Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me pick a new trisuit
Quote | Reply
I know many threads on subject, and I've been reading and researching them, but for those that care to indulge my individual thread on the topic...

i'm trying to pick out my next trisuit. coming from a 2xu perform sleeveless suit that has been good to me but it's very basic and im looking for a more slippery and comfy suit as I tee up my first full next year. my desired suit would ideally:

-be sleeved AND have a focus on aero
-cost <275, closer to 200 ideal
-have a chamois or real pad, not just fleece liner or similar
-have some sort of ability to peeing without disrobing, but this not 100% essential

i'm particularly interested in opinions on LG course M2 suits, zoot ultra, huub, and PI. im familiar with desoto riviera (have a pair of the shorts, which I like, but want to explore all options). all opinions/knowledge appreciated, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a new trisuit [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced last season in an LG and this is every bit as good. I purchased one but haven't worn it yet but it fits great, has the open front flaps that make it easy for peeing or getting on and off should you need to and the chamois as with all Ale products are second to none. The only cycling clothing I generally buy now based purely on how good I find their chamois. At this special price it certainly fits your what you're after...

https://www.alebikewear.com/triathlon-tri-stelle-men-short-sleeve-unitard-tri-pad?color=yellow-fluo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
I know many threads on subject, and I've been reading and researching them, but for those that care to indulge my individual thread on the topic...

i'm trying to pick out my next trisuit. coming from a 2xu perform sleeveless suit that has been good to me but it's very basic and im looking for a more slippery and comfy suit as I tee up my first full next year. my desired suit would ideally:

-have some sort of ability to peeing without disrobing, but this not 100% essential

i'm particularly interested in opinions on LG course M2 suits, zoot ultra, huub, and PI. im familiar with desoto riviera (have a pair of the shorts, which I like, but want to explore all options). all opinions/knowledge appreciated, thanks.

The DeSoto Flisuit meets that requirement, although I've never tried peeing on the bike using the suit. It should meet all your other requirements (except, possibly, price). I have several DeSoto suits and they are all great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:

This -> http://www.sailfish.com/.../aerosuit-comp?c=115
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am loving the Scody aero tri suits

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a new trisuit [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2xu and castelli both have suits that fit all those req.
Personally i have the 2xu one, everything is awesome about it but the pad, i sadly dont think it fits me, which is too bad as i have one of their older ones that is absolutely perfect. But that is a thing that comes down to anatomy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look instead of getting 1 off recs from people there are enough threads on ST that you shouldn't have to post a thread about tri suits.

You'll find that brands such as Kiwami, Scody, Coure (all 3 of which I've and/or ex-cyclist have done design work/development testing etc on) LG, Castelli, pearl izumi to be proven suits when it comes to aerodynamics.

Then you'll have brands such as Wattie, DeSoto, Epix, Champion system, zoot, 2xu, Sailfish, Orca, Huub and some others I can't recall off the top of my head that have "aerodynamically styled" suits or claim to be aero although I've not seen testing. One of these brands declined my offer to test their suits for free. You will not find me racing in that suit haha.

There are a hosts of suits out there. Your best bet is to find a couple of places where you can order multiple suits. Buy them all, try them on (be careful as these aren't going to go on as quickly as cycling bibs or plain shorts) , then send back the ones you don't like.

The most important thing to consider for aerodynamics is the fit around the neck/shoulders/upper body when you're in the aero position. Then worry about the rest of the fit of the suit.

Hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:

I know you indicated you're familiar with DeSoto, but I'll just mention that I have the DeSoto Riviera flisuit and am very satisfied with it. It meets all the preferences you list above. I've worn it in races both with and without a wetsuit, in cool weather and hot. Basically, I don't notice it is there, which is exactly what I want.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a new trisuit [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still rocking the Scody you sold me ;)

desert dude wrote:
look instead of getting 1 off recs from people there are enough threads on ST that you shouldn't have to post a thread about tri suits.

You'll find that brands such as Kiwami, Scody, Coure (all 3 of which I've and/or ex-cyclist have done design work/development testing etc on) LG, Castelli, pearl izumi to be proven suits when it comes to aerodynamics.

Then you'll have brands such as Wattie, DeSoto, Epix, Champion system, zoot, 2xu, Sailfish, Orca, Huub and some others I can't recall off the top of my head that have "aerodynamically styled" suits or claim to be aero although I've not seen testing. One of these brands declined my offer to test their suits for free. You will not find me racing in that suit haha.

There are a hosts of suits out there. Your best bet is to find a couple of places where you can order multiple suits. Buy them all, try them on (be careful as these aren't going to go on as quickly as cycling bibs or plain shorts) , then send back the ones you don't like.

