Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is a twitter rant and a firing forthcoming?
Quote | Reply
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/us-ambassador-nato-defends-canada-1.4847224
Quote Reply
Re: Is a twitter rant and a firing forthcoming? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No and no.

(BTW, the proper verb would be "are", not "is".)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Couple of things (okay, maybe three):

1. Like Australia, Canada has stood with the United States in every conflict -- and in the war against terror -- since WWI. No one can (and no one does) fault Canada's bona fides when it comes to standing with the U.S. when fighting needs to be done.

2. I'm not sure von Drumpf has actually screamed all that loudly about Canada's monetary contributions to the NATO alliance. It's the Euros who chap his (inordinately large) a$$, I'd say.

3. Hutchinson may be playing good cop to von Drumpf's Darth Vader/bad cop in all this. He's a hammer, and to a hammer everything looks like a nail, right?

I have no complaint about the commitment and dedication and military professionalism of Canada when it comes to the common defense of NATO as well as North America. Damn proud of their contributions, in fact. And I always loved hitting a Canuck Navy ship or submarine and trading sea stories with their guys. As well as partaking of all that liquor and beer they had on board. :-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Is a twitter rant and a firing forthcoming? [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
No and no.

(BTW, the proper verb would be "are", not "is".)

Well thanks again Jim for your usual useful contribution. you certainly are a man of few words.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a twitter rant and a firing forthcoming? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Couple of things (okay, maybe three):

1. Like Australia, Canada has stood with the United States in every conflict -- and in the war against terror -- since WWI. No one can (and no one does) fault Canada's bona fides when it comes to standing with the U.S. when fighting needs to be done.

2. I'm not sure von Drumpf has actually screamed all that loudly about Canada's monetary contributions to the NATO alliance. It's the Euros who chap his (inordinately large) a$$, I'd say.

3. Hutchinson may be playing good cop to von Drumpf's Darth Vader/bad cop in all this. He's a hammer, and to a hammer everything looks like a nail, right?

I have no complaint about the commitment and dedication and military professionalism of Canada when it comes to the common defense of NATO as well as North America. Damn proud of their contributions, in fact. And I always loved hitting a Canuck Navy ship or submarine and trading sea stories with their guys. As well as partaking of all that liquor and beer they had on board. :-)

The OP was actually not so much about NATO or Canada, but the reaction of somebody else. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to pick a nit
Canada as a nation did not support Vietnam or the second way with Iraq. Had friends who volunteered to U.S.forces to fight the former. So not quite all conflicts.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Is a twitter rant and a firing forthcoming? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right.
AFAIK, Australia is the only entrant on that list.
(I seem to recall that Poland is very high on the "most loyal support" list, as well as the "least acknowledged support" list.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Just to pick a nit
Canada as a nation did not support Vietnam or the second way with Iraq. Had friends who volunteered to U.S.forces to fight the former. So not quite all conflicts.

And that was a damn good thing. I'm glad Canada was been smart enough to stay out of those pointless conflicts. Nam was more or less a "made in America" war although the Aussies were also there for a short time, but had virtually no other international support. Iraq #2 hasn't proven much despite the mega bucks spent there. We were in Afghanistan were quite a while but are mostly out now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Just to pick a nit

Fine. Canada sucks, then. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes,

Iirc 30 thousand Canadians volunteered for Vietnam, I think about the same amount of Americans came across our borders as refugees.

With Iraq it was pretty clear that bush was lying or had bad information/intent, so Cretien said no.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
jriosa wrote:
Just to pick a nit

And that was a damn good thing. I'm glad Canada was been smart enough to stay out of those pointless conflicts. Nam was more or less a "made in America" war although the Aussies were also there for a short time, but had virtually no other international support. Iraq #2 hasn't proven much despite the mega bucks spent there. We were in Afghanistan were quite a while but are mostly out now.

We did some training with Australian SAS units out in Western OZ back in the day (near Harold E. Holt) and a couple of the instructors were retired Ozzy SAS who did time in Vietnam. They had some stories, that's for sure. Brave SOBs.

Quote Reply
Re: Is a twitter rant and a firing forthcoming? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Yes,

Iirc 30 thousand Canadians volunteered for Vietnam, I think about the same amount of Americans came across our borders as refugees.

With Iraq it was pretty clear that bush was lying or had bad information/intent, so Cretien said no.

