Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Daytona
Quote | Reply
I did a quick search. Not a whole lot on this topic. Does anybody have any particulars on the race above and beyond what’s on the website? I have visited on vacation down there numerous times so I am familiar with the bike course which actually looks pretty cool. Not sure about that swim. I think it is more of a retention pond than anything else laugh out loud. Also wondering if it would be wetsuit legal or not? Not that it really matters except for packing purposes. The venue seems kind of neat and it looks like there will be somewhat of a pro presence there. It also looks like the run will take place entirely within the Daytona 500 speedway Anyone have anything else to add? Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [mgorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's about it. As far as I know that is just a retention pond. Depth will depend on precipitation between now and then but, based on my knowledge of such things, my guess would be a max depth between 4-7'. I'm signed up. Looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are retention ponds usually as large as 29 acres and sixty feet deep?
Last edited by: RBR: Oct 3, 18 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
That's about it. As far as I know that is just a retention pond. Depth will depend on precipitation between now and then but, based on my knowledge of such things, my guess would be a max depth between 4-7'. I'm signed up. Looking forward to it.

Why do you think it is 4-7’ deep?

Did you know they have boat races on the lake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgorris wrote:
I did a quick search. Not a whole lot on this topic. Does anybody have any particulars on the race above and beyond what’s on the website? I have visited on vacation down there numerous times so I am familiar with the bike course which actually looks pretty cool. Not sure about that swim. I think it is more of a retention pond than anything else laugh out loud. Also wondering if it would be wetsuit legal or not? Not that it really matters except for packing purposes. The venue seems kind of neat and it looks like there will be somewhat of a pro presence there. It also looks like the run will take place entirely within the Daytona 500 speedway Anyone have anything else to add? Thanks in advance

Most likely wetsuit legal

The speedway property is approx 450 acres

The infield alone is 150 acres

Part of the run and bike will be on the speedway itself according to their website
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

I've been on *a lot* of greenfield commercial developments. I can't even count how many retention ponds I've seen prior to them being filled with water (probably hundreds at this point). Depth seems to scale with the minimal dimension. In this case, the width of the retention pond is the limiting factor, hence my estimate. If I'm wrong it was built in a very specific way for a very specific purpose at a significant additional cost. If they have a bulkhead along either side (I've never seen it in person) I might increase my estimate to 8-10'.

Edit: I did not know about the boat races but, to be honest, that doesn't change my depth estimate. I live on the Butler Chain and I think the deepest point of Lake Butler is ~20' (a sinkhole mind you) and the average depth is 6' and idiots race on that thing all the time 😂
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Oct 3, 18 15:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
RBR wrote:

I've been on *a lot* of greenfield commercial developments. I can't even count how many retention ponds I've seen prior to them being filled with water (probably hundreds at this point). Depth seems to scale with the minimal dimension. In this case, the width of the retention pond is the limiting factor, hence my estimate. If I'm wrong it was built in a very specific way for a very specific purpose at a significant additional cost. If they have a bulkhead along either side (I've never seen it in person) I might increase my estimate to 8-10'.

Did you miss my post above?

It’s 60’ deep

They hold boat races on it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I misread your post. I thought you were asking me. Damn that's deep... and expensive. Very expensive. I'd be surprised if that was true. I'm only seeing one source for that number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a half at the Homestead Speedway. The swim was just fine. I didn’t have any problems with the water and there were plants growing in it. Near the edge it was shallow plus the plants making it difficult/impossible to swim in that spot. But away from the edge I couldn’t see the bottom. This was near the end of the dry season so I imagine it gets deeper than that (although I guess they can control it underground with outflows).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Jacksonville and am heading down for the race as well. I haven't been to Daytona in the winter but hope they've secured lane closures for the bike course. The road from the speedway to the beach is a cluster to say the least. I know that seems like an obvious no brainer but did Venice the last year Challenge was in FL and it was a mess. I haven't been in Lake Lloyd but it's massive. Wetsuit honestly could be a coin flip dependent on rain. Last few Decembers have been summer like temps. I'm hoping for cooler temps
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a long way from northern IL, but the unique venue and what looks like a solid level of race organization led me to sign up this morning. I'd be interested if anyone local has any insight or advice on logistics or any other race-related info. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark M wrote:
It's a long way from northern IL, but the unique venue and what looks like a solid level of race organization led me to sign up this morning. I'd be interested if anyone local has any insight or advice on logistics or any other race-related info. Thanks.

And no blue lips :-)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...hope not! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the practice swim. Water was beautiful with some massive carp, lol. The fins on the surface caught our attention pretty fast. It was dug out to build up the banks for the track not to catch run off water although it might do that too. I didn't get itchy nose, runny nose or sneezes like I do in other Florida bodies of water. Expect wind coming off the ocean. Probably a chilly wind at that. They will be doing a rolling start that is self seeded in Coral finish times. 2 people every 5 seconds. It worked well for us and they were very open about asking us how we liked it. I am excited to race and hoping for little wind.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess this is the official Challenge Daytona Thread. My question is about the bike course. I am curious of the road conditions. Are they freshly paved? There has to be some local knowledge on these roads. Curious how high I should run my tubulars psi, I know if it rains that can change what I do but.. at 175 pnds.. hmmm

Athlete guide here with bike course.

https://challenge-daytona.com/briefing-athletes-guide/

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Last edited by: SpeedOfCourse: Nov 22, 18 3:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wurf and Starky are both racing, let the pissing match and trash talk begin. Wurf to outbike and outrun Starky.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [SpeedOfCourse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A buddy of mine just moved from Daytona and said that course is going to be very smooth and very fast. Possible strong wind coming off the ocean which will on our right going out and in our left coming back.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will Starky sit on Potts feet for the swim or just go balls to the wall from the start?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They came out of the water together in Kona, and Wurf was only 40 seconds back. I dont imagine Wurf is going to be all that far back after the swim so I don't think it really even matters what Starky and Potts do. Wurf out biked Starky in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Daytona [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be great to see them coming back on the bike but the way the course is setup we won't see any of the leaders. I am pretty excited about this race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just going to throw this out there: Challenge Daytona will be a very very very flat course. Starky weighs 84kg. Wurf weighs... 71kg? Now I know Wurf has a huge engine but so does Starky... we just don't really have any data as to "how" big Starky's engine is. Figure Starky is 5w/kg and Wurf is 5.2w/kg (just hypothetical numbers). That puts Starky at 420w and Wurf at 370w. Assume they have the same cda and assume they both pace at 85% of FTP. Starky is pushing 42 watts which should translate to a 6:00 advantage for Starky.

Size is your friend on a flat bike course. Assuming both are in equal form, I've got Starky arriving first to T2 by at least a couple of minutes. Whether or not he cold hold off Wurf on the run is questionable.
Quote Reply