Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fractured Ribs after being Kicked in Tri [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
You don't get swum over unless you're a slow BBOPer that gets taken over by a fast wave. Read my post above to see how it can happen easily in a scrum, and how I've been on both the giving and receiving end of it, despite never, in my wildest dreams, ever imaging I would ever swim over someone.

And sure, if I swim over someone accidentally as the situation above, I do expect to get punched back. BUT - if I'm the one swum over, I do NOT punch back. Sorry, that's also just a d*k move. People aren't trying to drown you in triathlon - you just got stuck in the wrong place at the wrong time as a slow swimmer if you got swum over. I literaly had to just streamline and lie still while like 10+ women in a row swam right on top of me when i sucked at swimming. I can guarantee that zero of them intended to do that, and all of the would have steered clear if they had a chance of seeing me (they were in a fast swim draft line.) And I was all alone when it started (got dropped cold by my wave), so it even happens when the lead swimmer is a good swimmer and there is plenty of room - turns out that buoy line is a popular line!

If it were a pack of testosterony dudes, I might have said "overcompetitive jerks from testosterone", but I can guarantee that if 10 women swam over me, it was NOT because they were out to kill me.

Either way, I still think it's a total lame move to think you can kick someone off your feet. I will bet odds are farrrr higher that what you think is a controlled, non-injurious kick, would feel like a devastating shot to the head or arm if you were receiving your own kick in the frenzy of a packed race situation.

You can be maxi competitive while still be considerate to the folks around you.

Wrong. I’m FOP. It’s easy to swim over top of someone if you can touch their toes. Did you see the first buoy carnage at world champs last week? I think swimming over top of someone is more likely at fop in first 200m as everyone tries go out hard. Unless fop always means you have to be actually leading..,
Quote Reply
Re: Fractured Ribs after being Kicked in Tri [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTFU. This happened to me too in Cuba! I finished the 70.3 (poorly), locked my wounds from being a FOP swimmer and catching the wave in front of me, causing the accident in the first place. If I (and you) weren’t so fast, we would not have made contact in the first place. Own it, learn from it and move on.

BTW, your post helped me, as I race again in ~36 hours and I will remember to be more cautious this time. My age and gender put me in one of the last waves and this is likely to happen again;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Fractured Ribs after being Kicked in Tri [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best of luck. Use some MMA skills if needed.🙂🤣
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so sorry to hear about your rib situation-I can relate..

I had to stop one of my races previously from the MMA artist who side kicked my ribs very hard, but only bruised, fortunately. And I've had multiple
rib fractures so I know when I'm sleeping on my back for weeks with a pillow.

And I'm an improved AOS swimmer now in the FOMOP and I still do not like the contact. When it happens, my reaction
is to stay extended and NOT kick until they move out of the way. Safer but slower-price I pay.

I got kicked squarely in the nose at AC 70.3 about 2-3 minutes into the scrum and it startled me enough to actually stop for about 30 seconds to regain my composure and restart to swim. The water was dark, and we were jammed into a bottleneck so when there is no space, I understand there is going
to be an increase in the contact.

Rest and heal up! You'll have to decide how to deal with the next BIG contact in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke a guys nose accidentally during the swim once. This dude was just zig zagging all over and not sighting for shit. At one point he crossed almost perpendicular to me. As my left hand recovered and was about to reenter the water, he crossed into my path, and i hit him right in the nose as he was turning to breathe. Big bloody mess.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Fractured Ribs after being Kicked in Tri [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna 2nd this theory.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Fractured Ribs after being Kicked in Tri [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
You don't get swum over unless you're a slow BBOPer that gets taken over by a fast wave. Read my post above to see how it can happen easily in a scrum, and how I've been on both the giving and receiving end of it, despite never, in my wildest dreams, ever imaging I would ever swim over someone.

You can be maxi competitive while still be considerate to the folks around you.

Addressing your point in bold, I have to respectfully disagree. Fast swimmers (I'm a +/- 50 min 2.4 swimmer [at least in a pool.. fast as 1.2 in the way was 23 and change]) can get swum over by other equally fast swimmers. People lose their line, try and draft too tight etc. Some people just like to swim too tight on others. Some people don't just draft: they grab ankles, backs and arms to pull themselves forward.

Have you ever had someone tailgate you even though you were driving in the slow lane and there was plenty of space to pass on the left? Same thing.

Those people still don't deserve to get kicked, but if someone intentionally keeps grabbing my shoulder/arm/leg outside the scrum, they deserve to be flipped/rolled
Last edited by: davejustdave: Sep 27, 18 20:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YTZ wrote:
Perp wasn't boxed in. Either panicked and breast stroke kicked or was intentional. I swim alot done lots of tris ,>100. gotten kicked before. Never this hard and never with this much intention. I've moved on to acceptance until I have to laugh cough or lay down...🤢

You put 3 min on him in 500 yards. He was probably not a very experienced or confident swimmer, or both. You touching his feet might have caused a panic, or he might have tought that that was rude and reacted in a reflex. He shouldn't have kicked, it's his fault, but you could also have a little more understanding for his situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Fractured Ribs after being Kicked in Tri [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand everytime I breathe move or attempt to lie down. Stuff happens moving on....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I’m gonna get flamed for this...

What a pathetic thread. I’ve been in triathlon since 1988, and think it’s awful that the sport has come to this.

HTFU, etc. whatever.

The water is a dangerous place. I lifeguarded for many years (high school and college years). We should have more respect for our fellow athletes. Any age grouper that pulls ANY of these stunts in the water is a D-bag. Period.

For a few minutes in a triathlon, so many are willing to jeopardize the safety of other competitors? Pathetic .

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YTZ wrote:
I understand everytime I breathe move or attempt to lie down. Stuff happens moving on....

It's a bitter pill to swallow, and I know how painful it is (see earlier comment on recovery from similar injury, the hardest was getting up each day, despite being able to do most things and train, I had to sleep in my least favourite position, on my back, for over a month). Hope you recover quick, and that you didn't have any big races planned in the next 6 weeks or so.
Quote Reply

Prev Next