Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3
Quote | Reply
Thinking of a slight upgrade this winter and connecting an Inride to my road machine. $50 seems like a bargain but what is the catch?

How annoying is it to calibrate each ride, hook up to your garmin watch/HR monitor and look at data? I'm not doing Zwift or anything fancy but basically I want to know what my FTP is and how to make my workouts more efficient. My indoor rides are generally watching the GCN youtube videos and gauging my effort on feel. I might upgrade the videos to sufferfest or something similar as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The catch is that it doesn't change resistance.

Your garmin will record the power numbers for you but you'll have to do the math to figure your FTP and whatnot. Your head unit should recognize the sensors (HR, cadence, inride) when you turn it on for an indoor ride, so you shouldn't have to pair it every time.

Also, you could get away without calibration if you leave your bike on trainer and keep tire pressure consistent. The calibration is to offset the amount of pressure the trainer puts on the tire; do it after say 10 minutes of warm up.

I'd really consider joining a online site that would record all the info for you automatically, that you can also follow training plans and whatnot. Makes indoor riding much, much more enjoyable. HR, cadence, power, etc all recorded in one spot.

IMO a decent way to upgrade an older model kinetic, especially at $50. I'd consider scouring classifieds for someone dumping a "dumb" rock n roll trainer and upgrade it myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So to preface, I'm an idiot with trainers, but I just got a Kinetic Road Machine 2 Smart from someone for an absolute steal. I grabbed it to replace my dumb trainer.

You mentioned the Garmin picking the sensors up. I haven't hooked the thing up yet, but does it all tie together? I was just going to use the Kinetic app for training, but I have the garmin ANT+ cadence sensor and garmin hrm strap feeding my Forerunner 935. Do I need to do zwift instead and tie everything into that? Seems I have a mix of bluetooth and ANT stuff and don't want to buy more things. I'm not clear how my ANT+ stuff would show up on the kinetic app.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tatonka wrote:
So to preface, I'm an idiot with trainers, but I just got a Kinetic Road Machine 2 Smart from someone for an absolute steal. I grabbed it to replace my dumb trainer.

You mentioned the Garmin picking the sensors up. I haven't hooked the thing up yet, but does it all tie together? I was just going to use the Kinetic app for training, but I have the garmin ANT+ cadence sensor and garmin hrm strap feeding my Forerunner 935. Do I need to do zwift instead and tie everything into that? Seems I have a mix of bluetooth and ANT stuff and don't want to buy more things. I'm not clear how my ANT+ stuff would show up on the kinetic app.

Is it this trainer? https://www.kurtkinetic.com/...c-road-machine-smart

The ant+ stuff will not show up on an iOS device unless you get an adapter for your phone. Your phone can only do Bluetooth without the adapter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used inride for a season and I thought it worked great. It matched very closely with my P1 pedals when calibrated. It did seem to deviate once you start getting closer to 300+ watts though. I believe the inride registered lower than the P1.

Calibrating was simple, but to make things easier, I always left the flywheel in the same position and deflated the tire after each use and reflated to the same psi. I would still do the 10 min calibration, but only because it gave me an opportunity to warm my legs up.

I was able to easily connect it to my iPad via bluetooth and use their Kinetic inRide app to do specific training sessions that are preset on the app. As for quality, mine quit working after 1 season. Changed the battery multiple times and tried moving the battery contact pieces inside the inride, nothing worked. I emailed tech support at Kinetic and they never responded. I've considered purchasing another one simply because I have 2 bikes I use and don't care to swap my p1 pedals over to my road bike.
Last edited by: boyle_supremacy: Oct 2, 18 4:33
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [boyle_supremacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I did a bit more research and it looks like the 3rd version just came out this summer and they are having some software issues but are trying to address them.

As always dcrainmaker does a great job.

I just don't get how it calculates cadence, I have cadence on my Garmin 735, so I'm ok, just didn't know how it worked.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/06/hands-on-kinetic-inride-v2-and-smart-trainers-now-support-dual-ant-bluetooth-smart.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the black model, not sure if that was a 1 or 2? I don't believe it calculated cadence though but not 100% sure and haven't read the specs on inride 3. I have dedicated sensors for cadence.

For $50 it was an incredibly effective power meter in my experience. I just wish it had lasted longer and/or they would have provided customer service when I emailed them. That rubbed me the wrong way. But as I said, I am still willing to repurchase the product if that tells you anything, and I was unaware they have a 3rd iteration.

Thanks
Last edited by: boyle_supremacy: Oct 2, 18 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Tatonka wrote:

The ant+ stuff will not show up on an iOS device unless you get an adapter for your phone. Your phone can only do Bluetooth without the adapter

That's the one. Not sure how everything will talk to swift (using my ant+ cadence and HR strap plus bluetooth from the trainer).

Maybe I'll just spring the 50 bucks for the new Kinetic pod that speaks both. I dunno. Trial and error I guess, I have all winter.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tatonka wrote:
mickison wrote:
Tatonka wrote:

That's the one. Not sure how everything will talk to swift (using my ant+ cadence and HR strap plus bluetooth from the trainer).

Maybe I'll just spring the 50 bucks for the new Kinetic pod that speaks both. I dunno. Trial and error I guess, I have all winter.

From what I understand is that Kurt smart trainer is basically a normal road machine with the original Inride already attached. For $50, I'd get the ant+.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [boyle_supremacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread to see if anyone can share more feedback about the inride 3...

I want to get one for my road machine, to use with trainerroad, but have seen many negative user reviews about software, calibration, and Bluetooth connection problems that are making me hesitant to purchase. I'd be using it on Android device(s) connected via Bluetooth.