The most important thing to consider for aerodynamics is the fit around the neck/shoulders/upper body when you're in the aero position. Then worry about the rest of the fit of the suit.

Hope that helps

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a new trisuit [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huub reckon they can prove it...their anemoi suit for example. You can believe or not their bullshit but they claim they can prove it is quick. What really makes me giggle is this which is on their website "The future of the triathlon suit is changing. We noticed this very early on and have decided that the only way to create something great is to rewrite the rulebook and change expectations" Noticed early on!? Anyway, I digress.

My shout to go for the Sailfish was based on my owning and testing suits from the following brands over the years
> 2XU (1 piece and seperates)
> Castelli (free aero, body paint)
> Orca (dream kona)
> Zoot (Ultra tri)
> Kiwami
> Zone 3 (lava and seperates)
> Huub DS Long Course
> Compressport (1 and 2 piece options)

The sailfish fits nicely, is super comfy, has a good pad and can be totally unzipped. Thats why I think it fits the bill. It is also well within budget.

Changpao wrote:
PBT_2009 wrote:

I know you indicated you're familiar with DeSoto, but I'll just mention that I have the DeSoto Riviera flisuit and am very satisfied with it. It meets all the preferences you list above. I've worn it in races both with and without a wetsuit, in cool weather and hot. Basically, I don't notice it is there, which is exactly what I want.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a new trisuit [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all this feedback is very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really happy with the Roka Gen II Elite suit and it seems like it meets all your demands. It does have a pretty minimal chamois though. I picked mine up for close to $200 when Roka did a 25% off sale, but you can get 20% off anytime.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a new trisuit [Sikedsyko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sikedsyko wrote:
I'm really happy with the Roka Gen II Elite suit and it seems like it meets all your demands. It does have a pretty minimal chamois though. I picked mine up for close to $200 when Roka did a 25% off sale, but you can get 20% off anytime.

Yes, I was tempted to actually pull the trigger on that one with the sale but in researching the suit, all reviews and opinions mentioned how the pad was not good at all at least for long distances. I'm not sure I can get past that feedback. But thanks as that sorta reinforces what I've read about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a new trisuit [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
Huub reckon they can prove it...their anemoi suit for example. You can believe or not their bullshit but they claim they can prove it is quick. What really makes me giggle is this which is on their website "The future of the triathlon suit is changing. We noticed this very early on and have decided that the only way to create something great is to rewrite the rulebook and change expectations" Noticed early on!? Anyway, I digress.

My shout to go for the Sailfish was based on my owning and testing suits from the following brands over the years
> Orca (dream kona)
> Zoot (Ultra tri)
> Kiwami
> Huub DS Long Course

The sailfish fits nicely, is super comfy, has a good pad and can be totally unzipped. Thats why I think it fits the bill. It is also well within budget.

I think every company makes far fetching claims about their stuff, whether it be trisuits, bikes, wheels, anything so that doesn't really bother me. The huub suits seem pretty solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
jayski wrote:

> Orca (dream kona)
> Zoot (Ultra tri)
> Kiwami
> Huub DS Long Course

I think every company makes far fetching claims about their stuff, whether it be trisuits, bikes, wheels, anything so that doesn't really bother me. The huub suits seem pretty solid.

You can do a LOT better for the money imo.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a new trisuit [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

^^^ listen to JaySki. He knows his stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:

Sanremo by castelli - probably the most comfortable thing I have ever worn.
Their Stealth Tri Top is great too if you're looking for a 2pc.

My only gripe with castelli is the Tri Shorts.
-The waste-band sucks
The wast-band folds and rolls over. Normally the waste-band wouldn't be an issue but... There are these little red hard plastic snaps that attach the castelli basic tri top to these shorts. I'm short so the top I had fell two inches below these, making the functionality completely worthless not to mention they stab you in the back the entire race. Fortunately for me I had the Stealth tri top and tucked it in. The stealth top has the rubber grippies that grab your waist and stay snug.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a new trisuit [D_PRC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I am pretty certain I want a 1 piece, they're just more comfortable to me. I saw the video castelli has on their KISS chamois, it seems pretty good. Castelli may be the leader in the clubhouse right now, either sanremo or the all out speed suit.

Im 5'9", around 140 lbs...castelli sizing is always a discussion topic. I have a perfeto jersey in M that fits me well, but by size chart on their site for trI suit I'd firmly fall under S. Any other castelli tri suit wearers, can you comment on your metrics and how the sizing worked for you? I guess I could order S and M and return whichever one doesn't fit right if I'm a tweener...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with what the chart says.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply