Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Atlantic City Debacle
Quote | Reply
I'm going to preface this by saying that Delmo does a great job promoting his races and giving the athletes what they want. I have nothing against him personally.

Now, onto my experience from 70.3 AC. I was one of the first athletes out of the water and onto the bike course. The first loop was completely empty sense I was at the pointy end of the race. By mile 15 myself and 2 other athletes caught up to the lead biker and therefore the lead motorcycle (an AC Police Officer). My thought was the lead moto was on course for the first loop and would peel off for the 2nd loop. This was not the case. We were flying up the expressway with a police lead out. He had his siren going so the athletes ahead could move over. However, they could not get over fast enough (due to the crowded course) and we ended up bunched up behind the moto on the expressway - yes, drafting off the moto and each other.

The course was NOT CLOSED TO TRAFFIC. The right travel line on the expressway was, but just to the left of the cones were cars zipping by at 60mph. With us coming up at 30mph the athletes ahead of us were not expecting this (even after calling on your left) and constantly swung out in front of me and the other 2 guys up front. On multiple occasions I nearly had to go outside the cones into traffic - which in all likelihood would have resulted in me getting hit by a car and killed.

Once we were off the expressway, things did not improve. On the loop section of the course athletes were spread across the entire road. I was hardly able to ride on the right side of the yellow line at all. Again, the moto was right in front of us trying to get everyone over (which also is completely unfair to our competitors who had to weave their way through people by themselves).

My race ended at mile 30 when I hit the ground around a busy corner with tons of patches in the pavement about probably 40 bottles scattered throughout the intersection from athletes ejecting them. After getting up and seeing that my basebar had snapped I waited for a ride back to transition. During this, I was talking to the police officers at the intersection. They agreed with me in that it was the biggest shit show they had ever seen. There were so many athletes on such a tight course that even clearing the dropped bottles off the road was impossible - which became their job (rather than directing traffic) as there were no volunteers at the corner.

Once I arrived at transition the med tent was starting to get busy with everyone who had crashed. The guy next to me had been run over by another rider, reports of people being unconscious on the course, ect.

Overall, a terrible race experience for me. I will never do this race again due to the sheer lack of saftey. IMO, Ironman needs to take a serious look at what their race directors are doing with their courses. This was a flat course - no technical descents or anything like that. There shouldn't be as many bike accidents as there were.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Atlantic City Debacle [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have been the guy next to you in medical that got run over be another rider....I just started another thread on this. I was also near the front of the bike, got cut off in the very narrow lanes on the second loop, swerved left to avoid a a crash, hit a cone, flipped, another guy ran me over. 3 days in the hospital with broken ribs and collapsed lung. Kona is out this year.

Bummed but not sure what I could have done differently. It was really crowded on the second loop....not sure if anyone is to blame but definitely a bummer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The basic reality was there were too many people on a 3-loop narrow bike course. Yes we had the shoulder on the expressway but everyone stayed in the right lane to avoid dealing with the rumblestrip. There was very little actual room to pass safely. I wasn't at the VERY front of the race with the moto, but was only about 5 minutes behind that, so I basically had the same experience as you but without the complication of the moto being in the way.

The back of the pack people were not prepared to have front-pack racers whizzing by them.

The bike course on the expressway works really well when it's used for the Oly in August with 500 people. But with 2000+ people all crammed into a 20 mile stretch of roadway to make a 56 mile course it just didn't work from a safety or racing perspective. I lost a ton of time on my second lap due to traffic. Then the third lap was just too crowded to ride fast safely. The rain didn't help things, but that's obviously nobody's fault, but it did exacerbate the problem as it greatly reduced many potential passing areas due to slippery pavement.

It's really my only complaint about the race. I had a great time, and raced well. A consequence of not riding nearly as fast as I would have liked was that I had a killer run split though as I got off the bike way fresher than I perhaps should have. I just wish something could be done about the bike course. Even making it extend out a little farther to make two laps instead of three would help a ton. We would still run into the back of the pack, but it wouldn't necessarily be all the crowded. I do understand the challenges Delmo has with getting a bike course together in this area. I get it, I really do. It's a great race in a fun venue, I just wish the bike course was safer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, sounds terrible.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Atlantic City Debacle [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with everything said thus far. I raced here last year and for some reason it was not nearly as bad as it was this year.

If they would sweep and blow off the shoulder on the Expressway, I would have ridden in there.

