Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

tubeless air travel
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

The airline will want to make sure I deflate my tires. What's the lowest pressure in PSI I can go with my tires so that I won't unseat the tires on my tubeless DT Swiss ARC 1100 80s? Also, will I need to add more latex before I pump them up after the flight? (the flight is literally 40 minutes but it's too an island so it's not easy to get there without flying) I am not sure that I will have access to an air compressor to re-seat the tires.

Worst comes to worst, I will bring tubes and get a little messy to change over to tubes and tires, but I really love riding tubeless and hope I can make this work but never traveled with tubeless before. Anyone who has done this, I would love your advice!
Quote Reply
Re: tubeless air travel [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a 40 min flight, the plane won't actually get very high. Just deflate to ~40-50PSI, which shouldn't unseat. You've deflated, just not completely... FWIW, I never completely deflate my tyres so that the rim gets a bit of extra protection.

Bring a Presta-to-Shrader adaptor and some extra sealant, so that worst case - most petrol station pumps will be enough to reseat the tyre.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: tubeless air travel [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
It's a 40 min flight, the plane won't actually get very high. Just deflate to ~40-50PSI, which shouldn't unseat. You've deflated, just not completely... FWIW, I never completely deflate my tyres so that the rim gets a bit of extra protection.

Bring a Presta-to-Shrader adaptor and some extra sealant, so that worst case - most petrol station pumps will be enough to reseat the tyre.

Thanks! Wow...totally not car centric in my life and forgot gas stations have compressors :D Great tip, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is using a CO2 an option? Assuming you can get them at your destination, as flying with them's not really an option.

Stuart

===
iSMARTtrain - Mac training software for Garmin, SRM, PowerTap & Polar
http://www.ismarttrain.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That adaptor is basic equipment for any mountainbiker ;)

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: tubeless air travel [tevendale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tevendale wrote:
Is using a CO2 an option? Assuming you can get them at your destination, as flying with them's not really an option.

Stuart

Unfortunately, using C02 isn't an option as it will freeze the latex sealant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have flown with my gravel bike several times. My tires are deflated to less than 10 psi without issue. No co2, just floor pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - that's good to know!

Stuart

===
iSMARTtrain - Mac training software for Garmin, SRM, PowerTap & Polar
http://www.ismarttrain.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
tevendale wrote:

Stuart

Unfortunately, using C02 isn't an option as it will freeze the latex sealant.
And then the latex sealant would eventually defrost or are you worried it will clog the valve?

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: tubeless air travel [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi @Bw_Tri,

Stuck on the side of the road with no other option, I would try the CO2 for sure!

But freezing the latex will alter its properties and make it less reliable; given it's only helpful it if works when its needed, I don't want to take the chance on it with race tires on race day. I was told this by a rep from one of the sealant brands (can't remember which) last year at the Taipei bike exhibit. Never tried C02 with latex sealant in a tube or tire before myself, so I'm going with this advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what type of sealant Orange Seal is but no issues with Co2 with it.

Sounds like some other solid options were mentioned in this thread already though.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply