Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TSA "pre inspection" of bike box possible at airport?
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I usually use Tribike Transport for my out of town races but they aren't doing AZ70.3 so I am packing up my bike. I think I decided to take it with me on the plane vs. Bikeflights (unless someone thinks Bikeflights = less chance of damage?) Anyway, I will be using a Thule Round Trip and from reading post most damage at the airport happens if/when TSA opens things up to inspect and doesn't pack it back up correctly... so I was curious if anyone has had any luck with having TSA inspect while you are standing there..so you can open it, let them look around, then have you close it up (and they can put TSA inspection stickers and take it from you at that time.)

And yes... I realize that is asking A LOT of TSA (and I travel over 100k miles a year for work... so I get it)… but was just curious if anyone has had any luck doing something like this?

thx much.

Quote | Reply
I've had them open and inspect while I was standing there. Then I corrected when they tried to put something where it doesn't belong.

Bike flights is less expensive vs flying and Fed Ex isn't opening your case to inspect it. I've done both this year but mainly use bike flights. The one time I didn't was bc it was to Canada and bike flights was ~ $5 less vs flying.

The one drawback of shipping it vs flying is it'll take 2-5d depending where it's going. NBD if you've got another bike to ride.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: TSA "pre inspection" of bike box possible at airport? [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In most of my experience, when my bike bag has been looked in, it has been after I dropped it (and you know because they either left you a note, or you can tell by how it's packed). Ironically the only time I have had any damage (other than the odd scrape or nick) flying with my bike was the one time it was inspected in front of me (tiny airport, and bike bag couldn't fit through their baggage x-ray), and that damage was not from the inspection, but from the rough baggage handlers at the receiving airport...

Most recently I had a note from security in Copenhagen that they had confiscated a nearly new can of chain degreaser because it was an "illegal aerosol" to fly with on the way back from racing over there.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA "pre inspection" of bike box possible at airport? [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all depends on the airport and how busy they are. I think I was at the Tallahassee airport after IMFL, once upon at time, and they just opened it right in front of me. There were a bunch of other athletes whom they did the same to.

I left the U.S for IM Frankfurt one year and the TSA agent at IAD opened it in front of me.

Most of the time, I just see their pamphlet in the bike case. I don't think it hurts to ask.

Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
Hi all, I usually use Tribike Transport for my out of town races but they aren't doing AZ70.3 so I am packing up my bike. I think I decided to take it with me on the plane vs. Bikeflights (unless someone thinks Bikeflights = less chance of damage?) Anyway, I will be using a Thule Round Trip and from reading post most damage at the airport happens if/when TSA opens things up to inspect and doesn't pack it back up correctly... so I was curious if anyone has had any luck with having TSA inspect while you are standing there..so you can open it, let them look around, then have you close it up (and they can put TSA inspection stickers and take it from you at that time.)

And yes... I realize that is asking A LOT of TSA (and I travel over 100k miles a year for work... so I get it)… but was just curious if anyone has had any luck doing something like this?

thx much.

TSA routinely did this at Boston Logan (at least at United check-in) - you watched while they opened and inspected, and then they let you close it up. It's been a few years since I took a bike through that airport, though, so not sure if they still do it that way.

I've never requested it at any airport, though - I travel with my bike a lot (in a Hen House) and routinely get the TSA courtesygram showing up in my case, but have never had any damage.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: TSA "pre inspection" of bike box possible at airport? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They literally came onto the plane, walked me off the plane and onto the tarmac where my bike bag was, and asked if I had co2 in it. I told them I did and they asked me to give it to them. 'Em boys in Copenhagen are thorough with their job :)

Trauma wrote:
Most recently I had a note from security in Copenhagen that they had confiscated a nearly new can of chain degreaser because it was an "illegal aerosol" to fly with on the way back from racing over there.

Quote | Reply
In the past, I have read from many that they were able to ask TSA to inspect while they stood there as well. In September, traveled to race in IM Santa Cruz 70.3. I broke my bike down in a Scicon Hard Case and padded the hell out of my bike. I flew Southwest from Houston (Hobby) to San Jose (SJC). Both ways, Southwest asked TSA if I could watch their inspection. In both cities, TSA said no. They claimed it was a logistical issue with the way the bags make thier way to them at the smaller airports. Both times TSA did inspect inside the bike case. I couldn't tell if they moved anything but the TSA flyer was inside. The bike was not damaged during this trip.

