Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best bike workouts to improve your run
Quote | Reply
Hi team,

I was interested to hear peoples thoughts about using an indoor training to improve my running fitness. I realise that the best/most efficient way to improve my running is running however given my time constraints during the week i'm struggling to get out and therefore have to do my quality runs on the weekend - usually a track/tempo run and a long run. Obviously there is some crossover between the fitness systems, but I was wondering what type of trainer workouts would provide the most benefit for my running: long aerobic, sweet spot, or VO2 max? - I would have thought aerobic and sweet spot, but I have no idea. If it's relevant, im 73kgs have been running for about 4 months, 10km time around 40 minutes FTP 275. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [stubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice numbers.....40 min 10K, FTP 3.8 Watts/kg.....many of us will be envious already.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike for 10 min then run for an hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not having time to run, but time to bike sounds like a contradiction.

By its very nature, cycling takes up more time for what it is. I'd say the ratio of time input per distance about similar to how a triathlon weights the distance for bike/run.

All that to say, why not just run? Rain/weather? I'm a cyclist that hates running, but will run in rain or snow if out of town for work just to get a workout in.

From a standpoint of time management only, I'd say HIIT. Something like a 2:1 or 1:1 work ratio in two sets for a half hour. If your 275 was a real 20min test, do something like 350w 1min, 100w 1min for 5 repeats. Two sets. Half hour total.

Brick that bike session with a 1/2 hour run at tempo or steady state. Whatever that zone is for running. Again, time and zone, not distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find bike intervals maintain or in combination with volume improve my bike fitness.

Long aerobic efforts on the bike seem to transfer better to run fitness for me.

If you are time constrained, then I don’t think biking is the answer.

Getting the right gear to run during the shorter fall/winter days is probably the right solution.

What keeps you from running during the week?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue is day light, not rain or weather.. I just don't have anywhere near my house where I can go running easily in the dark making it hard to run before or after work. I have a trainer at home so I can easily do a nighttime session, although it is hard to get to sleep after riding late at night. I did consider joining a 24 hour gym to use the treadmills, but I think I can get by with two quality weekend runs and some extra mid week bike work. I do a weekly VO2 max session as part of TR program very similar to what you have suggested, they are definitely helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a decent quality rechargeable head lamp like this one: https://www.amazon.com/...cp_api_cvHTBbC2WHNHF[/url]

And some cheap clip on safety lights for the back of you like these: https://www.amazon.com/...cp_api_txHTBbW99R3X4[/url]

If you are running aerobically (which I would think you should be). The lights are plenty powerful enough for you to see where you are running and keep you safe. I wouldn’t be comfortable running too close to tempo pace in the dark, but people do it...

I love the peace and quiet of running in the dark. Just the sound of your feet hitting the ground and your breathing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want aerobic fitness, long Z2 rides.
Improve VO2, Max out sets.

Riding probably will not make you faster on the run, but you can improve the engine (fitness) as a supplement.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stubs wrote:
The issue is day light, not rain or weather.. I just don't have anywhere near my house where I can go running easily in the dark making it hard to run before or after work. I have a trainer at home so I can easily do a nighttime session, although it is hard to get to sleep after riding late at night. I did consider joining a 24 hour gym to use the treadmills, but I think I can get by with two quality weekend runs and some extra mid week bike work. I do a weekly VO2 max session as part of TR program very similar to what you have suggested, they are definitely helpful.

I haven't found that the bike does much for the run. Too much of run fitness is the tolerance of the "pounding". I do find that I see crossover FROM the run TO the bike---ie, the aerobic component from running transfers to biking.

I agree with SBDinSD regarding lights to enable running in the dark. I live in the far out country where dark is DARK. I run on country roads with a 300 lumen headlamp (similar to the one SBR listed). That's plenty bright to see the ground quite a ways out in front. I also use a tracer360 lighted vest thingy to be seen. I like the idea of putting a flashing taillight on it, too. I may have to try that with the one from my bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running has maybe helped with my biking but the opposite isn't true. Invest in a good headlamp or some Knuckle Lights - running at night is awesome. Or get a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Running has maybe helped with my biking but the opposite isn't true.....

