Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars
Quote | Reply
I’m trying to figure out which IA would be better. My stack and reach are 535/465 to center of pads. According to the Felt fit calc I should fit on either the integrated version or the 31.8 stem version.

If I went with an IAxx size 51 frame, I think I’d need to under mount my extensions, for example with Zipp Vuka Bull and Alumina clips (which I’ve already got). I’m not opposed to other bars. Figuring I need a 70mm stem, something like a PD Aeria ultimate stem.

Is an undermount set up a bad idea with cable routing on this frame? Would an IA with integrated stem be a better, cleaner choice?

TIA for tech help on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going the Di2 option then under-mounting with the integrated bars would be a bit tricky as the cable enter through the centre stem cap and it would be a slightly tortuous path for them.
I have to say, I retired my IA2 a few weeks back and love not having to work around the integrated bars, risers and front spacer issues on it anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any tilt on the extensions? If so, how much?
Which armrests for the Pad XY?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
every fit client I've ever had with a Felt ends up having to undermount their bars, or get a new bike. It's no trouble really, cable routing is fine.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
every fit client I've ever had with a Felt ends up having to undermount their bars, or get a new bike. It's no trouble really, cable routing is fine.

"Every"....really, that is quite the statement. I am really surprised. Do you find that your athletes are generally of a certain age/bodytype/flexibility or is this across the spectrum?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
body type and flexibility are red herrings. Unless someone is extremely long of leg, and also produces power better without any pelvic tilt, my clients will all end up long and low quite comfortably, in fact more comfortably than with kitchen table or bike shop fit.

The fact is, the Felt IA is a narrow tall bike which is exacerbated by the stem integration on the IA and the OEM stem design on the IAxx bikes. They do make a longer, steeper OEM stem called the Dagger, but it's still not enough most times.

jayski wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

"Every"....really, that is quite the statement. I am really surprised. Do you find that your athletes are generally of a certain age/bodytype/flexibility or is this across the spectrum?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting to hear, thank you.

It would be worth sending this over to the guys in California as I'm sure Felt would welcome your input...no doubt it will be putting off a lot of prospective customers

ericMPro wrote:
body type and flexibility are red herrings. Unless someone is extremely long of leg, and also produces power better without any pelvic tilt, my clients will all end up long and low quite comfortably, in fact more comfortably than with kitchen table or bike shop fit.

The fact is, the Felt IA is a narrow tall bike which is exacerbated by the stem integration on the IA and the OEM stem design on the IAxx bikes. They do make a longer, steeper OEM stem called the Dagger, but it's still not enough most times.

jayski wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the industry turned away from long and low... and sadly I don't think that they're losing many customers. My biggest problem with any bike is not the stack and reach per se but that my clients are *often* on a bike that's one size too small after a bike shop fit. They always run out of reach after they see me.

jayski wrote:

It would be worth sending this over to the guys in California as I'm sure Felt would welcome your input...no doubt it will be putting off a lot of prospective customers

ericMPro wrote:

jayski wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
the industry turned away from long and low... and sadly I don't think that they're losing many customers. My biggest problem with any bike is not the stack and reach per se but that my clients are *often* on a bike that's one size too small after a bike shop fit. They always run out of reach after they see me.

jayski wrote:

ericMPro wrote:

jayski wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Nearly all your posts relate to being "long and low" whether it's a fit thread or a new bike design. I'm concerned you either fit one type of athlete or simply put everyone in one type of position. How are all these other fitters managing with fairly standard set ups on a range of bikes but you always find the need for an aggressive stem or undermiunt system. By your words all Felt bike fits go undermount. That's a big statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars [Alwaysrunning99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well it's not just the bike, it's also the high stack OEM bars and extensions that comes with the bike that contributes to the problem. An IA with a TriRig system works just fine.

Alwaysrunning99 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

jayski wrote:

ericMPro wrote:

jayski wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Nearly all your posts relate to being "long and low" whether it's a fit thread or a new bike design. I'm concerned you either fit one type of athlete or simply put everyone in one type of position. How are all these other fitters managing with fairly standard set ups on a range of bikes but you always find the need for an aggressive stem or undermiunt system. By your words all Felt bike fits go undermount. That's a big statement.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
jayski wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
jayski wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Undermount is the long/low solution and most often a faster cockpit if above-bar mount isn't 6cm+ over the basebar. Buy the biggest frame, then run extensions under the bars.
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Copy that, thank you. Zipp alumina clips on the Vuka bull have a stack of 37mm so they’re about as low as anything else I can find. I’ve got Zipp evo 110 evo extensions sonim less worried about tilt although it would be nice. Ideal situation is buying just the frame, so the IAxx is my first choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Sorry to resurrect such and old thread but I'm trying to figure out how to undermount the bars on my 2019 IA10. It's no problem to mount the extensions below the basebar using the OEM clamps but there is no way to get the cups to clear the top of the basebar in that configuration.

If you have a second could you let me know how you're doing this? If you had a picture to share that would be even better!

TIA.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars [the chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best way to lower stack height on an IA10 series is to use the Profile Subsonic mount.

Unless your bike has an integrated cockpit?

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure it can, you just need another 2 sets of those same mounts to put the armpads on. But Eric’s solution is far more elegant and what we advise our customers as well.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Sure it can, you just need another 2 sets of those same mounts to put the armpads on. But Eric’s solution is far more elegant and what we advise our customers as well.

Jeroen

I think we are conflating integrated vs. non integrated solutions... with integrated you need an extra set of the “football nuts”

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it’s worth I have a 51cm IA16, with a Devox Bayonet 3 carbon bar. I undermounted the extensions and had originally planned to mount the pads directly on the bar, however I ended up using 1cm pedestal piece and I believe I’m sitting just below 545 stack, to the top of the pads. My goal was 537 but I feel plenty low so I’m leaving it here. Happy to send you pics of it’s helpful, send me a PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea for a stem that's lower, clears the head-tube "bump" and fits on a steerer factory-cut for the OEM stem?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
TRIPRO wrote:

Jeroen

I think we are conflating integrated vs. non integrated solutions... with integrated you need an extra set of the “football nuts”

Sure, but IA10 in non-integrated :-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies! I like the Subsonic option, that should give me more or less exactly the extra drop I'm looking for.

I've been trying to replicate my fit from my old P4 that I wish I still had and this should get me very close.

Does anyone know if the Felt armrests that stock on the P10 will mount on the Subsonic brackets?

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA wizards - need help with aero bars [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Any idea for a stem that's lower, clears the head-tube "bump" and fits on a steerer factory-cut for the OEM stem?

Felt makes the Dagger, a longer -17 version of what comes on them now.

There are other low profile stems that fit as well, aside from TriRig I’d have to look up which one it was.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will need new bolts. Felt use M5 bolts and Profile is M6 I think. Best to get the new brackets too

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered both. Thanks for your help!!
Quote Reply