Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oakley EVZero or Smith Pivlock
Quote | Reply
I’m looking for recommendations for frameless sunglasses for the bike. I think I’ll probably go with a pair of either Oakley EVZero or Smith Pivlocks but am curious if anyone has additional recommendations.

Yes I know Roka has frameless sunglasses because they email me about them 3-4 times a day, but online they look pretty ugly, even for frameless sunglasses.

I actually had a pair of Pivlocks that I raced with for a few seasons, but I destroyed them with the rider mower last weekend (mowed over ground nesting bees and while defending myself/getting stung over a dozen times I swatted my glasses off and ran over them). The Pivlocks were fine, but the lenses don’t seem nearly as good as some Oakley prizm lenses I’ve tried.

And for anyone who has EVZeros, which version do you recommend? Seems like there are several different styles: Path, Pitch, Stride, etc.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley EVZero or Smith Pivlock [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EVs. They are amazing and Oakley’s Prism lenses are great. They weigh nothing and stay on your face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both and much prefer the oakleys. I broke the nose piece on my pivlocks and picked up the oakleys while waiting for replacement parts from Smith. I have the evzero stride shape which have great coverage. I love oakley lenses for their optics ( i have prism road on these ones) , and the oakleys are very light. I have tried on the rokas but found them too small for my face and saw no reason to buy over the oakleys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frameless glasses aren't all that.

I have EVZero's, but just bought a pair of Roka GP-1 in the classifieds.

Also,the Smith Chromapop lenses are just as good as Oakley Prizm.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley EVZero or Smith Pivlock [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about getting the Oakley EVZero and getting a clear lens for night riding. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smiths all the way. I have never had a set of Oakleys last me a year without dying in some way shape or form. I think the lenses may be better now but IMO have been crap. The Smiths are awesome and can adjust the nose piece to suit your face. I have a few pairs but I have my day to day training pair that just won't die and the lenses don't seem to scratch as easy as Oakleys. Find a cheap set of new Smith Pivlock Arenas on Ebay cheap and you can't go wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Evzero path for running, I like the flight jackets for riding
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're not frameless, but consider the Oakley Field Jacket. The upper frame is pretty high up and doesn't interfere with my sight in the TT position. They've also got a cool feature where you can click them away from your face up to 7mm for ventilation/fog control, for example when you're climbing in hot/humid conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both the Oakley EVZero Path and the Smith PivLock Arena Max. I prefer the Oakley over the Smith. The Oakley is very light (only 22g) and more comfortable than the Smith (28g). Oakley lenses are definitely sharper with great contrast for riding. Go with the EVZero Prizm Path for cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley EVZero or Smith Pivlock [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cabdoctor wrote:
I was thinking about getting the Oakley EVZero and getting a clear lens for night riding. Thoughts?

Get the Oakley EVZero Path Photochromic, which you can use for both day and night riding. The lens will automatically darken under bright light conditions and turn clear at night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the new Smith Reverbs. I like them better than my Pivlocks and attacks.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley EVZero or Smith Pivlock [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
Check out the new Smith Reverbs. I like them better than my Pivlocks and attacks.

Hadn't seen the Reverbs before but they do look pretty nice. Trouble seems to be the price – it's not hard to find EVZero's with prizm lenses in the $70-80 range, or Pivlock's in the $60-70 range, but I can't find the Reverbs for anything but full price.

Do yours have the Chromapop lenses? Are they better than the standard Pivlock lense, or comparable to Oakley prizm lenses?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried either the Smith or Oakley glasses, but I have been happy with some Tifosi Podium frameless glasses that I picked up here in the classifieds a while back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:

Hadn't seen the Reverbs before but they do look pretty nice. Trouble seems to be the price – it's not hard to find EVZero's with prizm lenses in the $70-80 range, or Pivlock's in the $60-70 range, but I can't find the Reverbs for anything but full price.

Do yours have the Chromapop lenses? Are they better than the standard Pivlock lense, or comparable to Oakley prizm lenses?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Yeah Reverbs are new so they probably won't be on sale until next season.

Mine have Chromapop and its way better than the standard lens. The prizm is a nice but I feel like the colors are more natural with the Chromapop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
I’m looking for recommendations for frameless sunglasses for the bike. I think I’ll probably go with a pair of either Oakley EVZero or Smith Pivlocks but am curious if anyone has additional recommendations.

Yes I know Roka has frameless sunglasses because they email me about them 3-4 times a day, but online they look pretty ugly, even for frameless sunglasses.

I actually had a pair of Pivlocks that I raced with for a few seasons, but I destroyed them with the rider mower last weekend (mowed over ground nesting bees and while defending myself/getting stung over a dozen times I swatted my glasses off and ran over them). The Pivlocks were fine, but the lenses don’t seem nearly as good as some Oakley prizm lenses I’ve tried.

And for anyone who has EVZeros, which version do you recommend? Seems like there are several different styles: Path, Pitch, Stride, etc.

Thanks!

No experience with the Roka but my favorite set is the Oakley EvZero over the Smith Pivlocks and Tifosi Podium. I wrote a bit about each in an older article I did on $10 cheap aero sunglasses. The $10 recommend pair is an easy way to experiment with rimless sunglasses and buy a few extra to store in the car, workshop, etc.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley EVZero or Smith Pivlock [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
cabdoctor wrote:

Get the Oakley EVZero Path Photochromic, which you can use for both day and night riding. The lens will automatically darken under bright light conditions and turn clear at night.

I have the Oakley Photochromics. They are nice but just don't cut in bright conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy my Oakley EVZero but have found myself using them less now that I have a helmet with magnetic visor.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley EVZero or Smith Pivlock [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:

X2

Best of all worlds!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
RichardL wrote:
cabdoctor wrote:

I have the Oakley Photochromics. They are nice but just don't cut in bright conditions.

They are very dark for me in bright conditions - almost too dark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've happily bought three pairs of the Pivlocks in the last few weeks for a max of £25. Full case, spare lenses.
One pair for me, the WSD size for my wife (which she didn't like and I've now appropriated for running) and another pair of the original design for her.

They are excellent - slight tendency to fog which has been fixed with swim goggle anti-fog.
Quote Reply