Wasn't the consensus on these forums a few years back just the opposite? Biking helps with the run a little but running doesn't improve the bike?

Or is it a YMMV type of thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just what I have experienced in races.

College runners doing their first tri with whatever bike they can get their hands on actually kick arse on the bike considering

Have not seen that with college bikers doing well in the run

As to the OPs question how about getting a treadmill ?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had injury that sidelined me for close to 2 years and my run has deteriorated to the point where i don't really actively run anymore.
This year, I got a power meter and started training with power (egrDB + GoldenCheetah) nearly exclusively and yesterday's (dualthon) event I had a breakthru where I managed to hit a new PB of 25:05 for a 5k and 55 for a 10k. (My bike split suffered tho.. )

So, I'm in the camp of - yeah.. it (biking) did help...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was my experience, anyhow.

Ran my second fastest open half marathon (and if adjusted for elevation, maybe faster, I was 1 minute slower and 4,000 ft higher) off just bike training. Went for a 3.5-4 mile run randomly on wednesday afternoon and was excited with how fast I was running for not having run in ~6-8 months. Tried to find a 5k that weekend to see what I could do, couldn't find one, or a 10k, but I did find a half marathon.

Race went quite well. Could barely walk after for several days.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first off I'll second the advice to get a nice headlamp. I use a black diamond and get a lot of good training in before sunrise. Especially when the days get short in the winter. I will stay in when it's icy though.

I've found my best running occurs when I'm fittest. For me that means FTP workouts (2-3 x 10-20 min at FTP) and VO2 max sessions (4-8 x 3-8 min). All of these are hard and draining. Plus fast running means being skinny, so whatever you need to do to stay thin helps.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it can be done on two workouts per week, let alone weekend warrior style sandwiched together. Maybe on three running workouts a week is doable, say a Friday after work, Sunday, and once during the week. You are going to have to hit each of the three primary systems, speed, strength, and endurance. So, for example a 3x per week plan might include 400 -800 meter repeats, one tempo run, and one long run. I concur with you on night time workouts, VERY disturbing to sleep patterns, I can say from experience. Can you arrange your work schedule to fit in lunch time runs? If not, you need a treadmill in your house.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the consensus was or even if it matters. It should be obvious that they are radically different activities, one is a sit down sport the other done basically at nearly vertical. Running cadence is roughly double that of cycling, so that one is a power sport, the other is done even with little to no muscle size. So, the question is how does a cyclist over-come the damage to running caused by cycling. (1) change your bike frame to position ones-self to a more erect angle, i.e ride a bike with a criterium frame. (2) observe that there is a false sense of running cadence ability induced by cycling. Most cyclists who are not professionals will attempt to run the transition at a cadence that while it feels right, is faster than they are trained to handle. Bottom line, run more and allow time to adapt.
Last edited by: Deserwest: Oct 8, 18 15:41
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
so whatever you need to do to stay thin helps.

Power to Weight is important.. I think on race days I go to the throne for 5-6x to offload a ton of crap.. lolz..

fastest 5k and 10k ever last week.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [Deserwest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Running cadence is roughly double that of cycling,

Err no, not really. Cycling cadence is usually counted as one revolution of one leg, whereas running stride rate (aka cadence) counts the impact of each leg on the ground. Hence the appearance that cycling cadence is half that of running.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Damn, beat me to it. What else? Powercranks!
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you always cycle at 90 cadence you would be correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [Deserwest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Do the fastest racers seem to go approx 85 cadence in all three. Swim, bike run ?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike workouts to improve your run [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

Do the fastest racers seem to go approx 85 cadence in all three. Swim, bike run ?

I run at 180, and I am no elite runner by any means. Anywhere above 160 (steps per minute) I think would be a normal range for running.

In my opinion, I think runners who cycle try to push a bigger gear than a cyclist would, which makes no sense at all, given the assumed lower leg strength is probably greater for the cyclist.. So, probably 80-100 rpm is the norm, unless the hill steepness overwhelms your gearing.

Could not tell you about swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Haha spat up some coffee on that one
Quote Reply