Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cockpit or helmet - greatest aero gain
Quote | Reply
I’m looking to upgrade my bike/extras over the winter. With cost being a factor in my reckoning I wondered what the communities feel is regarding watts saved. I plan to buy a disc for the rear, the aerocoach is getting some great reviews and fits in my price bracket.

The next question is whether I should get the helmet or upgrade my TT bars to a carbon 3T setup or suchlike. I currently have a set of profile design basic TT bars with Di2 fitted, they’re not exactly sleek in design.

Helmet wise I have a s-works evade right now but considered upgrading to a mask bambino or Bell.

Clearly the two options have a bit of a difference in cost, helmet considerably cheaper. Just wondered what people thought and if there was any data out there to quantify it all.

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit or helmet - greatest aero gain [tomcrofts88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a better base bar. Keep the Profile aerobars. The biggest factor for aero, comfort, and speed is your position, and to optimize that, you need highly adjustable bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomcrofts88 wrote:
I’m looking to upgrade my bike/extras over the winter. With cost being a factor in my reckoning I wondered what the communities feel is regarding watts saved. I plan to buy a disc for the rear, the aerocoach is getting some great reviews and fits in my price bracket.

The next question is whether I should get the helmet or upgrade my TT bars to a carbon 3T setup or suchlike. I currently have a set of profile design basic TT bars with Di2 fitted, they’re not exactly sleek in design.

Helmet wise I have a s-works evade right now but considered upgrading to a mask bambino or Bell.

Clearly the two options have a bit of a difference in cost, helmet considerably cheaper. Just wondered what people thought and if there was any data out there to quantify it all.

TIA
Slam-dunk easy option is a Bell Javelin helmet. You can get those all day long for $60-$80 USD. They test very well for most people. If you have budget, then a helmet like the Giro Aerohead or LG P-09, both of which are close to the top, though they are more expensive.

A new cockpit is at least 2x the cost of a good aero helmet. And, I do not think it will give you the same gains. Though, the Tririg Alpha X on sale for $750 is actually a great value. It is still expensive compared to aluminum base bar or a number of carbons, but it is the better performer.
Quote Reply
Re: Cockpit or helmet - greatest aero gain [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my initial thought. Helmet would be the more cost effective for most gain. Maybe if I can find a cheap base bar too I could be in business. Or just re-mortgage the house!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheelcover, a really good fit (position is everything) and then a helmet that fits your position. Good luck!
Quote Reply