Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Waxed chain vs. Island riding
Quote | Reply
I use waxed chains and am heading to Kona. I'll have a specific race chain but am concerned about the training chain holding up in possible wet weather. I'm to going to lug the whole set up so I guess my question is is riding a week on waxed chain that has gotten wet the end of the world? What is the best dry lube to use with a waxed chain if need be? Any advice is welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain vs. Island riding [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take some Squirt. If you use it, clean the chain before waxing again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do i understand correctly that you are already bringing two chains (one training chain and one race chain)? If so, I'm not sure i understand the problem. You can train on the training chain in the rain, and then put the race chain on 1 ride before you rack your bike (you should probably get a short ride on the race chain before racking your bike, just to make positive that the bike is dialed in before race day).

And if that isn't the case, then why don't you just bring a second chain for training? It would be a whole lot easier to bring two waxed chains than it would to lug your whole waxing setup. Swapping chains if you have a quick link only takes a couple minutes with the right tool.

Or, like Ruff said, you can just bring some Squirt and apply that before you rack your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How often do you think it rains in Kona? I've surprised if you saw any.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain vs. Island riding [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
How often do you think it rains in Kona? I've surprised if you saw any.

It has been raining quite a bit there recently. Very humid conditions. More of an afternoon issue than for morning rides, but everyday there seem to be a lot of riders caught out on the Queen K in heavy afternoon rain. Very common in the section between the airport and Waikoloa Beach Resort.

Form OP I also recommend using some Squirt to touch up your training chain if you end up in wet conditions. Bikeworks carries Squirt if you don’t have it locally before heading over.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxed chain vs. Island riding [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have two chains, was more worried about the training chain making it through the week with out re-waxing if I got caught in wet conditions. I meant to say I'm NOT going to lug the wax set up to Kona. I ordered some squirt as the others suggested and hopefully that will suffice. Thanks!!
Quote Reply