Sorry to hear about those that crashed. I definitely breathed a sigh of relief when I got off that Expressway on the way home to T2. It could have happened to anyone out there!

I complained last year in the post race survey and will do the same this year. DelMoSports certainly seems to listen to the criticism and should try to do something about it. If they don’t, I am out too! It’s a shame because it is a fun race!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Atlantic City Debacle [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I complained last year in the post race survey and will do the same this year. DelMoSports certainly seems to listen to the criticism and should try to do something about it. If they don’t, I am out too! It’s a shame because it is a fun race! //

Sounds like you just made an argument that they "Dont" listen to criticism. So now 2 years in a row, you give it 3 before you are out??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wasnt there this year but was last year and have read quite a bit about what happened. Im a BOPer and can see how you fast folks can get a bit frustrated. people were coming out of the water long before i got in last year. i was passing people for the first stretch out there until i got a penalty for drafting then kept doing so, as i was getting passed. i was definitely a bit close to the wheel but had people on my tail and was boxed in by people NOT passing me. off to the crowded penalty box. was like a preseason hockey game with so many in there for 5 minutes. agree that the lane being blocked off does not constitute a closed course. and yeah, i'm not going to bunny hop over rumble strips, i lost that skill back in my BMX days as a kid. and since this race attracts a lot of new racers, its even more crazy out there.

i love the run course, no hiding from the sun last year.

Delmo does listen to the athletes and when people fill out their surveys, he will read them. he does take his job seriously and his team is very dedicated to the athlete experience. if they could figure out how to get people in the water faster and stretch the bike course out to an even 2 laps, it would make a big difference i think. I did IMMT this year and think all of us were in the water in 20 minutes at that rate, the swim would spread out and then the bike even more so. maybe they could use more of the ACE? maybe do what they do at IMMT and shut down one side of the highway for a few hours and give the race a full side, which would be more space (3 lanes plus the shoulder for emergency)? i know its a busy road but HWY 117 is a transcontinental road that was pretty busy.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Atlantic City Debacle [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I complained last year in the post race survey and will do the same this year. DelMoSports certainly seems to listen to the criticism and should try to do something about it. If they don’t, I am out too! It’s a shame because it is a fun race! //

Sounds like you just made an argument that they "Dont" listen to criticism. So now 2 years in a row, you give it 3 before you are out??

Very fair statement... I shouldn’t expect much to be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't have the same experience you did. I think the combination of rain and inexperienced riders was the problem. For the most part I was able to ride my own race, with only a couple of people blocking me. I gave up on keeping any speed through the corners because of the other riders. Otherwise, I felt comfortable cornering in the conditions when I could. I just wished I would have pushed harder on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this race (and the AC tri) just about every year in every course format and never had an issue with course safety. The third loop of the "lollipop" is crowded for the early racers, but that whole section was effectively closed to traffic (I never saw a car) so crossing centerline occasionally to make a pass was fine. There's only a short period (maybe 10mins) where all 2000 athletes are on the loop. That's one athlete every 50feet or so, which is tight, but manageable for a very brief time. Rest of the course is so flat, straight and wide enough that as long as riders are predictable in their movements it's pretty easy to make passes. Just about everyone I saw was good about keeping right, so I only had to pause a couple times late in the race before making a pass.
If there are more athletes getting injured in this race than others (which I have no idea if true) than I understand the safety criticisms, but I'd be surprised if that's the case.
It's unfortunate that anyone had a crash, but taking a corner too hard in the rain and going down doesn't strike me as a problem with course design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did AC this year and the bike was pretty bad. What the OP didn't mention was the rain. Lots of rain. Some of the accidents I saw on the bike were rider error taking tight corners (like the on-ramp hairpin at the turnaround) in an unsafe manner for the road conditions. Others, like yours perhaps - I think I may have saw you go down based on your description of the place and circumstances - were just an unfortunate combination of "crap". I couldn't believe the drafting and the number of dropped/discarded bottles on the road - what a disaster waiting to happen, especially under the conditions. I've never seen anything quite like that. Saw many other accidents that day that looked just awful. I feel like the rain was a major contributor, and the crowded bike course just made the drafting and unsafe conditions all the worse. Like the other person here, I was SUPER happy to be exiting that course and headed in to T2 still in one piece. Hope the OP is feeling better.
Quote Reply