013. But, the Felt IA is the modern age.

I started with an IA16 on 105. I upgraded to Ultegra. Then I upgraded to the current gen Ultegra Di2. It is infinitely easier to do incremental component upgrades than a frame upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Specific Bike comparison... help please! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds to be jumping all-in.

I'd do the 1/2 race on clip-ons and then decide if you want the tri-bike and if you'll continue down that road.

That's a lot of money to drop on a bike for a very specific purpose without even ever have done one of the races before.
Quote Reply
Re: Specific Bike comparison... help please! [busa65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The P3 is much easier to work on

Personally it would be a wash between the two bikes. Pick the one that you think looks better.
Quote Reply
Re: Specific Bike comparison... help please! [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
That sounds to be jumping all-in.

I'd do the 1/2 race on clip-ons and then decide if you want the tri-bike and if you'll continue down that road.

That's a lot of money to drop on a bike for a very specific purpose without even ever have done one of the races before.

I'm with this guy!

I spent 2 seasons riding (two different) road bikes with clip-ons before I pulled the trigger on a Tri bike eventually wanting to do long distance stuff. But I still typically ride my current road bike for all my outdoor rides that aren't races (I just enjoy riding that bike on a regular basis). Only use my Tri bike for races and it lives on the trainer the rest of the time. Taken a break from Tris the last few years after having kids but still participate in some short TT events.
Quote Reply
Re: Specific Bike comparison... help please! [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for your input.

Interesting that the Felt is considered the same or better even though it's a considerably lower rrp model. That's the kind of input you can only get from real world users... thanks!

My mech skills aren't great so would be using the LBS for all but the simplest things to make sure I don't break anything... I guess putting back together after travel would be the only major advantage with the p3 in terms of being easier to work with.

For those of you that think it better to stay with my road bike until completing at least a 70.3 and have gone this route themselves.... how much of a disadvantage would I be at by doing that? I don't mean in terms of minutes (I'm looking to do the best I can rather than chase any kind of qualification at this stage) but more extra energy used on the bike and running legs both in training and on the day?

I would love a shiney new machine (wouldn't we all!) but if I can be successful in my goals without getting swept along in the expensive tri whirlwind then I'm all ears!

Thanks again!
Quote Reply