Are these types of issues common? Any recommendations for or against getting it?

Any additional feedback will be appreciated, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [Jimmw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one a couple of months back after reading the DC Rainmaker review and the fact that it was $50 made it seem like a no brainer. I was using the Garmin speed/cadence sensor on TR and now use this. I initially wanted to be able to train using my 910XT without having to use TR to train with power. Now that I am back to using TR, it's a bit redundant since I was using virtual power (which is what the inride basically does if I'm not mistaken). That being said, the one thing you can do is calibrate it each time you ride, which is a plus and why I like using the inride instead of the speed/cadence sensor. I still use the Garmin sensor for cadence data, however, since the inride is way off (10+ rpm minimum).

I do have issues with Kurt's mobile app, however. They only recently supported Android, so it was basically unusable for me until that happened. I initially wanted to use the Fit app as a free training software, but soon found out you get what you pay for. It works, but is just meh. I had (and still have) a really hard time connecting to it for updates and calibration, though. I use TR to calibrate the sensor, but it's a 50/50 shot whether or not calibration fails. Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue, though. I also notice that it goes through batteries a lot more than I'd expect (~1 every 3 weeks or so) whereas the Garmin sensor was about 1 per year. I use it roughly 3-4 times per week, so that that for what it's worth.

Overall, I'm glad I bought it so I can use power data without being tied to a laptop, but I do have issues from time to time. Nothing crazy, just don't be surprised if you have to change a battery more than you think.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [jasonyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this feedback, it sounds like you're doing what I intend to with it. Just to clarify, aside from calibration issues, it sounds like you have less problems with TR versus the Kirk ap - is that correct?

I only have an ANT+ speed/cadence sensor now and use my 920xt... I don't want to be tied to a laptop either, but if the inride is not much of an improvement over TR virtual power and has some connection or calibration issues, then I'm questioning whether it's worth getting it vs. just living with the laptop.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the first iteration of the KK InRide for 2 years and if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy it again. I use it with TrainerRoad and I'm very satisfied with my ROI. I use the TR app on iPad, either directly or streaming/mirroring to the TV - never had any connectivity issues.

Sounds like our goals are similar. In a year, I'll do a grand fondo, weekend rides with friends, and maybe a couple Oly or 70.3. While I definitely want to improve, I'm mostly racing against myself, not for podium, and primarily looking for more focused, structured training; especially when weather requires indoor training.

I've been calibrating immediately upon getting on the bike, without the warm-up (didn't even know know that was recommended). I just make sure tire pressure is the same every time. If that means it's not my true FTP, that's fine so long as it's providing me with a consistent power reading using my cold calibration. My outdoor rides are still done by perceived effort and HR, so any discrepancy in true power is moot until plunk down on a "real" power meter.

Only complaint is the cadence and power reading seem sensitive to pedaling that's not perfectly smooth. That may just be the feature of my pedaling - which certainly needs refining - rather than a bug in the system. Notwithstanding, I find that with intervals (even as short as 1 minute), my average cadence and power are consistent to other intervals of relative perceived effort.
Last edited by: mbiemer: Dec 18, 18 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I have way less issues using TR than with the Kirk app. I'm running to my laptop with an ant+ dongle, though, if that matters. I haven't tried connecting to a laptop with bluetooth only and I don't use the TR mobile app for workouts. Since I'm primarily on my laptop now, I'm not sure if I'm gaining anything with the inride vs the speed/cadence sensor other than the ability to calibrate the unit. I always try to run similar PSI and other settings, but feel as though I had been consistent enough for it not to matter too much before I got the inride. For me, it was a way to get power to my Garmin without using TR, but now that I use it again, it's about 50/50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmw wrote:
Bumping this thread to see if anyone can share more feedback about the inride 3...

I want to get one for my road machine, to use with trainerroad, but have seen many negative user reviews about software, calibration, and Bluetooth connection problems that are making me hesitant to purchase. I'd be using it on Android device(s) connected via Bluetooth.

Are these types of issues common? Any recommendations for or against getting it?

Any additional feedback will be appreciated, thanks.

I have yet to make the purchase. With an early snowfall and warmish weather I have been fat biking it mostly. Also with continuing negative reviews and software issues, it sounds like they have given up on it. I might want to change my mind early next month but for now I'm going to hold off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posting an update here as I finally pulled the trigger.

Inride works great. Hooked up to my 735XT no issues, nice $40 power meter. Calibration is pretty straight forward.

As far as the Kinetic Fit App for my android. The thing is awful!! Keeps shutting down as soon as I open it. Tried my first FTP test workout they provided and it froze 5 minutes in. Like the online reviews, the inride hardware is great, but the software app has a lot of bugs.

Will hopefully play with it again tonight or tomorrow.

Does anyone not us the Kinetic App? Or only for Calibration? I'm trying to think of the best way to get a FTP test in if the app keeps freezing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I initially used the KK app on my iPhone with my KKRM & InRide. I agree... I love that total package for its value and performance.

Eventually I jumped to TrainerRoad and never used the KK app again. Most any app like TrainerRoad will do a spin-down calibration also.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Kurt K. InRide 3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Most any app like TrainerRoad will do a spin-down calibration also.

That's great I didn't know that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:

Does anyone not us the Kinetic App? Or only for Calibration? I'm trying to think of the best way to get a FTP test in if the app keeps freezing.

Only for calibration (and even then it can be a PITA as far as not responding, failing to detect sensors, etc.)
Quote Reply