**On a side note: If your bike case/bag has built in TSA locks, make sure you bring the TSA keys! I did not bring my keys to IMSC70.3 and did not lock my TSA built-in locks when I turned in the bike case. In Houston, TSA locked my case after inspecting the bike (on the way to the race). I didn't notice it until after I drove an hour from San Jose to Santa Cruz and was checking into my AirBnb. This caused me to burn an entire evening (traffic kicked in) running back to an airport to have TSA unlock the bike case. Good thing I had an extra day built in to checkin & turn the bike in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a few years since I've flown with a bike, but the last time I did it passengers had a right to be present during the inspection, upon request. I never had a problem with getting that to happen. When I checked in my bike with the airline I told them I wanted to be present for the inspection and they pointed me in the right direction. I never was allowed to touch the box or anything in it during the inspection but afterwards could provide guidance on how to pack it back up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:

thx much.

I have used both many times and I would have to say that BikeFlights seems like the much safer option. I really don't know if this is the case statistically, but it would logically seem that a logistics company, Fedex, would care more about your baggage, than what I have personally observed of TSA and commercial flight baggage handlers.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: TSA "pre inspection" of bike box possible at airport? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One would think, but I deal with the big shippers for work (and with larger packages, similar in size to bikes) and I have seen them absolutely demolish some packages. They've gotten pretty good at dealing with the small to mid-size parcels (think most Amazon shipments) but they struggle with large parcels. I've also watched UPS drivers take boxes covered in fragile/ handle with care stickers and throw them around like watermelons at a Gallagher show. They can also be an enormous pain with claims. Although in all fairness the same can be said about airlines, so I usually just pick whatever works better for the trip I'm on and use insurance and prayer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the airport and the TSA person that is working there. I've gone through small airports that are not busy where they tell you to bring your bike box right up to the TSA inspection table and they allow you to stand there while they open it up.

As with all people, some are really nice and some hate their jobs. Most times they don't mind you talking to them and instructing them the best way to put things back as they should and they thank you for making their job easier. I've had other times where me and my 3 friends dropped our bikes off at the table (there were already 4 bikes waiting to be inspected) and the TSA guy literally told us "what the hell is with all of these bikes" and shook his head. We sat on the side while the guy inspected our bikes and observed from a distance, but we weren't about to stand next to him and engage conversation as he clearly would have not appreciated it.

Other times I've been to airports and you just drop them off and their inspection area isn't exactly accessible for your to watch or supervise.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA "pre inspection" of bike box possible at airport? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've had similar experiences as described above, though I did have Homeland or TSA inspect my bag POST check-in after it had been looked at by an agent and they opened my rice cake container and didn't seal it properly.
I get it, they legit look like small blocks of heroin or something all wrapped up nicely. But it ended up exploding all over my bag and caused a complete mess and left me without food.

Now i leave a note taped to the ziploc container explaining what it is, and the recipe of ingredients. Anything to avoid them destroying my food.
Also do the same with homemade gels in those travel shampoo squeeze bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've have them open and inspect while I was there at DTW, SLC and ELP.

I now have TSA Pre and I noticed that there was no inspection slip in my luggage either way or in my bike box on the way there. (I shipped my bike back)

I suppose it's possible that they just didn't put a slip in there but nothing was disturbed in my bike box when I opened it in Utah.
Last edited by: jaretj: Oct 4, 18 2:21
Quote Reply
Re: TSA "pre inspection" of bike box possible at airport? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thought about precheck. On my most recent trip I didn’t have any TSA slips in my bag and my packing method looked undisturbed.

I recall something about photographers adding a starter pistol to their camera cases so that the TSA inspection would be done with them present but don’t know the details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on the airport, and on TSA whim that day. I think they purposefully try to remain unpredictable and change their procedures. I've had them inspect the bike box in a booth with me standing there, next time same booth but they kicked me out and didn't let me look, I was asked to send it through an oversize xray machine, I've had airline ask me to give the box to their oversize baggage handler and they took it through a locked door somewhere behind the scenes and later I found the TSA inspection notice inside, and I've had the box go through regular baggage check like all other bags. All that at the same airport. Out of couple of dozen times flying with the bike box, they let me watch and help close the box just once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fly often with my bike and TSA opens the case outside of my view on most flights. I do put a note in case that I do not have any CO2 as I assume that is what they root around looking for. I have no idea if it helps but it certainly can't hurt. It's been a while since I had any damage while traveling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They made me open the bike box when flying. It was no issue, but plan for the extra 15 min when flying out.

I carried my zipps on the plane and they fit in the overhead compartment. Had to let the air out of the tires though to close the door up. I didn’t trust the wheels packed in the bike box.
Quote Reply