Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rackets in the sport [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
pointless_chip wrote:
Dutch Iromans are canceled because IM did not gain enough profit from it. Yet the matches where very popular.. https://trikipedia.nl/...ironman-betreft-tbc/[/url] (Dutch) Hopefully the void will be filled by others...[/quote]

Quote:
could you tell us the gist of that article to which you refer?
Please don't shoot me for my non native English..

There will be no Ironman or Ironman 70.3 in 2019, however there will be a match of the following distance: 1,5K of swimming 40k of biking and 10k of running. The reason is that not enough triatletes are participating in the match (800) and Ironman wants at least 2000. The city Maaststricht in the South of Limburg even wanted to give money for hosting this event, since it attracts many people watching this event. Also the rumored Ironman in Hoorn, province Friesland will not be hold. The American treasurer (if I translate this correctly) said there's not enough profit to host another Ironman already in the last years.
Last edited by: pointless_chip: Oct 5, 18 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: Rackets in the sport [pointless_chip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pointless_chip wrote:
Slowman wrote:
pointless_chip wrote:
Dutch Iromans are canceled because IM did not gain enough profit from it. Yet the matches where very popular.. https://trikipedia.nl/...ironman-betreft-tbc/[/url] (Dutch) Hopefully the void will be filled by others...

Quote:
could you tell us the gist of that article to which you refer?
Please don't shoot me for my non native English..

There will be no Ironman or Ironman 70.3 in 2019, however there will be a match of the following distance: 1,5K of swimming 40k of biking and 10k of running. The reason is that not enough triatletes are participating in the match (800) and Ironman wants at least 2000. The city Maaststricht in the South of Limburg even wanted to give money for hosting this event, since it attracts many people watching this event. Also the rumored Ironman in Hoorn, province Friesland will not be hold. The American treasurer (if I translate this correctly) said there's not enough profit to host another Ironman already in the last years.[/quote]
thank you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Rackets in the sport [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just making an observation... two friends of mine did IMMD and met me the next day at an event I was working. They both showed up decked out in new Ironman hats, shirts and wearing their finisher medals. Its all good and Ironman certainly has a model for making money.

I know people that staff their events, they're well run, very meticulous and good experiences so hats off to them. What I'm not a fan of is their way of killing of smaller and less expensive non-IM options... but that's also a consumer issue too. I liken it to Walmart running out community businesses... but in this case Walmart is actually the higher priced item.

I'm not sure I'd call IM a "racket"... I do get a chuckle (just being honest) when people get their AWA things and post them on social media as if they won an IM or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Rackets in the sport [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand the issues people have with AWA. It is a way for AGers to see where they stand against other AGers

You can race 10 IMs but only your 3 best count towards AWA. I agree with having top 3 races. First of all... it is not easy to put together 3 good races in one season. It's difficult to stay injury free all year. Anyone can train 20 weeks and kill it on race day and take the other 32 weeks off. 2nd the race points are weighted for participation. So if your age group in one race has a higher number of competitors you would get more points than another race that has less athletes in your age group. This prevents cherry picking. It seems pretty well thought out to me.

Would tightening up the required points to make AWA make you feel better about it? For example...doing away with Gold, Silver and Bronze. Just make what is now the Gold level... AWA.

2017 AWA 70.3 for my age group(45-49), there were 169 Gold out of over 16,000 athletes. Top 1 percent. The last Gold had 3 races averaging right around 5 hours
Quote Reply

Prev Next