Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona 15 years ago and today from a fan's perspective
Quote | Reply
How lucky we are these days compared to just 15 years ago. That was the first year WTC broadcast the race live over the internet, the video was spotty and for the most part, we were left listening to the announcers. How things have changed, with Facebook video, the coverage has increased tremendously with "Tour De France" style drone shots from a distance, better splits throughout the race, I can't wait to watch this year's race.
Beyond race day coverage, with Instagram, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, there is a plethora of content to consume pre-race to generate buzz. I'm enjoying watching Talbot Cox's videos, Tim and Rinny, Daniella, LS, Sarah True and others. We have daily pics posted from the big island from the pros who are training there, what golden days these are for fans of the sport.
I should prefix this by stating I grew up watching TV on a 10 inch black and white with 5 - 6 channels and a rotary dial to change channels.
Now we have Siri voice search on apple TV to immediately find loads of content in High Def all at our fingertips.
Cannot wait for this year's race!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 15 years ago and today from a fan's perspective [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ā€œLike buttonā€ pressed.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 15 years ago and today from a fan's perspective [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember having to wait for the ā€˜Kona specialā€™ section in the monthly tri magazine to arrive in order to find out who had won.
Live stream video of the race blows my mind. To actually be able to watch a live video of the race is super cool. Maybe the coverage lags behind other sports but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The coolest part related to Kona 2003.....aside from Peter Reid's last Kona win (hey Lionel, we're waiting for another Canadian win, don't go lose 8 lbs on us the nite before Kona.....go talk to Peter Reid on how to get the win), the coolest part was 3rd place pro was Cam Brown. A young 30 year old who managed to swim and bike with Peter, but got outgunned that day on the run. (Peter ran 2:47, Cam 2:55).

Cam is back in the Kona pro lineup 15 years later at age 45. And, he is not racing age group and most of his recent IM runs are all faster than that old "slow" 2:55.
Quote Reply