Maurice

I know only one CDN kid from high school that volunteered to go to Viet Nam. He had flunked grade 10 twice, dropped out and then tried to get into the Canadian Army but was rejected. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer but at that time the US Army would take anybody with a pulse if they were willing to go to Vietnam since almost everybody else was trying to stay out of the draft. He went, got shot, was given the purple heart and came back to Canada. Lost touch many years ago. I remember a documentary on the Canadians that did join up. Got the impression that a lot of them were mixed up kids like my h.s. friend often with no better options in life. I'm sure not all of them were like that as some would have been ideology driven, but also sure most were like my old h.s buddy..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Yes,

Maurice

I know only one CDN kid from high school that volunteered to go to Viet Nam. He had flunked grade 10 twice, dropped out and then tried to get into the Canadian Army but was rejected. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer but at that time the US Army would take anybody with a pulse if they were willing to go to Vietnam since almost everybody else was trying to stay out of the draft. He went, got shot, was given the purple heart and came back to Canada. Lost touch many years ago. I remember a documentary on the Canadians that did join up. Got the impression that a lot of them were mixed up kids like my h.s. friend often with no better options in life. I'm sure not all of them were like that as some would have been ideology driven, but also sure most were like my old h.s buddy..

Well, the Canadians serving in the U.S. military that I knew and served with, because plenty of 'Nam vets were still in when I enlisted, weren't mixed up in the least. Several were Navy Hospital Corpsmen who'd served with Marine Corps line infantry units so they saw the sh*t, so to speak, and performed in a valorous manner to a man. A couple were Marines and it goes without saying that they were top hands.

The ones you're referring to were probably Army, because back then the Army was pretty much taking anyone with a pulse (google "McNamara's Hundred Thousand" or "Project 100,000" for an idea of what I'm talking about). They were often called "bullet sponges," among other nicknames.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Yes,

Maurice

Well, the Canadians serving in the U.S. military that I knew and served with, because plenty of 'Nam vets were still in when I enlisted, weren't mixed up in the least. Several were Navy Hospital Corpsmen who'd served with Marine Corps line infantry units so they saw the sh*t, so to speak, and performed in a valorous manner to a man. A couple were Marines and it goes without saying that they were top hands.

The ones you're referring to were probably Army, because back then the Army was pretty much taking anyone with a pulse (google "McNamara's Hundred Thousand" or "Project 100,000" for an idea of what I'm talking about). They were often called "bullet sponges," among other nicknames.

As I said, he went into the army.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but we suck well, like a Dyson versus a
Hoover

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

It was more than 10 years, plus a brief redeployment during the fall of Saigon. In international warfare, that is not generally regarded as a "short time". I have no close association with the Forces, but I'm damn careful not to underrate their sacrifices.

As you say, there wasn't a lot of international support, and as with Gulf 2, that made the commitment even more important to the US. As per my earlier post, we are the only country to have backed the US every time. Most Aussies are proud of that, and most Yanks are grateful.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a twitter rant and a firing forthcoming? [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
Most Aussies are proud of that, and most Yanks are completely ignorant of the fact.

FIFY!
Last edited by: trail: Oct 11, 18 8:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Like Australia, Canada has stood with the United States in every conflict -- and in the war against terror -- since WWI. No one can (and no one does) fault Canada's bona fides when it comes to standing with the U.S. when fighting needs to be done.

Canada alliance and relationship with the USA over the past 60 years has been closer than that of any two nations I can think of. Canada supplied much of the raw material for the Manhattan project, including the processing of ores into unenriched uranium in Port Hope, Ontario before shipping it to Los Alamos for enrichment. The NORAD 'defense shield' is one of the greatest examples of a symbiotic military relationship in modern times.

But a few corrections to your statement...

- Canada did not join the USA is the 1983 US invasion of Granada. We figured you didn't need us to help with a tiny tropical island.
- Canada withdrew from entering the 2003 Iraq war (though under NORAD command, some stationed Canadian Air Force pilots flew combat missions with the US Air Force in Iraq - something highly unpopular with the Canadian public who viewed the war as a mistake and unjust.)

And one semantic correction - my Canadian history teacher would point out that it was the USA that followed and stood with Canada in WW1 and WW2, not the other way around. Canada entered WWI in 1914, three years before the USA, and Canada entered WW2 in Sept 1939, two years before the USA.

Canada and the US, as two former British colonies in North America, share a great deal of common historical, demographic, cultural and linguistic heritage.
The two nations can be viewed analogous to brothers - we occasionally may bicker and think the other is an idiot, but when conflict with a third party arises - blood quickly proves thicker than water and we tend to stick up for each other.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

I know only one CDN kid from high school that volunteered to go to Viet Nam....Not the sharpest knife in the drawer but at that time the US Army would take anybody with a pulse...

The ones you're referring to were probably Army, because back then the Army was pretty much taking anyone with a pulse

Sorry, but this was funny.
Quote Reply