Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lanzarote, France or Austria IM? [RIVTDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have raced Klagenfurt and loved it! We flew to Frankfurt, then Klagenfurt....our bikes did not arrive until 3 days after us:( We were told that if you fly to Vienna, then Klagenfurt, our bikes would have arrived with us as those are wide body jets. We stayed in a hotel that had some family apartments. It was perfect and about mid-way between the Worthersee and Klagenfurt downtown. The swim was really fun, with the last bit in a medieval canal. The bike had some neat climbs and fast descents. The run was pancake flat and very hot! We had a blast and spent two weeks total in Klagenfurt. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The local bike shop downtown was great. After I put my bike together, I brought it to them for a tune up and safety check. I have not done the other two races, but Klagenfurt was a blast:) Good luck and have fun! You can't make a wrong choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote, France or Austria IM? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
After Lanza, no bike course will scare you, which is a nice side-effect.

Embrunman.

Knew I shoouldn't have used a superlative. I've done 14 IM's on 13 courses and that is still the only one that I wouldn't feel confident entering.

I've done Alpe D'Huez triathlon. It has 3200m of climbing in 120km. It cracked me worse than any IM I've done.
A lot of these new extreme triathlons have ridiculous bike course. Embrunman was probably the original extreme triathlon... I think it has close to 5000m of ascent. Uggh.

Speaking of Alpe d'Huez tri, is that happening? Race website still says, "join waiting list" which I did at Xmas time. Not that I am hopeful that any racing will happen in France and any travel quarantines will be lifted for the fully vaccinated returning to Canada, but what the heck, it does not hurt to sit on a wait list. The only issue is hauling 10 extra lbs around the course may be waaaaaay worse than any Covid19 related travel headaches. In terms of that race breaking you, in addition to the 3300m of vertical in only 120km, the other thing is the run is between 6400 ft above sea level and around 7000 ft, so that's like breathing with 75% of the oxygen of sea level.

Back the question on this thread, I did IM France Nice 2010. Super hot day with the entire run in 35C with zero shade. it was quite the death march. I got a KQ on a rolldown. My time in Kona was 15 min slower than Nice. I was 8 minutes slower on the Nice bike, but I had a bad run in Kona and was something like 25 min slower than in Nice. Kona run course was harder, Nice is dead flat. I can't comment on comparison to Lanza and Klagenfurt. I have never done those.
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote, France or Austria IM? [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:
I have raced Klagenfurt and loved it! We flew to Frankfurt, then Klagenfurt....our bikes did not arrive until 3 days after us:( We were told that if you fly to Vienna, then Klagenfurt, our bikes would have arrived with us as those are wide body jets. We stayed in a hotel that had some family apartments. It was perfect and about mid-way between the Worthersee and Klagenfurt downtown. The swim was really fun, with the last bit in a medieval canal. The bike had some neat climbs and fast descents. The run was pancake flat and very hot! We had a blast and spent two weeks total in Klagenfurt. I would do it again in a heartbeat. The local bike shop downtown was great. After I put my bike together, I brought it to them for a tune up and safety check. I have not done the other two races, but Klagenfurt was a blast:) Good luck and have fun! You can't make a wrong choice.

Why is everyone responding to a question posed 2 1/2 years ago?
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote, France or Austria IM? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe 'cause everybody is bored to death!!!!!!!! give us the fucking bibs!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote, France or Austria IM? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
charlietris wrote:

Why is everyone responding to a question posed 2 1/2 years ago?

I don't know, but it made me want to do Lanzarote!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote, France or Austria IM? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiousity I just went to the IMFrance and IM70.3 Nice websites and see they are all sold out for the Sep 2021 dates.
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote, France or Austria IM? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Out of curiousity I just went to the IMFrance and IM70.3 Nice websites and see they are all sold out for the Sep 2021 dates.

I looked up flights for this Lanzarote that still supposedly scheduled in July . . . only ~$3k for business class on BA, pretty nuts. Flights weren't terrible in terms of scheduling either. Just have a hard time believing the event will happen, or that COVID wouldn't make travel otherwise impossible.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Lanzarote, France or Austria IM? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Speaking of Alpe d'Huez tri, is that happening? Race website still says, "join waiting list" which I did at Xmas time. Not that I am hopeful that any racing will happen in France and any travel quarantines will be lifted for the fully vaccinated returning to Canada, but what the heck, it does not hurt to sit on a wait list. The only issue is hauling 10 extra lbs around the course may be waaaaaay worse than any Covid19 related travel headaches. In terms of that race breaking you, in addition to the 3300m of vertical in only 120km, the other thing is the run is between 6400 ft above sea level and around 7000 ft, so that's like breathing with 75% of the oxygen of sea level.

Back the question on this thread, I did IM France Nice 2010. Super hot day with the entire run in 35C with zero shade. it was quite the death march. I got a KQ on a rolldown. My time in Kona was 15 min slower than Nice. I was 8 minutes slower on the Nice bike, but I had a bad run in Kona and was something like 25 min slower than in Nice. Kona run course was harder, Nice is dead flat. I can't comment on comparison to Lanza and Klagenfurt. I have never done those.

I'm rolled over from last year, but it is a big unknown.
France is starting to do much better on vaccine rollout, but will it be enough? Who knows.
I know my wife and I will both have dose 2 by late June, so I'm not too worried about my vaccine status.
I have flights I have already booked because changes are free right now, but nothing else. No car, no accommodation, nothing.
That and I haven't swam since... December and no idea when the pools will reopen here.
I can half-ass my way through 2.2km of swimming but I'd rather not.
Quote Reply

Prev Next