Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Super league [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how having an AG race attached helps or your implication that it hurts the product of short course racing. People tune into ITU racing for the specifics of ITU racing, it doesnt matter if they have 4k AG athletes racing the day before or the day of at the event they are broadcasting at. They sign up and watch because it's the premiere olympic pathway athletes. ETA: Regardless if some AG'ers are racing the course or not, they are not part of the "race production broadcast" so I think it's more of an non-issue. It maybe helps, but I don't think it hurts or takes away from short course broadcasting, no AG'er ride and race the way the pros do at SL or ITU.

I think adding an AG event at these events simply offsets some costs and gives them an chance to "race the pros race course" (even if the courses are slightly different). But I don't think it takes away from the viewing, especially at short course style. No one is turning away from ITU or specifically SL because they did the same venue and thus it's not "that hard".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 26, 18 10:11
Quote Reply
Re: Super league [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously what I wrote may be complicated in how I look at sports and broadcast products. The most successful commercial products are ones that the common man can't even think about competing at a high level. Therefore they watch the "gladiators" of our time. As I stated I could see this whole thing falling into stagnation as they'll focus on getting as many AGers on the course as possible.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My point is that these ITU events and SL events while they have an AG race, it takes zero away from the broadcast product. It's an complete seperate intity...unlike in IM events where pro + AG'ers are all the same.

So no, your not going to see SL compromise it's broadcast focus because it does or doesn't have an AG race. It's more exotic locations to say "hey bring your bike too" and then watch the pros 4 hours later.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SL was great! I admit, I didn't want to watch it just b/c of the name, but as I had watched all the triathlonlive races, and it was available, I gave it a try. Man! I'm glad I did! That first race looked brutal. The second...just as bad.

I'm a fan. I think how fun it'd be, but, man, I also think how much it'd hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: Super league [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I think the broadcast product is awesome. I just think they don't need to deal with the whole promotion of an AG race.

Quote Reply
Re: Super league [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
I will say it again......

Super League exposes the ITU racing as the boring, unimaginative, over run focused racing that it is.....

Super League will be the new legitimate world championship for short course triathlon as ITU pack draftathlons continue with their uninspired format that diminishes bike abilities.....

I agree with you about the ITU bike legs...I think the problem is not about drafting...it is about the courses (flat, lap after lap, boring...).I would try to make them more challenging ( hilly, etc), but the problem is that you cannot sell the product if the live spectators cannot see the guys/girls, because triathlon is not like the TourDF with 100 cameras and broadcasting all over the world. I would even include some non drafting races in the series...but imagine how difficult that could be when there are even problems with drafting in IM...
SL format is fun, but transitions take almost more time than the legs (they are too important)...like the supersprint distance for relays...for me, that is not pure ... salable? yes,.. do i like it as a format for ITU? no

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Super league [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can only make certain races hard based on their geography. However I think even Gold Coast has created an “harder” course over the years in flat ass beach area and it’s allowed some better bike tactics.

I think SL is the “all star” event that pays out the pros, so it’s kinda an joint adventure in that the pros are actively pushing SL in their social media posts. I think for that SL can be much more “creative” than regular races. In same light mlb has home run derby or nfl has skills competition as part of its all star events.

Give SL credit they don’t want to overtake or mess up the itu pathway. Notice the races are all “offseason” or on same side of world wts events are (spring race few years ago was after aussie round of itu races).

I think they simply have more freedom and are creating kickass events.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Super league [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably gonna get smacked for saying this, but Super League is just another data thief by walling off their content via private link. They have 9k subscribers on youtube that would receive a notification when they go live. But the event is currently unlisted when you look at their uploads so the only way to watch is to login on their site through three ways: creating an account, google sign in, facebook sign in or twitter sign in. This is idiotic. Makes it impossible to stream via roku with immediate effect.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 27, 18 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, as the saying goes "that's above my pay grade".....I noticed it was still free as part of the itu steaming. I did notice "premium content" on SL's main page, I think that was the 1st I've seen of that when trying to view the race today.

Of course I'll pay the $~25 fee for ITU ever year. I find good quality, and sorta "job expense". So I'm assuming SL at some point is going to venture off on their own and make me pay for it specifically, we'll cross that road when the time comes. I dont know what I would or wouldn't pay, I think they would likely cost it at $~20, anything more than $~30, I'd say wouldn't get many subscribers.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next